No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056763
11/20/20 04:53 PM
11/20/20 04:53 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
When I was 12 or so and out of school on summer break dad taught me a valuable lesson. We had been processing cattle all week and finally had them all done. Long days up at 5:30 and worked until dark. If I remember right it was a Saturday and I was thinking I might go fishing in the afternoon. After we ate lunch I asked dad if he had plans for me in the afternoon. He said he had a very important thing he need to teach my older brother and I over at the farm. I remember being disappointed to say the least and he could see that in my facial expressions. He told us it would only take a few hours and IF we listened to what he was going to show us. We and our future families would never ever go a day without a meal. When we got to the farm there was 3 shovels leaning up against the old feed mill.

He said “boys I know you have used a shovel but I’m going to show you the correct way to use one. The correct way will save your back and if it comes to it someday you need to know this. Somebody always needs shovel work done. Now grab one and let’s get to it”

I’ll never forget that lesson, and yes there is a correct way to run a shovel

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7056766
11/20/20 05:00 PM
11/20/20 05:00 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I don't understand why a job has to be only what you're qualified in. If it's crisis time, any job will do until the qualified job comes available. I just don't understand the mindset that it has to be only one kind of job or nothing.

It does not have to be, I went from ranch foreman/manager for the last 20 years to a Mortgage Loan Officer this year. I still have all my own cattle and manage our own ranch, but am getting income from a totally different field of work that I have never been in. Neither one of these jobs are related to anything that I went to college for, but I have been in ranching my entire life. Its not impossible to find good jobs and good paying jobs out there today, you just have to broaden your outlook on what you are capable of.

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056767
11/20/20 05:01 PM
11/20/20 05:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I run a shovel my whole life.
Started off on the RR shovelling crushed rock and pit run gravel in summer and snow in winter.
If you're a Canuck you are pretty much born with a shovel in your hand for removing snow.
And yes there is a correct way to heave a heavy shovel full of wet snow all day long without ruining your back or having a heart attack.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Boco] #7056772
11/20/20 05:09 PM
11/20/20 05:09 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Boco
I run a shovel my whole life.
Started off on the RR shovelling crushed rock and pit run gravel in summer and snow in winter.
If you're a Canuck you are pretty much born with a shovel in your hand for removing snow.
And yes there is a correct way to heave a heavy shovel full of wet snow all day long without ruining your back or having a heart attack.

Some up that way make it in hockey. Hockey sticks are much lighter than shovels. laugh

No Jab.
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056777
11/20/20 05:15 PM
11/20/20 05:15 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Get not just one job but two !

Trap later

You could always set some mouse traps at your mother's house

Last edited by AntiGov; 11/20/20 05:36 PM.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056778
11/20/20 05:17 PM
11/20/20 05:17 PM
Pennsylvania
A
archeryisking Offline
trapper
archeryisking  Offline
trapper
A

Pennsylvania
If I had to move back in with my mother after living on my own, the absolute last thing on my mind would be how to run my line. I’d be looking under rocks for jobs trying to get back out on my own. Some folks are too proud anymore.

I seem to recall during the economic downturn in 2008, fruit was rotting on the trees in the South. Several states (Georgia?) had employment programs that would have resulted in those who were recently laid off getting a salary for picking fruit. Benefits both the farmers and the job seekers. Seems the program failed as most of the recently jobless felt they were above picking fruit. I’d have been covered up in peaches.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: upstateNY] #7056786
11/20/20 05:25 PM
11/20/20 05:25 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by PAskinner
I think you should trap for a living. Don't pay any attention to these guys. Move into a tent, live off the land, and eat beaver and raccoons. You don't need no stinking job!

Yea,,thats the spirit! At $3.80 average for green coon,,the money will start piling up in no time.And don't spend good money on some fancy tent,,when a tarp will do just fine.

Hey, as I always say if you are going to follow your dream, jump in with both feet! You don't really need much money if you ditch the vehicle, and modern amenities, like Toilet paper and toothpaste.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056805
11/20/20 05:37 PM
11/20/20 05:37 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Heck just go beat up the mayor, get free room and board at the local klink, three squares a day and ask for work release to rid town of problem furbearers. Obviously apologize to the mayor or this plan will never work. Or work any job out there and get on your feet so you can trap again.

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056811
11/20/20 05:54 PM
11/20/20 05:54 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Hahaha. Silly poster.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7056898
11/20/20 06:52 PM
11/20/20 06:52 PM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I don't understand why a job has to be only what you're qualified in. If it's crisis time, any job will do until the qualified job comes available. I just don't understand the mindset that it has to be only one kind of job or nothing.

Millennials. "This is my profession and this is the amount of compensation I expect. Oh, and I'll expect a promotion in my first year."

Probably a little irresponsible to paint all millenials with such a broad brush.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: BraskaYoter] #7056903
11/20/20 06:57 PM
11/20/20 06:57 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by BraskaYoter
Heck just go beat up the mayor, get free room and board at the local klink, three squares a day and ask for work release to rid town of problem furbearers. Obviously apologize to the mayor or this plan will never work. Or work any job out there and get on your feet so you can trap again.

I like this guy's thinking

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056905
11/20/20 07:01 PM
11/20/20 07:01 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
.... stay in the government woods and live off what you trap ...just move your camp every 3 days and you’ll be fine

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056909
11/20/20 07:02 PM
11/20/20 07:02 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I moved too, don’t have a garage anymore. When I moved a bought a horse trailer for $1,000 cause it was cheaper than renting a uhaul, and that’s my fur shed this season. Hopefully by next season I’ll have my real fur shed built

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056923
11/20/20 07:25 PM
11/20/20 07:25 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by TrapperLibrarian
Hey, all,

I lost my job on Wednesday. I'm going to have to go stay with my mother while I job hunt, who is a wonderful person, but is anti-trapping. She lives in an apartment in a fast-growing, wealthier area than the poor rural area I've been living in for the past year. The trapping season in North Carolina goes until February 28 and beaver trapping goes until March 31. I caught my first coon of the season on game land just before I lost my job. I want to keep trapping this season, but I am uncertain now of how to do it logistically. I may be able to find trapping opportunities on private land in the area I'm moving to, or else I can trap on the game lands in the area. But how am I going to put up fur? I can't do the fur handling in my mother's apartment like I could at my own house. The only solution I can see is, if I catch fur on game land, I could do the skinning at my trap sites or at a game land campground and maybe also the fleshing. I don't know how I'm going to put up the fur, unless I can rent some kind of storage shed or else convince my mother to let me use a spare room in the apartment.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thank you!

Kris

If you have a local buyer,,sell in the round.Or,,skin out on the line and sell in the grease.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: upstateNY] #7056931
11/20/20 07:37 PM
11/20/20 07:37 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by TrapperLibrarian
Hey, all,

I lost my job on Wednesday. I'm going to have to go stay with my mother while I job hunt, who is a wonderful person, but is anti-trapping. She lives in an apartment in a fast-growing, wealthier area than the poor rural area I've been living in for the past year. The trapping season in North Carolina goes until February 28 and beaver trapping goes until March 31. I caught my first coon of the season on game land just before I lost my job. I want to keep trapping this season, but I am uncertain now of how to do it logistically. I may be able to find trapping opportunities on private land in the area I'm moving to, or else I can trap on the game lands in the area. But how am I going to put up fur? I can't do the fur handling in my mother's apartment like I could at my own house. The only solution I can see is, if I catch fur on game land, I could do the skinning at my trap sites or at a game land campground and maybe also the fleshing. I don't know how I'm going to put up the fur, unless I can rent some kind of storage shed or else convince my mother to let me use a spare room in the apartment.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thank you!

Kris

If you have a local buyer,,sell in the round.Or,,skin out on the line and sell in the grease.

Pffft. Now you're going to be Mr. nice guy finding out the OP is a single 37 yr old gal with a $100,000 a yr career. grin

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056957
11/20/20 08:02 PM
11/20/20 08:02 PM
ontario canada
K
Knappett Offline
trapper
Knappett  Offline
trapper
K

ontario canada
Windsor! Your practically a yankee lol. And ya shoveling! Its incredible what a man can do with a shovel, when we ran a barge doing island septics my hands would be shaped to the handle of a shovel till I pretty much had to take it home with me

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7056965
11/20/20 08:06 PM
11/20/20 08:06 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Sometimes it's like jumping in a tank of piranhas around here, lol.

grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056987
11/20/20 08:21 PM
11/20/20 08:21 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
I agree with Paul pick up and move to where there is work maybe learn a new trade it might be a blessing in disguise. Right now you are sure not going to make money trapping. I guess if you do sell to a local buyer, hook up with another trapper or live out of your truck camping and call it an adventure. I am guessing your single and no kids if so call that an opportunity and blessing, no one else to worry about and you can live anywhere. I am not making light of the covid situation or losing a job but America and people everywhere in this world have been through a lot worse. Keep going forward and be accepting that you might have to get tough for awhile. Always count the blessings you have especially if you have your health. Take care of the health or nothing else is possible best wishes and keep going. You did not say what kind of work you were in or looking for but someone on the site might be able to help you relocate with a job.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056993
11/20/20 08:24 PM
11/20/20 08:24 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Critter_Dung,,I been "inspired" LOL smile P:S: Im happily married and my wife makes more than that.Also,we have kids not too much younger than her.

Last edited by upstateNY; 11/20/20 08:26 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7057012
11/20/20 08:38 PM
11/20/20 08:38 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA