No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
aluminum boat rivet replacment #7086260
12/12/20 05:07 PM
12/12/20 05:07 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
bought the new to me boat from my supervisor , got a good deal on it , it has a soft floor

then I realized the rear bench , the live well , the drivers bench and the steering console are all solid riveted into the boat over the top of the floor. having never done solid rivets I went looking

once you see how they work and how easy the air chisel sets them against a bucking bar it is not a difficult procedure. but one I am sure not that many people know about or they wouldn't sell so many products to seal them from the outside.

also not expensive at 8-12 cents each depending on size and the quantity you buy them in

figured I would share this one of you is likely to also need to know this

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: aluminum boat rivet replacment [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7086291
12/12/20 05:36 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Here I thought everyone just replaced them with bolts and nuts loctited in.

Re: aluminum boat rivet replacment [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7086292
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
GCP....I bet I hammered 5000 of them this past year. LOL I started out on one of my own small boats and word got out real fast I could do it for others. Slow right now, but have several waiting till after the Holidays for me to do them.

It does take two people for a lot of them, but simple as simple can be. I also learned real fast to wear hearing protection or your ears will ring for days.

Re: aluminum boat rivet replacment [Re: il.trapper] #7086565
12/12/20 08:35 PM
12/12/20 08:35 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by il.trapper
GCP....I bet I hammered 5000 of them this past year. LOL I started out on one of my own small boats and word got out real fast I could do it for others. Slow right now, but have several waiting till after the Holidays for me to do them.

It does take two people for a lot of them, but simple as simple can be. I also learned real fast to wear hearing protection or your ears will ring for days.

are you using the air chisel with rivet bit at about 40psi or are you using a specific air riveter gun.

looks like most people are using the air chisel at about 40psi I watched one video where the guy said the chisel hammered too fast , I think that is why they reduce pressure to slow it down and he was justifying a 400 dollar kit.

it looks like they get big money for a bucking bar when it seems a 2 pound maul head would work just find

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: aluminum boat rivet replacment [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7086603
12/12/20 09:08 PM
12/12/20 09:08 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
A two pound head works fine. Two people can zip right along, make sure you order the right type of rivet head .
Depending on the make of boat be aware that some riveted seams also had a very thin gasket in between surfaces to help seal things.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: aluminum boat rivet replacment [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7086897
12/13/20 02:00 AM
12/13/20 02:00 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I use a small cheap air chisel. I made the bit from a regular chisel cut off. I am running low pressure but I think it is higher than 40psi.

2lbs is about right for the anvil. Heavier won't hurt any but not needed.

No need for a 400.00 outfit. I bought a HF freight I think cost me 20 something bucks.

I get my rivets through a local supplier.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread