No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Commerial Coyote Urine Collection #7086115
12/12/20 03:20 PM
12/12/20 03:20 PM
Near Alexandria, MN
B
BanditBuster Offline OP
trapper
BanditBuster  Offline OP
trapper
B

Near Alexandria, MN
I was ordering coyote urine today and it made me curious how it is collected commercially? I'd assume long rows of pens with collection pans underneath into some kind of pipeline system. Just wondering if any of you have seen it done or have pictures? Google didn't come up with much.

Luke Jackson

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7086529
12/12/20 08:07 PM
12/12/20 08:07 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
Most of the urine sold today as coyote urine likely has little to no coyote urine in it. Find the person who has thousands of coyotes caged to produce urine at one gallon a month each, only to sell the urine for $25 a gallon. In my opinion, that doesn't happen. However, the collection of urine is simple enough- a slanted waterproof material under a cage that runs into a container or trough.

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: Dean Chapel] #7087372
12/13/20 01:12 PM
12/13/20 01:12 PM
Near Alexandria, MN
B
BanditBuster Offline OP
trapper
BanditBuster  Offline OP
trapper
B

Near Alexandria, MN
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Most of the urine sold today as coyote urine likely has little to no coyote urine in it. Find the person who has thousands of coyotes caged to produce urine at one gallon a month each, only to sell the urine for $25 a gallon. In my opinion, that doesn't happen. However, the collection of urine is simple enough- a slanted waterproof material under a cage that runs into a container or trough.

If that's the case, what does it consist of? Synthetic ingredients and a preservative?

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7087381
12/13/20 01:20 PM
12/13/20 01:20 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
water, ammonia, food coloring and maybe a drop of skunk essence. Think about it. Do you really think someone has enough caged coyotes to supply the tens of thousands of gallons of coyote pee sold yearly? Who ranch raises coyotes? At least some of the fox pee really is fox pee. People do mass raise fox. If you find someone that sells real coyote pee, pay them what they ask and keep their number on speed dial... and don't tell anyone else or they'll be sold out in no time.

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7087413
12/13/20 01:46 PM
12/13/20 01:46 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I know of a guy that Is legit when It comes to coyote urine collection.
You have to remember coyotes pee 365 days a year and we only buy urine during a very short time period. So these urine vendors are saving pee for 365 days a year. And for sure there has to be some carry over from season to season. And there are ways to induce more pee from a individual coyote.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7087414
12/13/20 01:47 PM
12/13/20 01:47 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I dont know why trappers dont learn to collect their own bladder urine from all the animals they trap.It only takes a couple minutes.Same with scats.
Animals caught in lethal sets are usually full of bladder urine.That said most lethal sets for canines dont require urine to produce.
Personally i use very little urine sets,but from reading on the trapping forums it seems a lot of trappers use it by the gallon,lol.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7087444
12/13/20 02:06 PM
12/13/20 02:06 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I'm not a big user of urine maybe a gallon and that will last me for about 2 seasons.

I was at a NTA convention one year and a urine dealer who must have had 40 gallons + pints and quarts displayed at his booth. He sold out the first day. The next day he was full up again Found out later the guy owned a pretty large dairy herd. Just saying.
Cow pee horse pee will that urine attract coyotes?

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7087455
12/13/20 02:14 PM
12/13/20 02:14 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by BanditBuster
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel

If that's the case, what does it consist of? Synthetic ingredients and a preservative?

A large lure ingredient supplier use to advertise artificial urines on their website . A year or two ago it got pulled off the website. Im guessing because the guys buying it didn't want the general public knowing it was being sold. These people weren't making it and selling it hoping it would sell. They have relationships with their customers and know what they want. They also wasn't making it to sell a hundred gallons or two. When started out I bought urine from a very popular trapping supply company and still have some of it. Recently I started collecting my own and can promise what I had bought is not the same thing as the stuff I collect.

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090320
12/15/20 02:20 AM
12/15/20 02:20 AM
Idaho (north central)
K
Katcatcher Offline
trapper
Katcatcher  Offline
trapper
K

Idaho (north central)
I am not going to get into coyote urine debate but I had a fur trapper and hound hunter that I knew well. He lived down on the Salmon River about 2 hours drive for me who for years kept red and silver foxes and bobcats even when the fur prices were down and he collected their urine. I saw the animals in the cages and the troughs and strainers they initially went through. He used it, sold some to trappers in this area, like me, and to a trapper company in southern Idaho. His biggest concern was always getting enough meat for them to use so the urine smelled to him like it was supposed to. He said if he had to substitute grain or vegetables the urine wasn't right so he wouldn't collect it from the ones that weren't on only meat. I used it and it worked but so does what I am using now from a commercial trapping supplier in Utah.

He had one tom bobcat that he said he could never collect any urine from because no matter where he put the deflectors the cat would shoot around them. I don't know but I would guess that bobcat ended up on a stretcher that winter.

BETTER WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT BY GAME MANAGERS
LISTENING TO "REAL" KNOWLEDGEABLE HUNTERS AND TRAPPERS
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090345
12/15/20 05:02 AM
12/15/20 05:02 AM
East Central Wi.
coyote addict Offline
trapper
coyote addict  Offline
trapper

East Central Wi.
I use to raise ranch fox. had 220 fox mixed colors , mostly silvers .i also collected urine . The fox were meat fed .I had fiberglass panels slanted under their cages ,offset from their water cups so water would not be splashed onto panel . there was a 4 inch pvc pipe cut in half for a trough with a screen at one end where the collection pail was to keep any feces out if they rolled down. These were set up on the female cages because they squat and dont lift there leg like a male. Panels and troughs were hosed clean every day, no urine was collected on rainy days .A lot of work that people don't realize.

Member -W.T.A. N.T.A. - N.R. A.
A Shotgun. A Rifle and a 4 Wheel Drive.. A Country Boy. Will Survive
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090419
12/15/20 08:20 AM
12/15/20 08:20 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
A lot of work that people don't realize.

I have collected for my own use.

Coyote pee is hard to find. The artificial stuff sold by most of the big dealers is not. It is also worthless. At best.

Bobcat pee you can get from their bladders. There was a SMALL operation selling it. They are out of the business. Buying the real thing is almost impossible.

The artificial stuff is why people don't use urine. They never had any genuine. The first time I collected coyote pee I thought I was doing something wrong. It didn't smell like anything I had ever bought. No matter how clean I kept things there would be sediment in it. Finally dawned on me after awhile that the stuff I had been buying, from the big dealers, was junk. I was collecting from a single animal and my catch took a BIG jump. I thought it was because I was using a single animal. I was wrong about that too. I just had never had good coyote pee.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090440
12/15/20 08:47 AM
12/15/20 08:47 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

There is an awful lot of myth on this thread. There are legit collectors and there are those who aren't legit. That's called life. Why do we say all are crooked because Jim Bob is?
I collected coyote urine on a large scale for about 7 years, and it's just like dairy farming, day after day after day work. That's why I stopped. Didn't have the time any more. But ours didn't have one drop of synthetic.

Next time you get a gallon of milk, all of you who call all urine collecting smoke and mirrors, please tell us how all that milk got in all those millions of jugs in all those grocery stores. It's fake I tell ya! I know all! It's just white food coloring, water, and a hand full of calcium I tell ya. Milk is fake!

Some people on TMan have absolutely no clue what they are talking about yet claim to be experts.
Go shoot the fakers among us, you claim to know so well, and leave the dudes and dudettes getting up at 5 to scrub pans under cages outta it please. They work harder than you do and we appreciate them still collecting for about a buck two ninety eight.

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: ] #7090468
12/15/20 09:12 AM
12/15/20 09:12 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Mark June
There is an awful lot of myth on this thread. There are legit collectors and there are those who aren't legit. That's called life. Why do we say all are crooked because Jim Bob is?
I collected coyote urine on a large scale for about 7 years, and it's just like dairy farming, day after day after day work. That's why I stopped. Didn't have the time any more. But ours didn't have one drop of synthetic.

Next time you get a gallon of milk, all of you who call all urine collecting smoke and mirrors, please tell us how all that milk got in all those millions of jugs in all those grocery stores. It's fake I tell ya! I know all! It's just white food coloring, water, and a hand full of calcium I tell ya. Milk is fake!

Some people on TMan have absolutely no clue what they are talking about yet claim to be experts.
Go shoot the fakers among us, you claim to know so well, and leave the dudes and dudettes getting up at 5 to scrub pans under cages outta it please. They work harder than you do and we appreciate them still collecting for about a buck two ninety eight.

I'm assuming I'm one your referring to Mr June. Other than my speculation of how much artificial was being sold i will stand behind my comment and if we ever cross paths at a trappers convention I will bring some of what I bought and some of what I collected and we can confer in person on the differences of them.

I bought out a guy that was making lures on a small bases a year ago and I believe I even have some of the artificial stuff to backup what I said. I can dig it out and post pic if you want me to.

Last edited by Yes sir; 12/15/20 09:16 AM.
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090485
12/15/20 09:23 AM
Henderson NC
C
crankbait Offline
trapper
crankbait  Offline
trapper
C

Henderson NC
Well said Mark!!! I collect my own during the season and sell to a few local trappers. its hard work, constantly collecting deer scraps and trapping beaver, picking up fresh road kill just to keep them fed. dog food definitely doesnt keep the same smell in urine. I currently have 10 coyotes and 15 reds producing urine, I get about 1.5 gallons per week per species.

Tommy
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090486

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I actually wasn't referring to you unless your name starts more with a D.

There is plenty of crappy urine out there. OK. Why call all crappy is my point. Look, I've been at this since every before 1984. I've bought skunk essence 100 times over that span from scammers. I still know good essence exists. I've had 1,000 trappers, no kidding, maybe 5,000, in almost 40 years in this business from the business end, hand me bad crap. Ok. That source is not good.

My point. I know VERY hard working reputable collectors busting hump to collect. Please do not confuse them with the dude scamming. You don't have to show me bad urine. I know a lot of it may be crap. Heck, I don't know every bottle from every source. But good collectors exist. They work hard and the rest, well they sell crap I guess.

I never sold crap in 36 years retail and we sold great urine.
Just please don't paint all the fence with the same white wash is all I'm saying.
All trappers aren't the same.
All urine comes outta the coyotes the same.
All collectors are people, so they will do what people do.
Some are honest.
Some are cheats.
Shocker.
You don't have to show me a bottle to sniff.
I already been sniffing.

Blessings Yes Sir!
And Merry Christmas brother.
Mark

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090491
12/15/20 09:30 AM
12/15/20 09:30 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Mark I never bought from you and never said all. FWIW I don't consider you a big dealer. You already know, I am sure, where to buy the artificial stuff. I AM NOT saying you do but you are aware of it. When it comes to urine there is lots more junk out there than quality urine.

Not only artificial being marketed as natural (when the distributer clearly markets it as artificial) but real urine being cut with water.

It is going on and you Mark, are aware of it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090494
12/15/20 09:33 AM
12/15/20 09:33 AM
West Virginia
J
John Houben Offline
trapper
John Houben  Offline
trapper
J

West Virginia
Mark is right. There might be some trash out there but there is also genuine, quality pee to be had. It is a lot of work collecting. What always amazes me is how much feed the little buggers can go through. Putting up food and storing it might be the hardest part of the job.

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090499
12/15/20 09:36 AM
12/15/20 09:36 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

You speak truth danny. I supplied urine to a good deal of the bigger vendors for a few years so I'm pretty familiar with the needs. It's grinding day after day work and I had two guys working for us to do most of it in full disclosure. I am well aware of synthetic as for 22 years I was the staff Biologist for Hunter's Specialties, and developed some of their deer products, but none of the synthetics. I worked alongside (not literally) the guys who did the synthetics though.

It's like about everything else these days it seems. A remnant of great among those who cut corners.
We wish it wasn't so.

But B__ W___ isn't the only good collector in the whole world like his worshippers say. Neither is L__ W___ or A__ W___ or a host of others. I know them all. I've met them all. Had beers with them all. I have not looked at how all collect urine.

Someone cracks a lid. It's good = use it.
Someone cracks a lid. It's crap = return it.

Americanism.
Gotta love it.
Have a great one danny!

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090507
12/15/20 09:43 AM
12/15/20 09:43 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
About 20 years ago BW, right here on TMan private messaging gave me some detailed instruction on collecting. How to design my pen, what to feed, how to water. It was good advice. Like I said, at first I thought I was doing it wrong it smelled so different.

I have bought pee since then also. Just never from the places I had before. I am NOT going to name names in public, on the forum or in PM's. I am not interested in having the headaches that will follow. Anybody interested can catch me at a convention and I will speak up face to face. Some of the most reputable names are not though.

Re: Commerial Coyote Urine Collection [Re: BanditBuster] #7090517
12/15/20 09:51 AM
12/15/20 09:51 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I guess Mark, I should have took time to sniff what your selling. I have not. Cletus knows what good coyote urine is. (appleroad bait). I have checked his out and would not hesitate to buy a jug or three.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread