No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7074853
12/05/20 12:43 PM
12/05/20 12:43 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Wolfdog: Centrarchids in general but the sunfishs especially are poorly taken with gillnets. Agencies who want representative samples of the various species of warmwater fishes will usually employ impounding gear such as hoop or fyke nets. I am aware of one major screwup where an ill informed biologist rotenoned a small lake that held trophy bluegill after he sampled only with gill nets. Actually lost that job over the ensuing mess although he was transferred into a central hub where screwups were given a desk and chair but not allowed to have paper, pencil or phone (exaggeration but not by much). The mesh pictured appears much to large for most of the fish in your smaller ponds. Finally, very short sections of gill net frequently do not fish well. Many fishes either lead on a net or rise over it if given an opportunity to do so. Much of the information known about gill nets and how they fish is from research on the Great Lakes which have generally very clear water and even mono nets are fairly visible. Far less is known about the gear and how it works in turbid or darkly stained waters but from the accounts that I am familiar with, gill nets likely fish somewhat better in waters where they are less visible.

Last edited by cohunt; 12/05/20 12:44 PM.
Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7074871
12/05/20 01:10 PM
12/05/20 01:10 PM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
If your trying to gillnet panfish your better off going with a size that would catch just in front of the dorsal fins and the belly, they were probably bouncing right off that 2in unless super small fish. Tighten your hangings up alot, that is a mess in the works as far as having the leads fall through or corks falling back into the large hangings. You don't want to over stretch your hangings. Hanging on the half is pretty common . Say 3 in mesh swinging 4 meshes = 12 divided by 2 = 6 in ties swinging 4 mesh each tie.

Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: cohunt] #7076003
12/06/20 12:31 AM
12/06/20 12:31 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by cohunt
Wolfdog: Centrarchids in general but the sunfishs especially are poorly taken with gillnets. Agencies who want representative samples of the various species of warmwater fishes will usually employ impounding gear such as hoop or fyke nets. I am aware of one major screwup where an ill informed biologist rotenoned a small lake that held trophy bluegill after he sampled only with gill nets. Actually lost that job over the ensuing mess although he was transferred into a central hub where screwups were given a desk and chair but not allowed to have paper, pencil or phone (exaggeration but not by much). The mesh pictured appears much to large for most of the fish in your smaller ponds. Finally, very short sections of gill net frequently do not fish well. Many fishes either lead on a net or rise over it if given an opportunity to do so. Much of the information known about gill nets and how they fish is from research on the Great Lakes which have generally very clear water and even mono nets are fairly visible. Far less is known about the gear and how it works in turbid or darkly stained waters but from the accounts that I am familiar with, gill nets likely fish somewhat better in waters where they are less visible.

Yeah I'm learning its a whole differnt ball game lol. Fish don't hit the nets as hard and mesh size is so much more important. Figured this one would have work ok for bullhead after I watched sunfish kinda swim up to it and back off but having been able o set it out in a while

Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: PineDoggin] #7076020
12/06/20 01:14 AM
12/06/20 01:14 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by PineDoggin
If your trying to gillnet panfish your better off going with a size that would catch just in front of the dorsal fins and the belly, they were probably bouncing right off that 2in unless super small fish. Tighten your hangings up alot, that is a mess in the works as far as having the leads fall through or corks falling back into the large hangings. You don't want to over stretch your hangings. Hanging on the half is pretty common . Say 3 in mesh swinging 4 meshes = 12 divided by 2 = 6 in ties swinging 4 mesh each tie.

Ok so when you say
3 in mesh swinging 4 meshes

Sorry if it sou d's stupid just really trying to get this terminology down lol.

Now back on the float and lead line. How do you know what you want ?
So what I'm reading is your main sizes of float rope are #12-#32 with buoyancy per yard being .9oz-10.5 oz.
And your lead rope is sized #20-#85 the sizes being the weight of 600 feet of lead line..

So I take it (and this is just me figuring) you would calculate how long your net would be then calculate your total buoyancy in yards (like a 20yd net with a #16 float rope at a boyancey of 1.7oz per yard. 20'÷3= 6.6 yards ×1.7 oz =11.22 oz of buoyancy for a 20yd net.
Then you would calculate the weight if your lead line so say #30 is 30lbs for 600 feet which is 200 yd and your net is 20yd. 20 yd is 10% of 200yd and there's 30lbs of lead per 200yd so you need to know what 10% of 30lbs is so if my math is right you should have 3lbs of lead line..

So if I wanted a sinking net I would use these calculations to find what's gonna have more weight then buoyancy and if I wanted a floating net I would do the same but just to figure what I need to pick the lead off the bottom .
Am I kinda in the ball park here or am I waaaaaay over thinking this ?
Seems if your in still water the lead line dosent later as much as in current

Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7086409
12/12/20 06:42 PM
12/12/20 06:42 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7086447
12/12/20 07:15 PM
12/12/20 07:15 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Some may use a floating gillnet with more float than lead BUT in my many years working with commercial fisheries in the Great Lakes and with research nets, every floating gillnet I ever saw was suspended at the desired depth from large added floats that were on the surface. Trying to exactly balance floatation against lead lines seems tricky at best. Nets would need to have substantial over floatation at the start to remain floating when loaded with fish.

Last edited by cohunt; 12/12/20 07:30 PM.
Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7086520
12/12/20 08:00 PM
12/12/20 08:00 PM
Bossier city, Louisiana 71112
B
beaverfoot Offline
trapper
beaverfoot  Offline
trapper
B

Bossier city, Louisiana 71112
The first thing you need to decide if you want the net to float on top of the water or sink to the bottom. If wot want it to sink 30 lead rope with a3/8 or 1/2 float rope. If you want it to float go with a large float rope and a smaller lead rope.

Re: Another question in Gill Nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7086522
12/12/20 08:01 PM
12/12/20 08:01 PM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Wolf how long of net are you trying to make?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread