Received this today. smile

Protecting the Second Amendment

At the end of November, Nebraska closed another successful deer hunting season. While hunting is a great benefit of our constitutional right to bear arms, it is not the primary reason our founders chose to specifically enumerate this protection in our Bill of Rights. Nationwide our Second Amendment rights continue to be under threat. In fact, ongoing attempts by the House majority to weaken our Second Amendment rights, not to mention possible future presidential actions, have destabilized the arms and ammunition markets causing widespread shortages and shocking prices for common hunting and self-defense firearms and ammunition.

In order to protect our Second Amendment rights, we must always be vigilant to ensure the government is upholding these rights. For this reason, I have cosponsored several bills and signed letters which seek to cement these rights, and to gain ground which has been unconstitutionally lost in the past.

Although the Second Amendment is quite clear, “a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed,” states continue to find ways to muddy the waters and pass laws effectively diminishing this right. One way anti-gun activists have been successful in undermining the Second Amendment is through restrictions on interstate travel and sales with firearms, even though they are not necessary due to the robustness of the FBI’s current federal background check database.

Removing interstate sales restrictions does not hinder states’ abilities to regulate gun purchasing. To address this, I have cosponsored the Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act (H.R. 2443) which would reduce the burden on law-abiding citizens, including active duty military and their accompanying spouses, to allow them to buy firearms across state lines, as long as they meet applicable requirements at the point of purchase and in their home state of record. I have also cosponsored the Lawful Interstate Transportation of Firearms Act (H.R. 5935) which would expand upon existing law and protect law-abiding travelers who are carrying a legal firearm. H.R. 5935 includes specific language protecting ammunition and magazines as well because targeting these items has become another tool used by anti-gun activists.

I am also concerned by some recent actions by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), including their refusal to accept e-signatures filed by third party processors despite no evidence of security risks or potential for exploitation. I cosigned a letter to Attorney General Barr expressing concerns regarding these ATF limitations and will continue working to ensure consumers can easily and securely comply with the National Firearms Act (NFA) eForms submission process.

Another recent tactic used by anti-gun activists has been targeting and pressuring businesses to cease their relationships with firearms manufacturers and dealers. Because of my concerns of this bias that could permanently shutter these businesses, especially during the rollout of CARES Act programs earlier this year, I signed a letter to the Treasury Department, Small Business Administration, and Federal Reserve asking them to ensure participating banks did not discriminate on this basis.

Complacency regarding our rights is just as dangerous as efforts to undermine them. We cannot allow something as crucial as the Second Amendment to be eroded; we must actively support it. I will always be a staunch defender of the Second Amendment, ensuring Nebraskans have the ability to defend themselves, as well as enjoy rifle season every November.

Sincerely,

Adrian Smith

Member of Congress

Charlie

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

NRA Life Member ~ GOA Member ~ NFOA Member ~ UNMLA Member