No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How America Was Lost Again #7111768
12/30/20 01:10 AM
12/30/20 01:10 AM
Iowa
TrapperDR Offline OP
trapper
TrapperDR  Offline OP
trapper

Iowa
I am by no means a historian or an "educated" person, however in reflecting tonight, I began to wonder if this isn't how the Native Americans must have felt when their lands were taken over.

In my understanding and readings they had a warrior mentality that they developed and hoped would prevail. Upon meeting their new enemies they either tried to incorporate or dominate their foe. After years of this exchange and upon the grim realization the world they had so valued was changing regardless. Was it a lack of innovation that caused their life being changed forever? Or was it an inability to adapt to new warfare? I'm not smart enough to answer that question.

What I do know is that my way of life style is changing before my eyes and my children will have to live with the outcome.

This is by no means meant to disparage Natives but to open the conversation.

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111778
12/30/20 01:26 AM
12/30/20 01:26 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
The Native Americans lived in a state of warfare with each other, long before the later waves of European immigrants arrived. They were used to moving frequently both for food resources and due to conflict. For many years, I don't think they saw conflict with the European Americans any different than the conflict with other Native American tribes. I think huge numbers of Native Americans were assimilated, rather than killed off, which is why there is over 14,000,000 Americans with at least some Native American genes.

Keith

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111808
12/30/20 02:19 AM
12/30/20 02:19 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
A person will never know, if nothing else for place and county names, the impact of the eastern Native Americans on the early United States. Take a road trip from northern Florida to Maine sometime and stay off of I-95 and see how many Native American names you come across driving the seaboard. It will blow your mind!

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111815
12/30/20 02:32 AM
12/30/20 02:32 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The natives were done in by the decline of the fur trade(loss of economic returns),loss of the buffalo(starvation), diseases for which they had no immunity,over run with immigrants and by lying politicians.

Pretty much whats going on right now,and basically the roadmap for the downfall of many previous civilizations.

Last edited by Boco; 12/30/20 02:37 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: Boco] #7111818
12/30/20 02:39 AM
12/30/20 02:39 AM
Iowa
TrapperDR Offline OP
trapper
TrapperDR  Offline OP
trapper

Iowa
Originally Posted by Boco
The natives were done in by the decline of the fur trade(loss of economic returns),loss of the buffalo(starvation), diseases for which they had no immunity,over run with immigrants and by lying politicians.

Pretty much whats going on right now,and basically the roadmap for the downfall of many previous civilizations.

My concerns exactly, Boco.

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: Boco] #7111829
12/30/20 03:44 AM
12/30/20 03:44 AM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI

The Indians didn't have masks to prevent the diseases. laugh

No Jab.
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111832
12/30/20 04:05 AM
12/30/20 04:05 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Lost? It’s being sold.

-Goofy-
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: Boco] #7111844
12/30/20 06:01 AM
12/30/20 06:01 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY

Well said

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: Boco] #7111872
12/30/20 07:07 AM
12/30/20 07:07 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Online content
trapper
Flipper 56  Online Content
trapper

Wabash, IN USA

X2

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111910
12/30/20 07:45 AM
12/30/20 07:45 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

The Comanche culture, emerging from its Shoshone roots, was one of constant struggle and submission to other native people, prior to them becoming the mighty breeder and developing warfare of horses.
The Apaches would eat a horse if they found it.
A Comanche would ride in and kill you from it. They were the only Indian to drive the white man back east the way he came. They were the mocked nation of people as Shoshone and the mighty feared nation as Comanches.

The Comanche culture during their last free years, documented by kidnapped German lad Herman Lehmann in his book, "Nine years a captive," highlighted a brutal graphic brutal way of life. You were not to steal, murder, rape, & pillage from any of your kin. But, you were encouraged to do all that and more to anyone not your kin. And by kin.... those identified as being from your close clan.

Cultures have come and gone.
Nations have risen and fallen.
That is established.

To think America is the final resting place is to make the mistake of almost every other grand nation that has ever been.
But it sure is a blessing beyond blessings to have been born here.
I hold there is planning in it all.
And it sure isn't political in nature.

Chief Quanah Parker, himself the son of a kidnapped Texas woman, was the last Comanche to surrender. He talked Herman Lehmann into surrendering too.
He has many quotes how the white people as he called them, go into churches and talk about God. The Indian goes into his tipi and talks with God.
[Linked Image]

And his mother, Cynthia Anne Parker, herself taken during a Comanche raid of her Texas settlement in 1836 at age 10, given Indian name Naura ("someone found").
[Linked Image]

And some today, think they have a hard life.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111915
12/30/20 07:50 AM
12/30/20 07:50 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Indians were living in the stone age. Europeans had canons.

We are a nation of 300 plus million. The canons belong to a small handful of politicians who have to talk somebody else into shooting them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111926
12/30/20 08:04 AM
12/30/20 08:04 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

^^^^^^ Good point. Literally. Donna and I are finding projectiles that were napped during thousands of years each day as we ride our south Texas trap line. Found two great points yesterday. One was in a coyote remake circle. We ALWAYS scope the remakes for dug up treasure.

The arrowhead in the hands of natives was no match for what came at them.
So I smile as some today think ammo in the gun safe will be the answer should trouble really come knocking.
It can be.
It's a solid reason for another side not to advance.
But in our tech age, all the other side has to do is throw the lever on the money, which is not hard currency as it was not that that long ago.
And we have a whole new ball game.

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111938
12/30/20 08:14 AM
12/30/20 08:14 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
from where i sit it looks like the money could be about to collapse anyway. the fed sure is creating a lot of it

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7111960
12/30/20 08:39 AM
12/30/20 08:39 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

It's a race to see who can outspend who now.
I say $600.
Oh ya, I say $1,000.
Oh well, I say $2,000.

No I call.....

When my next new truck costs $100,000, I'll sure be tickled folks got a couple hundred buckaroos.

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7112011
12/30/20 09:25 AM
12/30/20 09:25 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Im not sure why you guys are assuming the First Nation people "lost'? They signed a pile of treaties that have held up in court countless times. I've had many lawyers tell me that the lawyers they had back then must have been top shelf. The clause " as long as the wind blows and the grass grows" that they have in some of those treaties was a stroke of genius. The little band near me gets 25 million from the feds each and every year like clockwork and they dont have to do anything for it, they also get Territorial money. The same thing goes on right across the country. They pay no taxes if they live on band land, but get free education and health care including dental and meds. Hows that losing??

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: ] #7112017
12/30/20 09:29 AM
12/30/20 09:29 AM

T
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted by Mark June
It's a race to see who can outspend who now.
I say $600.
Oh ya, I say $1,000.
Oh well, I say $2,000.

No I call.....

When my next new truck costs $100,000, I'll sure be tickled folks got a couple hundred buckaroos.

But that would be preparing for the future. Something our trusted leaders ignore

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: yukon254] #7112025
12/30/20 09:34 AM
12/30/20 09:34 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by yukon254
Im not sure why you guys are assuming the First Nation people "lost'? They signed a pile of treaties that have held up in court countless times. I've had many lawyers tell me that the lawyers they had back then must have been top shelf. The clause " as long as the wind blows and the grass grows" that they have in some of those treaties was a stroke of genius. The little band near me gets 25 million from the feds each and every year like clockwork and they dont have to do anything for it, they also get Territorial money. The same thing goes on right across the country. They pay no taxes if they live on band land, but get free education and health care including dental and meds. Hows that losing??

They pay no income taxes if they work on band lands, not if they live on them. If they live on them and work off, like most around here, they pay they same taxes as you and I. They don’t pay property tax on reserve though, because it’s not their property and never will be.

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: Boco] #7112037
12/30/20 09:43 AM
12/30/20 09:43 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana

Spot on but I will add.

Something often overlooked today in the boogaloo and other movements they were not organized and did not work together on a large scale with other tribes for the long term. Had they there would be No USA. They didn't realize the danger tell it was to late and they were depleted in numbers and resources.

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7112058
12/30/20 10:04 AM
12/30/20 10:04 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
The Tribes were So varied. Some suggest the lost tribes of Israel.
Each Tribe had its ingrained beliefs/culture.

They were not all mobile, for many of the Tribes the change started with the Horse.

Like Us, some are Proud, ready to fight; but for most they were seceptable to Talk, and many times traded off their wealth.

BOCO laid it out best Above. "

Pretty much whats going on right now,and basically the roadmap for the downfall of many previous civilizations."

MARK also Added to and Highlighted similar happenings within the Comanche- occurring today within US. "The Comanche culture, emerging from its Shoshone roots, was one of constant struggle and submission to other native people, prior to them becoming the mighty breeder and developing warfare of horses.
The Apaches would eat a horse if they found it.
A Comanche would ride in and kill you from it. They were the only Indian to drive the white man back east the way he came. They were the mocked nation of people as Shoshone and the mighty feared nation as Comanches.

The Comanche culture during their last free years, documented by kidnapped German lad Herman Lehmann in his book, "Nine years a captive," highlighted a brutal graphic brutal way of life. You were not to steal, murder, rape, & pillage from any of your kin. But, you were encouraged to do all that and more to anyone not your kin. And by kin.... those identified as being from your close clan.

Cultures have come and gone.
Nations have risen and fallen.
That is established.

To think America is the final resting place is to make the mistake of almost every other grand nation that has ever been.
But it sure is a blessing beyond blessings to have been born here.
I hold there is planning in it all.
And it sure isn't political in nature.

Chief Quanah Parker, himself the son of a kidnapped Texas woman, was the last Comanche to surrender. He talked Herman Lehmann into surrendering too.
He has many quotes how the white people as he called them, go into churches and talk about God. The Indian goes into his tipi and talks with God."

Last edited by 330-Trapper; 12/30/20 10:06 AM.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: How America Was Lost Again [Re: TrapperDR] #7112168
12/30/20 11:24 AM
12/30/20 11:24 AM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
Have any of you read Wendell Berry's [/i]The Unsettling of America[i]? The opening chapter seems applicable here. These are complicated issues, and I can't pretend to have any real practical answers. However, I find Berry's view, which links our "modern" political exploitation and that of the Native Americans to economic/industrial/technological "progress", to be truthful in many ways. It's a good, though fairly dense, read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread