Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Blocking otter #7090909
12/15/20 02:27 PM
12/15/20 02:27 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline OP
trapper
Co�s  Offline OP
trapper
C

MI
Planning to block out a couple of tanned otter for a hat project. My plan is to approach the same as with beaver after splitting the hide - spray with warm water, let sit, and stretch/tack on plywood until any sags or wrinkles are gone. Looking for any tips on the best way to split the hide. I’m thinking of cutting along one side of the belly, in line with the leg holes as it seems like this will give me the most usable fur of similar color.

Anyone else work with tanned otter?

Re: Blocking otter [Re: Co�s] #7091797
12/16/20 12:01 AM
12/16/20 12:01 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
[Linked Image]
I think you will get the most out of it when blocked this way.The leg holes are split out on this one.
Another option would be to repair the legholes like you would a hole in the pelt.Then split and block out.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Blocking otter [Re: Boco] #7091890
12/16/20 02:04 AM
12/16/20 02:04 AM
MI
C
Co�s Offline OP
trapper
Co�s  Offline OP
trapper
C

MI
Originally Posted by Boco
[Linked Image]
I think you will get the most out of it when blocked this way.The leg holes are split out on this one.
Another option would be to repair the legholes like you would a hole in the pelt.Then split and block out.

Thanks Boco, I appreciate the visual. I just repaired a tear on the skirt of one from my novice fleshing job, I’ll block them up like that tomorrow night.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread