Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Long Spring Swap Out #7086939
12/13/20 06:12 AM
12/13/20 06:12 AM
Maine
A
allagashtrapper Offline OP
trapper
allagashtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
A

Maine
I need to change the springs on several long spring collector traps. What is the best way to compress the spring in order to remove the nut at the bottom of the frame? Thank you!

Re: Long Spring Swap Out [Re: allagashtrapper] #7087061
12/13/20 09:21 AM
12/13/20 09:21 AM
South Dakota
T
Trapper Pete Offline
trapper
Trapper Pete  Offline
trapper
T

South Dakota
I use the ratchet type slide bar wood-work clamps. I bought a pair of the plastic ones that will not scar the metal.

Re: Long Spring Swap Out [Re: allagashtrapper] #7089218
12/14/20 02:22 PM
12/14/20 02:22 PM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
Vise works okay, Just wrap spring in a thick rag, Only compress enough to relieve pressure on nut, And try to squeeze up near the spring eyes not the bend...
Bear size traps I use a newer style spring clamp...

Vise works great on stubborn jawpost nuts too. Put nut in top of vice and you can use a wrench on the jawpost, and the trap for leverage. Work back and forth till loose then compress spring and remove nut... All at your own risk .....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector