Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
COLLECTING traps #7092762
12/16/20 07:34 PM
12/16/20 07:34 PM
AR
B
bigfoottrapper Offline OP
trapper
bigfoottrapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

AR
I have started my trapping journey and my family and I are having a great time! I thought it would be fun to collect old, discontinued, unusual or foreign made traps. I would want them to functional and priced comparable to new ones. I should be getting a little bit of cash in a month or so. if you have any suggestions please let me know or if you have any that you might want to sell PM me.

thanks!

Last edited by bigfoottrapper; 12/16/20 07:35 PM.
Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7092806
12/16/20 08:05 PM
12/16/20 08:05 PM
Iowa.
I
imissed Offline
trapper
imissed  Offline
trapper
I

Iowa.
Originally Posted by bigfoottrapper
I have started my trapping journey and my family and I are having a great time! I thought it would be fun to collect old, discontinued, unusual or foreign made traps. I would want them to functional and priced comparable to new ones. I should be getting a little bit of cash in a month or so. if you have any suggestions please let me know or if you have any that you might want to sell PM me.

thanks!

Priced comparable to new ones won't happen.

Collectable trap are just that. Collectable. And some are pricey!

You better have deep pockets!

Some traps cost hundreds if not more!

Last edited by imissed; 12/16/20 08:07 PM.

WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO TRAP!
Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7092809
12/16/20 08:07 PM
12/16/20 08:07 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
The Trap Collecting Forum, at the right side and towards the top of this page would be a wise choice to post this as well.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7092943
12/16/20 09:29 PM
12/16/20 09:29 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Welcome to the world of trap collecting. It is a fascinating hobby that will be a continuing education for as long as you pursue it. The objectives you have set are going to be difficult to attain as has already been mentioned but I would suggest one way that you can obtain some old traps that are unusual, still functional and not expensive and that is to carefully select specimens that are complete and original with good spring strength but have weathered to the degree that the information on the pan can no longer be read. I have seen at conventions where larger collector trap dealers had a tub or two or such traps that could be dug through and individual traps purchased for 5 or 10 dollars. Experienced collectors can still identify the trap or at least narrow the options to a few and you can learn to do so yourself from characteristics specific to only one or a few traps. I would encourage you to start with traps that you find interesting in design and construction. A small twist in collecting that I know several find personally satisfying is to use their collector traps to catch targeted animals and then retire the trap to a place of honor along with the pelt of the animal last taken.

Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7093977
12/17/20 04:37 PM
12/17/20 04:37 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
I am rather new at trap collecting. I just pick up things here and there. Most of my traps are on the lower side of collector value and all have been acquired for little or no money. I like ot find the traps that appeal to me or history and less about the value. That is mostly because i am super cheap and paying a thousand for a Newhouse is not in the cards for me. Some recent finds i have are a #0 easy set (i believe haven't cleaned pan to read yet), 550 helfrich, #2 Gibbs coil, and Victor 3N with full factory chain and swivel. These all came as trades for trapping gear like pan covers and bait that i make myself and sell at my shop. It is addicting and I am sure the collection will expand slowly into a budget i am not comfortable with now. My suggestion is start with what appeals to you and learn how to research the traps and get the information. this will help you learn more and start finding things you know more about and then it cascades. I still know little but it is fun.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7094503
12/17/20 09:51 PM
12/17/20 09:51 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
That is where most of us got started. I have a few Newhouse traps and just about all the Northwoods traps that were made. When the bug bites its hard to stop. Enjoy!!

Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7094767
12/18/20 12:24 AM
12/18/20 12:24 AM
California
G
goldminer Offline
trapper
goldminer  Offline
trapper
G

California
After a long hiatus from the trapline and growing nostalgic about the great times I had on the trapline in Wisconsin, I decided to start collecting Newhouse traps this past year. I was fortunate to have someone I used to trap Beaver with, a member of this group, steer me to collecting Newhouse traps. I haven't regretted it at all. My friend sold me a basic collection of good collectible traps from #0 through #4. Six in all and have added quite a few to the basic collection in a relatively short time. I also belong to various trapping and trap collecting groups on Face Book, where i have met many like minded individuals who have much more knowledge than myself. They are all willing to help with all the questions I have. Welcome to the world of trap collecting!

Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7095385
12/18/20 11:54 AM
12/18/20 11:54 AM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
I also recently started collecting traps. I collect what I find interesting, usually unique or odd designs. I have learned things can get out of control quickly! What has my interest lately are Rat Traps, flat wood ones with graphics on the wood. But I collect anything to do with Hunting, Fishing, Trapping or the Outdoors, it kinda fills the void as I become more limited with health and age.

Let's go Brandon!
Re: COLLECTING traps [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7098499
12/20/20 07:44 PM
12/20/20 07:44 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I buy and sell quite a few antiques and often find traps at estate sales and places like that. Sometimes I buy a whole tote full if the price is right. Just about every time I go through a tote I find some kind of odd trap or two which I keep and sell off the rest at gunshows, etc. I now have quite a few, mostly 0's and 1's which are really cool to me and I have very little cash or space involved. I do it just for the fun and interest.

Moosetrot

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector