No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Maine under-ice muskrat trapping #7094347
12/17/20 08:47 PM
12/17/20 08:47 PM
Maine
N
Nolan Raymond Offline OP
trapper
Nolan Raymond  Offline OP
trapper
N

Maine
I live in central Maine, and we now officially have 2 inches of ice and about 5 inches of snow on my muskrat flowage. This is my first season trapping, and I came to find all of my traps frozen in and function-less... I was not trapping bank dens, because I couldn't find any, but some slides from the shore in. My particular hot trap was under a root cluster formed with thick roots where they were sliding into the water. What's the best approach for trapping them through the ice?

Re: Maine under-ice muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7094753
12/18/20 12:15 AM
12/18/20 12:15 AM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Greatly depends on the type of water being trapped. Shallow or deep, lots of emergent veg or open. Snow on ice is already a big negative for many types of sets. Experienced knowledge of potential travel routes might allow you some success setting baited trigger BG's under the ice. M'rats travel very specific routes from place to place for the most part as air that escapes their pelts forms a bubble trail under the ice that they can breathe if needed. Best found thru clear ice but with experience trappers can locate some possible paths with snow. Shovel or sweep a few square foot area where you go thru the ice as any added light aids M'rats visibility locating bait IMO. Just cover hole with cardboard or I like cloropast(rarely sticks to ice much, reusable) best and cover with snow(hole shouldn't refreeze for a day or two if above 0). Blind setting BG's just under the ice in narrow travel gaps thru heavy veg can also work(again chloroplast but no cleared ice). If or when we get clear walkable ice(not always every year) I take a couple of days just marking bubble trails, runs and pinch points so I can locate them if snow clouds ice. I use dozens of construction marker flag(different color for the different type of set I would make) using a cordless drill to put hole in ice to put flag wire into(vaseline on the bottom end of wire lets you pull them pretty easy or a wack a hatchet or chisel also recovers them.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Maine under-ice muskrat trapping [Re: Drakej] #7095276
12/18/20 10:52 AM
12/18/20 10:52 AM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada

I persornally insert a piece of carrot on my trigger, I have used a piece of decking boad 3 to 4 ft long and about 2 in wide and I insert the 110 or 120 so it sits vertically, Decking board is just the right thickness and your the trap will stay in place. You just have to adjust the trigger on the right notcht. I set my traps approximately 2 to 3 in below ice and cover the holes with a branches of spruce which I then cover up with snow in order to prevent freezing.

Even if you can't locate holes or runs if you set traps 2 to 3 ft from the bank the rats will find your baited traps,

I have also baited foot hold traps using carrot. I just attach a small piece of carrot (with a piece of small wire) to my pan (Victor works great for this) and I place it at bottom, a foot or two from the bank and I still get them.

Hope it helps.

Re: Maine under-ice muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7095420
12/18/20 12:17 PM
12/18/20 12:17 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
I like a 110 with a piece of tater on the trigger just above the bottom rivet just under the ice on a wood lath, check every 4-5 days.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Maine under-ice muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7095513
12/18/20 01:33 PM
12/18/20 01:33 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
Good thing you don't live in PA, 36 hour check law. If a muskrat is in the water for 4 or 5 days I would think they would really be water logged.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Maine under-ice muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7095608
12/18/20 03:38 PM
12/18/20 03:38 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
Well they are waterproof for a while, you chop ice everyday you get little but we have a 5 day under ice check here it works fine, your not catching them in the first or second days anyways.

Rig I was talking about this one is 2 laths wired top and bottom for easy adjusting notice the placement of the cotton ball just above the lower rivet.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Law Dog; 12/18/20 03:54 PM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Maine under-ice muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7095644
12/18/20 04:29 PM
12/18/20 04:29 PM
Maine
N
Nolan Raymond Offline OP
trapper
Nolan Raymond  Offline OP
trapper
N

Maine
Thanks for all of the advice!! I'll probably do some 110s on sticks of some sort then bait them and get em under the ice. The area is a pool right where the stream crosses under a road with a culvert. There is root vegetation, but of course it's all dead now. The vegetation is all up on shore, and the area is pretty much a big mud puddle. I've caught a grand total of two!!! Probably not the most productive spot but it's walking distance from my house and I can't drive yet. In ME, we have to check traps every 72 hours.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread