No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7102042
12/23/20 12:51 PM
12/23/20 12:51 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Canada has no constitutional "right" to own guns like the states does-thats the biggest difference.
Owning a gun in Canada is a priviledge,and priviledges come with responsibility.
Rights also come with responsibility-and rights can be taken away just as fast as a priviledge when certain "govts" take the reigns.
I wouldnt be too cocky about "rights" being inalienable under Joe and the Ho.

Last edited by Boco; 12/23/20 12:54 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Boco] #7102136
12/23/20 01:57 PM
12/23/20 01:57 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by Boco
Canada has no constitutional "right" to own guns like the states does-thats the biggest difference.
Owning a gun in Canada is a priviledge,and priviledges come with responsibility.
Rights also come with responsibility-and rights can be taken away just as fast as a priviledge when certain "govts" take the reigns.
I wouldnt be too cocky about "rights" being inalienable under Joe and the Ho.

Boco, I think it's Joe and the Ho who doesn't need to be to cocky.

"We the People" ultimately run this freedom show.

Member - FTA
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7102139
12/23/20 01:58 PM
12/23/20 01:58 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
Hey Twolines, I have only been jumping in and out of this thread and maybe did not notice you had some direct and pointed questions above. I'll do my best here...

There is very little gun crime in Canada outside of Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg and some areas around dirt poor reserves. In Toronto, there has been a recent rash of gun crime involving handguns illegally imported from the US in almost all cases. I don't have specific numbers, but I can tell you that on a per capita basis it is nowhere near the violent crime rates in many parts of the USA.
As Boco stated above.. we don't have a constitutionally enshrined right to keep and bear arms. I wish we did, but we don't.
I can also say that many people here did not roll over... the non-compliance rates during the registration scheme were very high and for those foolish enough to publish it on social media, a lot of folks here do not plan to comply with any buy back program either. Screeching on the internet that you're going to violently resist gun confiscation is (IMO) just stupid.
To add to our problems, a great many in the military are of the opinion that civilians should not be armed as are most of the RCMP, local and provincial police that I have spoken to... they are in large part not on our side.

I live a 2 minute boat ride from downtown Detroit, yet there is almost zero chance of me being the victim of a violent crime if I am out wandering around the city at 3am... honestly, near zero. I can't say why that is, but it is true. Not so true in Toronto or Winnipeg, but here in Windsor, it's true.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7102149
12/23/20 02:09 PM
12/23/20 02:09 PM
ontario
G
grampy Offline
trapper
grampy  Offline
trapper
G

ontario
Slydogx--what level and how many policemen have you been talking to? I can believe some management would have that view, but if it is to Constables you are talking to I find that opinion hard to believe. If it is so times haves sure changed since I was "on the road"

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7102157
12/23/20 02:16 PM
12/23/20 02:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
RCMP - just review the press releases from Blair the traitor
Police - OPP I have heard this opinion from management and street level officers; Locally, it is a widespread opinion at street level that regular people can't be trusted with guns and that it just makes their job more dangerous

Just happy to be here.
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: slydogx] #7102522
12/23/20 07:10 PM
12/23/20 07:10 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by slydogx
The OIC (order in council) has a great many problems... including "accidentally" rendering many removable choke 12 gauge shotguns prohib simply due to bore diameter. They have since offered a BS clarification so that they don't lose all those precious votes in Central and Eastern Ontario and all other points East from there... those are the Fudds who were promised that they could still keep Grandpa's shotgun for duck hunting and their .30 30 for their once a year drinking (moose hunting) trips.
You'll hear a lot of things like... who needs a handgun/AR platform rifle... if you need a semi auto for hunting you're a bad shot...and on, and on, and on from people who want to justify voting for any major party besides the Conservatives... since EVERY other major party has pledged to take away our guns to varying degree.
The union boys will vote NDP because they think a conservative gov't somehow weakens their bargaining positions; the French will vote Liberal because Meme and Pepe told them that the conservatives are evil Anglophones intent on destroying their culture and language
I personally wouldn't give a rat's behind who was in power if it weren't for the fact that EVERY party except one (not counting fringe parties) has outright pledged to their electorate that they will be banning some, most or all civilian firearm ownership.
I think most are just reluctant to risk whatever freebies the gov't throws at them for being part of a special group or classification of human being so they create boogey men in order to continue slobbering at the trough

You sir, can sit by my fire any day. We need more folks with thinking skills such as yours.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7102533
12/23/20 07:18 PM
12/23/20 07:18 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

How much longer is it going to be Canada- wouldn't the European Panhandle be more fitting? whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Leftlane] #7102560
12/23/20 07:31 PM
12/23/20 07:31 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Leftlane
How much longer is it going to be Canada- wouldn't the European Panhandle be more fitting? whistle

grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: ] #7103366
12/24/20 09:23 AM
12/24/20 09:23 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by Twolines
I let up with the crime questions because you and others keep dancing around my other questions. Why you just rolled over?
What was my insult? Yella? That’s a truth bud not meant to be an insult.

I went back through the thread to find these other ?’s I was apparently dancing around. I’d answer some if they were not tongue in cheek style, such as “how do you imprison half a nation”? What are you even talking about here. I actually think you decided to backpedal on the crime ?’s because Alaska is about as messed up as it gets for crime rates.

Last edited by rvsask; 12/24/20 09:24 AM.
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: rvsask] #7103497
12/24/20 10:47 AM
12/24/20 10:47 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by rvsask
Forget the crime?’s, why? Is it easier to just call me yella than it is to wonder why if I had a daughter in the US she’d be 16 times as likely to get raped ?

In Canada,

She'd be 16 times as likely to be killed, and eaten by a Cannibal !!!! shocked

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7103602
12/24/20 11:59 AM
12/24/20 11:59 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Walleyed, there’s gotta be a better “burn” than that. eek

Dahmer
Fish
Hale

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: rvsask] #7103617
12/24/20 12:12 PM
12/24/20 12:12 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by rvsask
Walleyed, there’s gotta be a better “burn” than that. eek

Dahmer
Fish
Hale

That's all I got today. laugh

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: crosspatch] #7103682
12/24/20 12:53 PM
12/24/20 12:53 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
Originally Posted by crosspatch
Lots of New Year's Eve freedom here. Rat a tat tat at midnight guns going off all around town and the reserve right next door. Been going on since there was gun powder here, 8 police stationed here and they don't care - they too busy dealing with real problems. And where else can u pull into a gas station, on a skidoo, with a gun on ur back and walk on in? U can here - everyone knows you gotta pay for ur gas before you go off hunting.

Where else? I've seen young women in Montana at the grocery store, tank tops and shorts, packing a 10mm (one of those scary dangerous semi-automatic pistols ) so they could buy beer before they went camping in the mountains. It was in bear country, nobody batted an eye about it. Best thing, they can sit out by the campfire and drink their beer.

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Gene Dziza] #7103694
12/24/20 01:01 PM
12/24/20 01:01 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
Originally Posted by Boco
You can have any gun here that you can in the states as long as you got your licence.
Gun licence is like a drivers licence here.
Once you have your licence there is none of that dumb waiting for background checks of having someone else with a licence get one in the mail for you.We can buy/order guns/ammo anywhere any time here.
Like trapping you guys have too many restrictions down there.

That's a great way to do it, IMO. Have a license that supports that you don't have mental illness or felonies, and then be allowed to buy a gun anytime. Also make it so private sales have to be conducted with someone with a valid license. I would be all for that.

I didn't think you guys could carry a concealed handgun. Am I wrong on that?

Do you guys have the severe ammo shortage we have going on?

Why in God's name should you need a license to sell a firearm to someone?
Who gets to define mental illness?
Ridiculous

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Boco] #7103702
12/24/20 01:05 PM
12/24/20 01:05 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
[quote=Boco]You take the wilderness handgun course and get the licence -thats it.
It is offered to trappers when they take their trappers course.
Many of the trapping instructors offer the firearms safety course,hunters ed,wilderness hangun course etc.
For the record I sold all my handguns years ago.[/quote

Boco, can you fellows carry a pistol on any trapline, or is the permit only valid on Registered lines that you own or work? As an example, can you carry it while trapping in the settled/ag areas as well.....like when running beaver traps for farmers, etc.

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7103817
12/24/20 02:09 PM
12/24/20 02:09 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Not sure,I never needed a gun to trap,and dont carry a handgun.The only time I carry any gun on the trapline is for potting meat-a combination gun 22 mag over 410.I often dont carry a gun at all on the trapline especially if I'm trapping beaver in late winter-got enough stuff in the sleigh for that-dont need any unneccessary encumbrances for sure.
When doing nuisance beaver work I carry a high-power for shooting beaver or for bear.
Not just trappers are eligable for a wilderness handgun permit.Prospectors or other bush workers,field biologists etc can get them.

Last edited by Boco; 12/24/20 02:18 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7103849
12/24/20 02:37 PM
12/24/20 02:37 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
TY Boco

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7103896
12/24/20 03:06 PM
12/24/20 03:06 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
For some context, the bs is getting thick.

Trappers must apply for an ATC. Authoritiztion too carry permit.

You have too already have an rpal. Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence.

You can get it for dispatch and wilderness protection. (But can’t carry both at the same time)

There are caliber restrictions. 22 for dispatch 44 mag protection. Only revolvers.

You have to take a proficiency/range test. Shooting prone/kneeling/standing at different distances. Once too qualify, then after one year. Then every two years

For trappers, for dispatch/protection. You can only carry on your rfma. Must be visible, not concealed.

I can’t carry when foot trapping coyotes on private land.

The licensing/permits major pain in the *** to maintain. Time wise/money wise.

They don’t give them out when you take your trappers course.

I just renewed mine. The CFO said there where less than 600 in all of Canada in 2018.

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: Savell] #7103898
12/24/20 03:11 PM
12/24/20 03:11 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Yikes- prayers on the way SP Jones

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Is This True Canada? [Re: spjones] #7103916
12/24/20 03:19 PM
12/24/20 03:19 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by spjones
For some context, the bs is getting thick.

Trappers must apply for an ATC. Authoritiztion too carry permit.

You have too already have an rpal. Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence.

You can get it for dispatch and wilderness protection. (But can’t carry both at the same time)

There are caliber restrictions. 22 for dispatch 44 mag protection. Only revolvers.

You have to take a proficiency/range test. Shooting prone/kneeling/standing at different distances. Once too qualify, then after one year. Then every two years

For trappers, for dispatch/protection. You can only carry on your rfma. Must be visible, not concealed.

I can’t carry when foot trapping coyotes on private land.

The licensing/permits major pain in the *** to maintain. Time wise/money wise.

They don’t give them out when you take your trappers course.

I just renewed mine. The CFO said there where less than 600 in all of Canada in 2018.

Good to read a non sugercoated post bout your laws. Knew from hunting in your country that some of what has been posted here was.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread