No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote Home Range #7063467
11/26/20 10:00 AM
11/26/20 10:00 AM
Eastern Iowa
P
PinkyP Offline OP
trapper
PinkyP  Offline OP
trapper
P

Eastern Iowa
What would be an average home range of our Eastern Iowa coyotes?
I was always told to stay put on a good farm and they will keep filtering back in as long as there's food and water.
You would have to move quite a few miles and set traps in order to set on new coyotes. What do you think?

Member of the NTA, FTA and ITA
Re: Coyote Home Range [Re: PinkyP] #7063475
11/26/20 10:05 AM
11/26/20 10:05 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
catch slows way down if you stay put. if its not a big deal to check, like with binoculars from the coumty road on your way to check fresh sets, sure leave em be

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Coyote Home Range [Re: PinkyP] #7064265
11/26/20 10:23 PM
11/26/20 10:23 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by PinkyP
What would be an average home range of our Eastern Iowa coyotes?
I was always told to stay put on a good farm and they will keep filtering back in as long as there's food and water.
You would have to move quite a few miles and set traps in order to set on new coyotes. What do you think?

I think it varies quite a bit around the countryside depending on numerous factors too many to take into effect. Here I'd say it's one family group every 2-3 miles when I've located by howling. It could take weeks to have coyotes "filter" back in depending on the population around.

Some places will have more coyotes. I killed 14 off of about 3 miles earlier this year in a couple weeks. The draw was a hog unit which had more than the average coyotes visiting. I caught them fast and it fizzled but it was close to home and let me scratch the itch. I hadn't been there for two weeks. I went back today after we got an inch of rain and was going to reset. One set of coyote tracks is all I could find on the properties so I passed it up for now. Might come back later if I notice activity.

If you're trying to put any number of coyotes up you'd be better off taking the first few nights worth and moving on. If you run out of ground circle back later. If you're proficient you'll be checking empty traps for a while waiting for more to come. If you're just doing it for the fun of it probably doesn't matter.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Coyote Home Range [Re: PinkyP] #7064710
11/27/20 10:03 AM
11/27/20 10:03 AM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
It depends on the carrying capacity of the land, it would be much different where you are than up here in the woods, I am told a rough figure for up here is 10 square miles for coyote family and 100 square miles for a wolf pack.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread