No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! #7076845
12/06/20 07:27 PM
12/06/20 07:27 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
I would like to announce the official start to my annual Trapperman Kids Art & Writing Contest!

THE PRIZES:

FIRST PLACE $100 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!
SECOND PLACE: $75 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!
THIRD PLACE: $50 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!

TO ENTER:

To be eligible to win, you must be LESS than 18 years of age and a Trapperman member or family member only. You must have your parent's permission to enter, as the winners will be asked to pm me their addresses in order for us to ship the prize packages to you. You must submit your entry no later than 9 PM EASTERN TIME ON CHRISTMAS EVE, DECEMBER 24TH. NO EXCEPTIONS PLEASE! To submit your entry, you must post a scan or good quality photo of your finished drawing or painting, as well as TYPE IN your writing or story RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME, AGE AND STATE YOU RESIDE WITH YOUR ENTRY. Ask for help from your folks, or other members here if you have difficulty posting. This is so all Trapperman members may see and read it. Previous winners may enter again! Let's see how you've improved over the years!

THE RULES:

This year's theme is: "A CHRISTMAS FOX!!!" - The Red Fox is my favorite furbearer, period. They may just be the most beautiful animal God ever created. I like Gray Fox, too. I'm sure they are favorites of many of us here on this forum. The idea of having a bunch of you kids writing a story and drawing a great picture of a fox sounded like a cool idea to me.

FIRST, write a story that describes, "A Christmas Fox!!!" and whatever that means to you. It could be a true story, or a fictional story you've created in your mind. I'd like this story to be a few paragraphs minimum, if possible. I know this may be difficult for the very young contestants and we will consider this when we judge the entries at the end. Include many details to make your story interesting, who, what, where, when, why, how!?

SECOND, You must draw or paint a picture that goes with this story and illustrates it in the best possible way. It may be FULL COLOR OR BLACK & WHITE. It may be done in PENCIL, INKS, WATERCOLORS, ACRYLICS, OILS, CHALKS, CRAYONS, MARKERS, THE KITCHEN SINK!!! Put as much effort as you can into it! I want to see what talented young folks we have here on Trapperman! Then have someone take a nice brightly lit photo or scan of it and post it here with your story!!

ONCE AGAIN, THE CONTEST ENDS AT 9 PM EASTERN TIME ON CHRISTMAS EVE !! NO EXCEPTIONS. YOU FOLKS ON CENTRAL, MOUNTAIN, AND PACIFIC TIME PLEASE MAKE NOTE!

WE WILL ANNOUNCE THEM HERE ON CHRISTMAS MORNING, SOME TIME AFTER MRS. CLAUS HAS HAD HER COFFEE…..

PM ME IF YOU OR YOUR FOLKS HAVE QUESTIONS.

WELL KIDS, I SUGGEST YOU GET BUSY!!!
AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE TRAPPERMAN FAMILY!!!

From The Goodman's
Joe, Julie, and Carly
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Here are some fox I drew to maybe inspire you..... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Long-time Staff Artist at Fur-Fish-Game magazine
Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7090994
12/15/20 03:46 PM
12/15/20 03:46 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Thanks, Mr. Goodman!

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7097117
12/19/20 08:15 PM
12/19/20 08:15 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
Lillianne Bonine, Age 8, North Dakota

The Best Christmas Ever.
Once upon a time, there was a family. There was Pa, Ma, and April. April loved the woods.
Pa said once he saw a fox. He said it was a beautiful red fox. But he said, “I heard from other trappers that they tried to trap the beautiful fox, but they did not trap it.” Pa said he would like to trap the fox.
April came in out of breath. Ma asked, “What is wrong?”
April said “I saw a fox.” Pa grabbed his gun and went out the door. He saw the beautiful red fox disappear in the woods.
Ma opened the door and said, “It is time to eat.” Pa went in to eat.
While Pa ate he said, “Tomorrow night is Christmas Eve.”
“April what would you like for Christmas?” Ma asked.
April said, “I would like red mittens from the fox, if you could trap it Pa.”
Pa said, “So you want red fox mittens?”
“Yes” April said.
“I will try April, that fox is smart.”
“I know you can do it Pa.” April said.
Pa said “I will go and check my trap line in the morning.”
Pa woke up in the morning. He went to the kitchen to get breakfast. Ma was in the kitchen. Ma said “April is upstairs getting ready.”
Pa said to Ma, “I am going to check my trap line.”
Ma said, “If you trap the red fox you can skin the fox and I can sew April mittens.” Just then April came down the stairs and into the kitchen.
“Good morning Ma and Pa.” April said.
Ma said, “ Good morning honey pie.”
Pa said “ I am going out to check my trap line.” Then he went out the door. The first trap was empty. The second was the same. This went on until the eighth and in the snare there was the red fox. Pa was so surprised he never had this beautiful of a fox in one of his snares, he put it on his sled and went for the skinning shed. When he was done skinning the fox, he went to the house. When he got to the house,
Ma said “April is upstairs.” Ma asked, “ Did you get the fox?”
Pa said “Yes I did.”
Ma said, “ I will sew April mittens.” “April time to eat.” Ma said. After supper Ma came upstairs to tuck April in. On Christmas morning Pa, Ma, and April went downstairs. April went to the Christmas tree and started unwrapping presents.
Then she saw the red fox mittens, “I love them” she said. “This is the best Christmas ever.”

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7097121
12/19/20 08:16 PM
12/19/20 08:16 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
[Linked Image]

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7097450
12/20/20 12:00 AM
12/20/20 12:00 AM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
My name is Jackson Lewis. I am 15 years old and I live in Kentucky. I have entered writing contests before but I am by no means an artist. Good luck to all other contestants!

Jackson Lewis
Writing and art contest A Fox for Joey

It was 0500 on December 23 Joey slipped out of bed and put on his overalls. Joey walked to the bathroom brushed his teeth and headed out the door. The air was cold he zipped his new Carhartt coat he got for his birthday. He climbed in the Polaris Ranger and it wouldn’t start. “Great he said I’m already late meeting Mr. Billings.” Mr. Billings was a man who had lost his wife and son a forty years ago when Joey moved in down the road, they became trapping partners at once. Joey decided to take the ’97 Ford F-150 instead. He met Mr. Billings at the stroke of six. “I was beginning to think you went into hibernation” said Mr. Billings. “yeah, the Ranger was dead” said Joey. “Well get over here Christmas comes early at my house” said Mr. Billings. Joey tore into the box and there was 6 #2 Bridgers! “Oh sir this is to much” Joey said. “Hey its fine” Mr. Billings assured him just catch that red fox that killed my chickens, ok?” “Yessir” exclaimed Joey as they shook hands.
The day went on and they each got sets out. Joey targeted that fox that killed the chickens with almost every trap he had. The two took a break for lunch and Joey asked “how did you lose your family” Mr. Billings stared in the distance and said with a tremble in his voice, “it was a house fire. The only time I left Fox Hollow in my almost 70 years of life my family died. It started from the coffee pot I left on its my fault they are dead. I have to stay strong though. You know you remind me a lot of my son.” Joey said “I am so sorry I had no idea” “it’s fine” Mr. Billings said don’t let me get you down.
After lunch they drove to the house and prepared the new traps Joey got that morning. They boiled them dyed and waxed them. They went inside to watch tv and the local news had a headline that read “Fish and Wildlife department offering $500 reward for red fox in Fox Hollow.” Joey jumped to his feet and said hysterically “Did you hear that?” “calm down child I’m old but I’m not deaf.” They went on to say it was rabid and had killed a baby goat on the Johnson farm. Joey said “I want to catch it momma and I could use that money. Things have been tight ever since the mining accident that killed daddy.” Mr. Billings said a prayer under his breath that Joey would get the fox.
The day came to an end and Joey went to bed excited for what he may have in the morning. He woke up went about his routine but this time he got in the Polaris Ranger. He had remembered to charge it. He pulled up to the Billings house at 5:45. “you are in the ranger today” Mr. Billings said. “Yessir” Joey remarked “are you ready to check the line?” “Yes I figured we could take your ranger” Billings said. “No problem” Joey told him. The first sets had nothing. The water traps held 2 beaver, a muskrat, and a mink. They had a coyote in a snare. And a coon in a Sleepy Creek 1.5 coil spring. “we are coming up on the last set” Joey said “I know child” Mr. billings said. The last set wasn’t empty but Joey wished it was though. “Dang it! It’s a possum” They got it out of the trap remade the set and went to the house.
That night at bed Joey prayed “God Christmas is tomorrow. I guess you already knew that since it is the day your son was born. I want nothing more than to catch that fox God momma and I could use the money. So if you see fit could you give me the fox in the morning?” Joey fell asleep and instead of visions of sugar plums dancing in his head he dreamed of a fox dancing in a Victor #2 double long spring.
The next morning was much like the one before only it was Christmas Joey handed Mr. Billings a new Case pocket knife he spent his lawn mowing money on. Teary eyed Mr. billings took the gift and slipped the knife in his pocket.
The first sets had a skunk and a grey fox it was a fox but not he red they were after. At the water sets there was only a muskrat. The next traps were coons, coons, and more coons. Discouraged Joey drove to the last set. He couldn’t believe his eyes. There in his trap was the red fox! He got out shaking so bad he had Mr. Billings dispatch it for him. They called it in and went to collect the prize money. A woman handed Joey the money. 5 $100 bills. Joey kept one and handed the rest to his mom when he got home. In tears his mom said “The Lord still answers prayers! We have rent due and I didn’t know how I would pay but the Lord gave me a way!” Joey said “yes momma, you’re right he does answer prayers!” That evening Mr. Billings had the two over for burgers, chips, and cola not a traditional Christmas supper but to the three it couldn’t get any better.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KYtrapper2005; 12/24/20 09:57 PM.

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7097893
12/20/20 11:24 AM
12/20/20 11:24 AM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
ALLLLLL-RIGHT!!! We have our first 2 contest entries!!! And they are GREAT ones at that!! Welcome to the contest, Lillianne & Jackson!! You other kids best get your pencils, pens, paints, brushes, utensils(?), and tools MOVIN", if you are gonna top these two awesome entries!! grin

Only 5 (FIVE) more days to go til the DEADLINE Christmas EVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Goodman

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7097962
12/20/20 12:11 PM
12/20/20 12:11 PM
WI
A
AliciaK Offline
trapper
AliciaK  Offline
trapper
A

WI
Alicia Krusey, 15, from Wisconsin. Good luck everyone!

Bell had watched John go out every day for the last few years. He’d changed from a young teenager who loved to trap, to an almost adult who still was passionate about trapping. She absolutely loved the days when John would come home with a fox in his pack. Being 10, she couldn’t do a whole lot but Bell took every chance she could to read books about foxes. Bell would also hang out in the trap shed with John to watch him skin the foxes and other animals he caught. John had trapped what seemed like everything to Bell; raccoon, fox, coyote, beaver, skunk, and otter. These were all animals that would travel the woods in Northern Wisconsin where John and Bell’s family lived.
It became Bell’s goal to trap a fox by herself. To accomplish this she convinced John to let her trap with him. John was working hard to make sure that Bell could accomplish her goal. With it being December 23rd it was quite cold and snowy. Bell struggled to keep up sometimes but she was never left behind.
John and Bell were in the neighboring county setting traps on a family member’s farm. Bell was in charge of setting the small traps, with the help of John. John had stepped away for a second, following tracks, he was in a daze until he heard a small yelp from Bell. He turned around to see Bell’s hand in the trap. He raced over to her because even though it wouldn’t cut or cause damage to her, it doesn’t feel nice to have a trap on your hand. He stepped on both of the levers and freed Bell’s hand. “How come you went and got your hand stuck in there?” spoke John.
“I didn’t mean to John! I was adjusting the trap pan and got distracted by watching you.”
“Oh Bell, I told you that you have to pay attention when you’re doing this stuff. It’s not a job for lil’ girls who can’t pay attention.”
“I know…”
“If you get your hand caught in that trap again because you aren’t paying attention, I am not helping you get out,” said John firmly.
As his little sister looked up with her bright blue eyes in fear he let out a chuckle. “Really? You won’t help me?” asked a desperate and worried little 10-year-old Bell.

Bell and John got home around four-thirty in the afternoon, so right around the sunset. Bell rushed up to her mama to tell her she got her hand in a trap and didn’t even cry. Mama shot John a quick glare but you could tell a little smile was hiding behind her look. John spoke up to solidify Bell’s claim, “She’s right. Got her hand caught in a #2 Bridger, got her out just fine. She didn’t shed a tear.”
Later that night Bell was sitting on her bed praying, “Dear God, thank you for everything I have. My house, my family especially John, the food, and foxes. God, I really hope you allow me to catch a fox this year. Amen.”
After Bell finished her prayer she went to bed. Slowly the rest of the family settled down and fell asleep as well. Tomorrow would be another day of checking traps and having fun.
Bell sprang out of bed like she usually does around 6:30 in the morning. When she walked into the kitchen she was greeted by her father and John. “Happy Christmas Eve!” Her father boomed.
“You ready to go check our traps Bell?” John said while giving Bell a slap on the back.
Grinning, Bell jumped up and raced to put on her snow pants and coat. For Christmas, she was hoping for a fur hat or mittens made by her mother, but she knew it was a lot to ask for. Her hands got quite cold but never got frostbite. Her bigger wish for Christmas was most definitely a fox. Getting to see one of their beautiful coats knowing that she trapped it. She knew there would be no better feeling.
They hopped in Johns 81’ Chevy truck and started down the road to the first out of three farms. At that farm they caught two coyote, a skunk, and three raccoons. “Nice job, Bell. Really stacking them up!” whooped John.
Bell just smiled, knowing that what she wanted was a fox. She was still very proud of today’s catches. They reset all the traps and moved on to the second farm.
Their second farm was where John let Bell set her traps by herself. Bell caught a raccoon and John had another coyote, skunk, and three racoons. Bell was pleased with herself since she caught a big boar raccoon, but still wanted a fox more than ever. John brought the truck over to his pile of animals and loaded them into the truck bed along with Bell’s raccoon.
Once they got home Bell ran out and told her mom that she caught a raccoon all by herself. After her mom gave her a hug she went back outside to help John skin the animals. Bell skinned her raccoon first and then went to help John do his. Together it took them about an hour and a half. Bell took her time with the pelts not wanting to cut holes in any.
By the time their dad got home it was supper time. They sat around the table eating the raccoon pot roast their mom made, discussing the trapline catches with their dad. Dad took his time listening to John and Bell but then turned to Bell and asked, “So, Sweetheart what do you want for Christmas?”
“A fox!!” she exclaimed.
A loud chuckle comes from their dad, “Well I guess you’ll have to check your traps with John first thing in the morning!”
The rest of the night consisted of reading their newspapers and magazines before heading to bed. John slid into bed and started thinking about where they could set traps next. While Bell lay in bed thinking about catching a fox. Going over in her head how to skin it and how she could make her sets better. Soon she fell asleep.
“Merry Christmas, Bell!!” shouted John as he threw Bell’s door open, waking her up.
“Merry Christmas,” said Bell sleepily.
“Get ready to check traps, so we can open presents sooner.”
Bell complied and hurried to get dressed. They slipped out the door and got into the chevy. The first farm had two racoons and a coyote, which wasn’t bad. They threw them in the truck bed and moved on to the second farm.
While pulling up to the farm they noticed a truck pulled up along the field where one of Bell’s traps were. John knew there were a few people around here who would see really pretty animals trapped and take them before the trapper noticed. John gunned it, pulling up behind the truck.
“HEY! What do you think you’re doing?” yelled John to the man approaching the set.
The startled man took the gun he was aiming at the fox and aimed at Bell. John instantly sprang onto the man knocking the firearm out of his hand. The smell of alcohol was strong on the man. John knew the man was heavily intoxicated and was very dangerous. John sat on the flailing man and pinned him down. John yelled at Bell to go and get help. Bell took the opportunity to get in the truck and drive to the neighbors so they could call the police.
Bell hurried back and parked the truck in the same spot as before. However she noticed John and the man were no longer pinned in the snow. She wanted to stop and admire her beautiful fox she caught, but finding her brother was more important. She sprinted about fifteen yards to a thicker patch of trees where she found the man tied with his hands behind his back around a tree. Relieved that he was no longer a threat to her she looked around for John.
John took the opportunity and jumped out of the woods scaring Bell, so badly that she fell to the ground. John laughed but picked his little sister up, just as the police arrived.
They had brought three men with them. One stayed to talk with John and Bell, while the other two picked up the gun and untied the man. After the man was put in the back of the police car, they all went to join the first officer.
“We pulled up to check our traps and noticed this man. I yelled “hey” to get his attention and he pointed his gun straight at my little sister. I tackled him and knocked the firearm away from him. Bell went for help and I tied him up, making sure he was no longer a threat to us.” John told the police.
“John, son, you did a good job today. We will get this guy into the station and make sure it’s handled properly. Now as long as neither of you are injured, have a nice Christmas.”
Bell walked over to her first fox and just watched it. John took out his old bat from the truck and dispatched the fox. Bell waited a few minutes before walking over and petting it’s soft, red coat. She removed the fox from the trap and set it in the truck bed. Together they checked the rest of the traps in silence getting a raccoon and two red fox from John's traps.
“You finally get your Christmas wish?” asked John.
“Yes, yes I did.”
As soon as they walked in the door they said Merry Christmas to their parents. John sat down with Bell next to him and said, “Man did we have quite the time…”

[Linked Image]

You can't go wrong with being outdoors.
Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7098352
12/20/20 05:23 PM
12/20/20 05:23 PM
New London, Wisconsin
W
WisTrapper Online content
trapper
WisTrapper  Online Content
trapper
W

New London, Wisconsin
The Christmas Fox
By Emma Pingel Age 9
Wisconsin

Once there was a fox named, Amelia. Walking through the woods on Christmas morning she stepped out of the woods towards a small snowy town. She saw small shiny stars all over the houses and trees, and Ameila found this confusing. As she walked closer, she saw trees inside people’s houses, with more shining stars! This made her even more confused. Amelia stepped closer to a window and saw people giving boxes wrapped up in colorful paper. As the other person opened the box, Amelia saw the joy in the persons eyes as they took the paper off. She felt like she had to do the same for her family. On the way home, Amelia picked up some gifts for the pups. When she got back to the den, the pups opened the gifts she had brought. Amelia saw the happiness and excitement in the pup’s eyes and knew then that the true meaning of Christmas was about giving.

[Linked Image]

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7098784
12/20/20 10:33 PM
12/20/20 10:33 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
Red's Christmas by Joel Bonine 10, North Dakota

Santa is jolly near Christmas. We all know that Santa has a red coat and hat. But Santa is not jolly this Christmas. He had all the toys made but he still had not got any animals to give to the trappers for Christmas.
“Great, great, great!” said Red. Red is an arctic fox. He knew that Santa would trap him he thought as he saw Santa go out on his sled to check his traps. Then he got an idea. Then he saw a raccoon. So Red got up and chased the raccoon up a tree. The raccoon got to the tree and started up a tree but Red bit the raccoon's tail and drug the raccoon to a trap. The raccoon stepped in the trap. Then Red ran off.
The next day Red started out to look for more raccoons. Then he saw Santa's hat in the snow. So he put the hat on his head. Then he came up from the back of a snow bank. He saw a gray fox eating the bait out of a bear trap. So Red jumped on the gray fox and the trap snapped on the gray fox's neck killing the gray fox. So Red got 12 raccoons, 11 coyotes, and 3 bears, and then Santa promised not to trap Red.

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7098785
12/20/20 10:34 PM
12/20/20 10:34 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
[Linked Image]

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7098794
12/20/20 10:39 PM
12/20/20 10:39 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
Made By Katherine Bonine. Age 6, ND

Santa's New Christmas
one morning on Christmas Santa woke up. He knew that he had to go deliver presents.
He saw a fox. A red fox. He wanted to trap that red fox. He wanted to turn it into a coat from that fox.
He set traps for the red fox. The traps were snares. In the morning Santa woke up. He was out the door.
To check his traps in his snare was a red fox. And for Santa he had a new Christmas coat from the fox.

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7098797
12/20/20 10:40 PM
12/20/20 10:40 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
[Linked Image]

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7099848
12/21/20 09:19 PM
12/21/20 09:19 PM
Michigan
T
TrapperHooper Offline
trapper
TrapperHooper  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
One Christmas Eve was a beautiful baby Red Fox with its family pack. This Red Fox was the baby of the pack that was never included in anything. His brothers would always do stuff without Rexy. On Christmas Eve his older brothers went to go do stuff and Rexy went the other way to go look for Mice for an appetizer for their Christmas Eve dinner. When Rexy was by the waterfowl he met a deer. Her name was Rosey. She was a beautiful doe. They sat and talked for awhile then Rosey ask "can we be friends?" Rexy replied " yes that would be awesome " So they walked through the woods to both find dinner for their families. They came across a rainforest and saw a Frog. The Frog was scared of Rexy because he knew he was a Foxes prey. Rexy asked if they could be friends. The Frog was suspicious because he thought that he was going to be eaten by Rexy but Rexy was only out for Mice. But Rocky the Frog said yes anyways. So Rexy, Rockey, and Rosey walked a little more and came across the gloomy forest. They heard running in the woods. They were all curious and nervous. Suddenly a growl came from a distants. There stands a mountain lion. Rosey got nervous and took off running. Following was the mountain lion. Rockey jumped on Rexys back and ran after them. After running for miles we found Rosey hiding in a cave. Rexy and Rockey tried comforting Rosey. They heard another growl. There it was standing behind them was the mountain lion. He says " hey im Rambo i want your friend" Rexy replied " No shes my friend your not touching her " Rambo said " watch me" He walked toward them and Rexy yelled " Dont touch her! If you dont touch her I will allow you to come for dinner with the rest of us!" Rambo replied "really? That would be nice I dont have a family to celebrate Christmas Eve with sadly" Rexy said "you can come just dont touch my friend" Rambo said ok. They all became friends and walked back to the Fox pack. Rexy walked in a introduced them all. The mountain lion brought some mice because he knew that Foxes liked Mice. The pack couldnt belive Rexy got friends. Rexy was also surprised. They sat down at the table and began to feast. Christmas morning they all had presents for eachother. They had an amazing breakfeast and celebrated Christmas together. 5 years later they were all older and Rexys siblings suddenly wanted to hang out with him and Rexy said "I have my real friends to hang out with." And he left being the Leader of the pack. Written by Sierra Hooper, age 14, from Iron river Michigan

20201221_190252.jpg
Last edited by TrapperHooper; 12/23/20 05:05 PM.
Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7100776
12/22/20 02:31 PM
12/22/20 02:31 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
WOW!! Things are really cooking now! I want to officially welcome Alicia, Emma, Joel, and Katherine to the contest!! Great entries, kids!!

And also Sierra!

Good Luck, KIDS!

Last edited by JoeGoodman; 12/23/20 06:55 PM.

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7102638
12/23/20 08:20 PM
12/23/20 08:20 PM
Illinois. U.S.
Alf Edwards Offline
trapper
Alf Edwards  Offline
trapper

Illinois. U.S.
A Christmas Gift

Once there were two red foxes living in the mountains of Idaho, and they wanted a family of their own. They had tried to have pups every spring, but never could. One evening after a visit to the huckleberry bramble, on their journey back to their den, they heard some whimpering. They walked up to where the noises were coming from. Inside a large hollow cottonwood tree they found an abandoned raccoon kit. Both of the foxes thought for a moment of what to do with this little kit. They then decided to take him back to their den and care for him as their own. Once the three arrived at their den they made a spruce needle bed for him, and went to their cache to get food for the kit. They brought back what was left of their food to feed the kit. They returned and fed him all the food, and saved none for themselves. Once the kit fell asleep, the fox pair went out to collect more food.

First they went to a nearby chicken coop, not to kill the chickens, but to gather some eggs. They only took five eggs, and then they moved on to the huckleberry bramble before heading back home. Once they arrived back at the den, to their surprise, there were two raccoon kits! It was the first kit's litter mate.

In the morning, once the sun was up, the vixen took the kits out to teach them things they would need to know to survive. First, she taught them what berries were poisonous, and the caught that on pretty quickly. After she taught some more survival skills, they went down to the creek for lunch. There, the male fox was stalking mice along the banks. After a belly full of mice, the fox pair napped in the midday sun. Soon, they awoke to the sound of rustling leaves. Once fully awake they found their kits playfully wrestling with a mountain lion cub. They looked around for the cub's mother, but did not see her, so they decided to foster the cub as well.

After a few days and one heavy snow later it was Christmas Eve. The growing family of animals went out to hunt rabbits in the western part of their woods. They would not normally travel that far, but they know that was where the rabbits liked to hide. The first step into the thick woods they saw a rabbit. He was hunkered down and scared so it was an easy catch for the male fox. After stalking several more rabbits, the foxes, the kits, and the cub were all full. On their way back to the den, the vixen fox noticed what looked like a fox pup curled up under a snow drift. They went over to it and were very confused. They had never seen anything like this. It had the ears of a fox with a tail that looked like a fox's, but wasn't big and fluffy. Then they realized they had seen something similar to this at the trapper family's cabin. The foxes had heard the trapper call these animals "dogs", when they traveled by the cabin. The family of animals decided to feed it and then leave it at the trappers cabin in the morning. The vixen held the pup by the neck with her mouth as the animals walked home. They fed the pup and warmed her up for the night.

Right before dawn they crept up to the trappers door, and set the puppy on the porch. The animals saw a hollow log, and hid by it. For about an hour the foxes kept an eye on the puppy while the kits and the cub slept in the log. When the family woke up, the kids stepped outside to see the fresh snow. They almost stepped on the pup! The kids first saw the foxes, and then looked down and saw the puppy. They shouted with excitement to their parents. "There's a puppy on our porch!" Their parents came outside to pick up the puppy and took her in to their warm cabin. The foxes looked at each other, and were glad that they had given the puppy a loving home, on that beautiful Christmas morning.

Epilogue

The raccoons left the den in the late summer, and the next spring they started their own families. The mountain lion cub left the den also, and started her own family the following year. The foxes still foster animals every year, train them up, and then send them on their way. The animals travel to the den every year around Christmas time. They hunt for Christmas dinner together, eat together, and spend the night curled up together.

The trapper family named the pup Sequoia. She still sometimes leaves an egg or two at the den for the animal family. She spends the winters running trap lines with the trapper and his children, and the summers chasing the children around the homestead.

Cody Lynn Edwards age 12 Decatur, Illinois Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year

IMG-20201223-WA0000.jpg
Last edited by Alf Edwards; 12/23/20 08:31 PM.
Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7102920
12/23/20 11:17 PM
12/23/20 11:17 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
Zachary Bonine, Age 12, North Dakota

The sun coming over the horizon set the wintry land aglow, painting the white of the snow with the gold of the dawn. Midst the towering firs and pine in their white winter cloaks, walked a single wool-clad figure who pulled a handmade sled which was loaded with several traps, a few fisher, and a lynx.

But as the boy walked on the deep dry powder with his wood and rawhide snowshoes, he wondered if he had trapped the one creature that kept escaping him. It had always detected his traps and evaded them. The one thing the boy longed to do was to match wits with the clever and beautiful red fox.

There was a time when he would have thought any four-legged fur-bearer could not escape his traps, but that was before he saw the fox, its' fur was gold, ears tatters, and its' muzzle was silver. It had been caught before for it only had three legs. All these factors made this fox crafty, wary and next to impossible to trap.

He had been so lost in thought about his elusive quarry that he almost missed a glint of red from behind an abandon beaver lodge and there in a trap that he had set earlier that year was the red fox. He remembered setting the trap well, he had spent an entire evening digging into the frozen mud on the lodge and setting a size four in hopes that he could catch a beaver while they were repairing the damage, but soon fell sick the week after. When he was strong enough to run his trap line he had been kept busy hauling in a weeks worth of catches and soon forgot that set.

The boy raised the gun, pulled the trigger and turned from the fox's dying throes. Only then did he allow himself to think on the question. Why? Why a trap that he had hardly checked, on a beaver lodge he had not set foot on since the beginning of the season?

It was probably his scent. The fox was trap-wise and had smelled him every time and stepped over the traps no matter how well he set them.

He picked the fox up, admiring its' silver muzzle. He hated killing it and because it was covered in scars the hide was not going to be worth much, but it wouldn't have lasted long on only three legs in the spring. He would make it into a hat for his sister's Christmas present. Maybe next year she could help him trap the surrounding farms . He already had several requests on that subject but he needed more help. These were the thoughts that filled his head as he walked home.

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7102922
12/23/20 11:19 PM
12/23/20 11:19 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
[Linked Image]

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7103701
12/24/20 01:05 PM
12/24/20 01:05 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline
trapper
G

Ohio
A Christmas Fox
-Mason Mayer, age 15, Ohio

Pff pff pff, the sound the foxes feet made as he walked through the snow. The sun was setting on the cold December night; the sky was like a painting of purples, pinks, and blues. The glare of the glare of the sun twinkled in the foxes eye as it began to scour the ground for a small mouse or other rodent. He followed the old fence row that was constructed in 1952 by the now old man that was huddled up by the wood burner with his family. The fox glanced in and saw the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree. The fox glanced back down and got back to hunting.

The fox passed a small smelly dirt hole with some kicked up dirt in front of it. The fox has been around for a while and knew what this was; it was a trap. In a playful mood the fox dug it up knowing it will confuse and anger the old man when he went to go check traps the next morning.

The snow landed and melted on the foxes thick fiery fur. The fox spent the night hunting and smelling. When dawn came he laid down in the tall grass to go to sleep.

The fox was quickly awoken by the sound of one.... no... two people. One voice was the old man’s voice, followed by the sound of two small feet. “Grandpa” the small footed child called out. “Yes” said the old man. “Why haven’t we caught a fox yet” said the small boy. “We must be patient” said the old man, “we can’t catch everything, plus, isn’t it fun to be out with your grandpa” said the old man. “Yes it is pawpaw, I like trapping with you” said the boy. “Well let’s head back home and celebrate Christmas” said the old man who the boy called pawpaw, “we can catch one some other time” the man continued as he flashed a smile.

Just then the fox ran out of the brush in front of the two. The boy saw it and got excited. The grandpa calmed him down and said “see they are around here, we just gotta be patient”. Time went on and they never caught that fox but the boy grew up, and on every Christmas the boy now man would remember his grandpa and the joy of spending time with him on his trapline, especially when they saw that ole’ Christmas fox.

Last edited by Gone Trappin.; 12/24/20 08:04 PM.
Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7103703
12/24/20 01:06 PM
12/24/20 01:06 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline
trapper
G

Ohio
[Linked Image]

Re: ANNUAL TRAPPERMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST !!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7103749
12/24/20 01:30 PM
12/24/20 01:30 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Evan Duliba
Age 8
New York

Once upon a time I was flying in my paraglider. I just got it on Christmas Eve yesterday. Then I saw a strange figure going in and out of bushes. Is it Santa? No, is it a fox? No! It is a Christmas fox! I could not believe it. I landed, then I saw it, so red and Christmassy. I wanted to run back to the house, but I was too worried that it would run away. So I stayed. I could smell Christmas dinner, biscuit gravy most likely. I yawned. The fox ran away like lightning! I went home and ate, it was delicious. MMMMMM! I told my family what I had seen today. I have a small family, a Dad, a Mom, and a very, very, very, very, VERY annoying older brother. He did not believe me. I had to prove it to him. The next day my brother and I and my Dad went hunting. While going to our stand, my brother saw the Christmas fox! He must’ve jumped a mile. My Dad and I laughed out loud! My brother WET HIS PANTS because he was so surprised. I think he believes me now! We continued to our stand to hunt for deer. We got a big buck. We tracked it down, he was HUGE! We went home and had desert, it was delicious MMMMMM. What a very special Christmas it had turned out to be!

Evan.jpg
Last edited by robert.d12; 12/24/20 02:00 PM.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread