No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? #7101761
12/23/20 09:05 AM
12/23/20 09:05 AM
Id
I
IdahoSpud Offline OP
trapper
IdahoSpud  Offline OP
trapper
I

Id
I'd love to go catch prime fox, bobcat, and wolves in the mountains here. However, there's no way my truck is going to make it up the mountain roads during that time so I've been thinking about getting a mountain sled.

Anyone here using a mountain sled to get in the snow packed backcountry mountains? If it's deep powder, can you set traps at all anyway? Would you attempt to bed them directly in the snow and just use a drag?

I think it would be fun to go exploring on one in the snow anyway, but I want to make sure it's even going to work for trapping before dropping that kind of money.

Re: Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? [Re: IdahoSpud] #7101819
12/23/20 09:57 AM
12/23/20 09:57 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline
trapper
N

New York
I have a cheap version of what you might be talking about... The "Jet Sled." It's on eBay and Amazon http://ebay.us/hPIP2l

The company is US-based, called Shappell. You can pull the sled with snow, or no snow. You can load it down with anything. First year with it, and I love it.

If you do get one, follow modification videos. There is a really good simple on on youtube where the guy puts in loops every x-inches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODUcZ_w5efI Now... I used paracord instead of these straps but straps would be better. Paracord works great though. That way you can tie-in your boots, traps, whatever and walk around with impunity.

Re: Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? [Re: IdahoSpud] #7103410
12/24/20 09:56 AM
12/24/20 09:56 AM
Western Quebec, Canada
O
OntheOttawa Offline
trapper
OntheOttawa  Offline
trapper
O

Western Quebec, Canada
I have and use a 2002 Yamaha Mountain Max 600cc with 2 inch paddles that i bought new. Been using it since day 1 and have been more than happy with it on the line. Having a covered sleigh is a must and i usually wipe off the lid every other set or after a long non stop trip, no sense pulling extra weight. My sleigh comes from FHA and that my not be an option for ya but there are others types out there. And as dirt dog said as well i don't hesitate to go anywhere i point that sled, can't say that about my wife's SWT track Skandic.

Re: Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? [Re: IdahoSpud] #7104314
12/24/20 07:45 PM
12/24/20 07:45 PM
Idaho
O
old_newbie Offline
trapper
old_newbie  Offline
trapper
O

Idaho
I guess it depends on the type of mountain sled you buy. A lot of the bigger machines overheat when trail riding since they are made mainly for powder and have smaller coolers on them. I use a '99 Polaris RMK 600 with little problem, once in a while it gets a little hot when the snow is packed and stale but I just let it cool down a little and I'm back at it.

Member NTA, ITA, and USRTA
Re: Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? [Re: IdahoSpud] #7104715
12/24/20 11:32 PM
12/24/20 11:32 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Depending on where in Idaho you are marten might also be on the menu.

Re: Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? [Re: IdahoSpud] #7104745
12/25/20 12:11 AM
12/25/20 12:11 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Be sure and bring a shovel. Pulling a sled in powder is major work. A rope-along if you can find one is invaluable.
Check on the wilderness forum those guys know their stuff.
My Indy 500 widetrack does better than my 800 summit with a sled full of gear. Sometimes faster isn’t better.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Trapping in the snow/using a mountain sled? [Re: IdahoSpud] #7104759
12/25/20 12:30 AM
12/25/20 12:30 AM
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
As i recall, you cussed in a post, bawled about it, got dominated by a single spring body-gripper because
your hands are dainty and weak, and now you want a mountain sled? Crawl before walk sweetheart.
Or, maybe your wife can drive while you ride #$%!@. Merry Christmas tater head.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread