No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7073228
12/04/20 12:13 PM
12/04/20 12:13 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Don't you guys know there are grocery stores to get your food where no animals have to be harmed?

You could use all that time to watch sports instead.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 12/04/20 12:14 PM.
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7073250
12/04/20 12:40 PM
12/04/20 12:40 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Really great replies so far. I realize the luck that ensured i was born here as opposed to in the city somewhere, to have had the mentors and opportunities I have had.

I am 34, and thinking about having a kid or two now, so things will likely slow a bit because of that but the goal is to do this forever.

Things wont slow down at all when you have kids,Hutchy.
They will become part of what you do and your life will be much fuller for it.
My son came bear hunting with me when he was 3 months old.
If trapping hunting and fishing is a way of life for your family that wont change when you have kids.Your kids will become a part of it.
You will make sacrifices if you put your kids into organized sports like hockey at a young age.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Providence Farm] #7073282
12/04/20 01:29 PM
12/04/20 01:29 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Don't you guys know there are grocery stores to get your food where no animals have to be harmed?

You could use all that time to watch sports instead.

Lol

I never watched sports with any regularity now. What makes you think I would start?

Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7073284
12/04/20 01:36 PM
12/04/20 01:36 PM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
It's been the driving force of my entire life. Always hard at it for as long as I can remember. When a wife then kids came along that now hunt, it really keeps me humping to make it all come together. My boy is still too young to help with stands, skinning and dragging. I've had nights with 5 or 6 deer on the truck and I'm the only one that skins and processes. I thought I might slow down coming up on 50 but I'm not sure that I can. My son wanted to shoot or catch everything from the time he could speak, just waiting until it's HIS turn to drag the ol man's buck![img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7073288
12/04/20 01:44 PM
12/04/20 01:44 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I seriously can't think of anything (other than combat fishing for steelhead and chinook) that occurs within a hundred miles of me that I don't partake in, and that's pretty much 365 days of the year. Black bears, white-tails, elk, pronghorn, wolves, coyotes, red foxes, marten, mink, badgers, beaver, weasels, skunks, coon, cottontails, chukars, huns, blue grouse, ruffed grouse, spruce grouse, mourning doves, Eurasian collared doves, whitefish, smallmouth bass, crappie, rainbows, eastern brook trout, catfish, bullheads, yellow perch, carp, red squirrels, etc. Can't imagine life any other way.

Jack

Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7073292
12/04/20 01:52 PM
12/04/20 01:52 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
No. I could not possibly eat everything I could kill. Some of it I wouldn't want to eat.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7073395
12/04/20 03:28 PM
12/04/20 03:28 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Really great replies so far. I realize the luck that ensured i was born here as opposed to in the city somewhere, to have had the mentors and opportunities I have had.

I am 34, and thinking about having a kid or two now, so things will likely slow a bit because of that but the goal is to do this forever.

Things don't slow down with kids they pick up. Enjoy all the same things with them at your side

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Turtledale] #7073487
12/04/20 04:24 PM
12/04/20 04:24 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Turtledale

Things don't slow down with kids they pick up. Enjoy all the same things with them at your side

This is the truth. I haven't shot a deer all year and only a few in the last several. I'm to busy taking my boys. They are 8 and 10. The 8 year old shot 4 the 10 1 this year. The 10 has been letting several walk for the first time.

Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Yote52] #7073957
12/04/20 09:39 PM
12/04/20 09:39 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Yote52
Me and my kids do our fair share of chasing as much as we can. Turkeys, fishing, and bowfishing in the spring and summer. Then ducks and deer in the fall to early winter. First of the year we start trapping and chasing rabbits. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Awesome

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7074084
12/04/20 10:24 PM
12/04/20 10:24 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Used to until a few years back. Especially on my rez.
When I was young big game was OTC and we could hunt small game and waterfowl in the city

Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7074104
12/04/20 10:33 PM
12/04/20 10:33 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
I chased whatever was in season year round until a couple years ago when my body started falling apart. I still get out a lot but I am a lot slower. I was checking ice today for ice fishing and looking for a coyote. I don't get locked in on one thing whatever sounds good when I wake up.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7074120
12/04/20 10:39 PM
12/04/20 10:39 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Each year that goes by and the kids are getting older we are doing a lot more fishing than anything else. I really wanted to spend a lot of time trapping this year, but the kids only want to ice fish. None of them are wanting to go trapping.
I guess the heater in the ice shack is nice!

So now we are planning trips to lakes we’ve never fished before. So that will be fun!

Cold as ice!
Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7074136
12/04/20 10:45 PM
12/04/20 10:45 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I bow/rifle hunt deer. Shoot dove/ducks/geese. Live, work, and trap for turkeys, lol. Trap for anything that will put it’s little hands/paws in a DP or foot hold. And when’s nothing is in season or it’s too hot to trap I’m still outdoors walking and learning the land or looking for points.
I fish for bass/bream/catfish or whatever the pond/lake has to offer. I fish saltwater for trout and reds...care less about offshore fishing.
As long as I get to see the sunrise it really doesn’t matter to me what I’m doing outdoors.

Re: Anyone hunt or fish for everything available? [Re: Hutchy] #7075151
12/05/20 05:36 PM
12/05/20 05:36 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK

I would disagree a little bit with a couple other guys here... I'm 32 with a 2 and 4 year old. It's my experience that things slow down before they pick back up. When the wife is 9 months pregnant and for a week or 2 postpartum, she really likes having you around more than usual, so I cut back for a few weeks then. When the first kid was an infant, it didn't matter too much whether I was around. But there's a period between say 6 months and 3 or 4 years when the kids miss you ( and you miss them!) if you're gone but they aren't big enough to bring all the time. Yes you CAN take them out, and I do, but it's simple logistics that you can't accomplish as much with a toddler along. It's hard to keep a 2 year old quiet in a tree stand, or warm on a snowmachine at 20 below while getting on and off to set traps. Field dressing big game in the bear woods requires enough vigilance without a toddler present. Maybe my problem is that I do pretty much everything by myself. I have packed both of my kids many miles, but of course it means less other gear I can carry.
During that baby-toddler period we still get outside a lot but we do easier, closer to home activities like grouse hunting and fishing, summer camping, prospecting, and projects around home. They love fur and "helping" with skinning, bait, trap prep, building boxes and boards, etc.

IMO, when kids get around 4 or 5 is when it really gets fun, they are big enough to take along, take part and hold up most of a day. Your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread