No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED #7112437
12/30/20 03:20 PM
12/30/20 03:20 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I just got off the phone with my county warden

17hmr and everything under 22 cal for any small game or other is a huge grey area right now.

the regs got consolidated and they state reasonable equipment as 22 caliber or larger

and the catch that applies to all small game also meaning a 204 ruger could be considered not reasonable equipment for a fox , coon, or coyote
and the way it reads they will tell you 17hmr is a no go for small game and 204 ruger is a no go for coyote and fox.

so while the service center won't say it is a grey area , my county warden had to deal with a poaching case this September guy shot a nice buck with a 17hmr he couldn't right the guy a ticket for using the 17hmr as unreasonable equipment because it took down that buck right there. said the policy guy and deputy chief.

the other Warning and we need this written out in every county come spring hearings

Possession of any shot larger than T is illegal while hunting. Including coyote hunting in any form. this one the wardens were given strict orders they will be enforcing this. My warden gets how crazy this is since no one is making BB or T shot in lead and #4 buck and , 00 ,000 buck were common for use in coyote hunting.

no buck shot of any size for coyote or any type of hunting. unless maybe it is a nuisance kill on your property.

this was an ugly consolidation of regs and not brought up in the spring hearings.

hey on the up side it is now "legal" to hunt bear with a 25acp pistol, 32s&w short, 380acp , 38spl snub nose or any other 22 caliber or larger handgun with no barrel length requirement at all however if you fail to kill the bear well thats on you.

also 410 shotguns firing slugs are also now legal for the first time in more than 30 years go figure.

he is running this up the chain of command for clarification on <22 cal for small game, he has already gotten clarification on buck of any type for coyote and we need to challenge that come spring hearing.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 12/30/20 03:28 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112444
12/30/20 03:27 PM
12/30/20 03:27 PM
Indiana
F
fishnhunts Offline
trapper
fishnhunts  Offline
trapper
F

Indiana
Sounds like wisconsin has it all figured out. I'll never forget the year that indiana decided they were going to make 5 calibers or so legal for deer hunting on private ground. It was like the politician's got together and pulled out thier hunting rifles and made those legal and omitted the rest. You could use a 243 and a 300 win mag, but not a 270 etc. As long as we have a law for everything, things will be ok.

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112446
12/30/20 03:29 PM
12/30/20 03:29 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I just got off the phone with my county warden

17hmr and everything under 22 cal for any small game or other is a huge grey area right now.

the regs got consolidated and they state reasonable equipment as 22 caliber or larger

and the catch that applies to all small game also meaning a 204 ruger could be considered not reasonable equipment for a fox , coon, or coyote
and the way it reads they will tell you 17hmr is a no go for small game and 204 ruger is a no go for coyote and fox.

so while the service center won't say it is a grey area , my county warden had to deal with a poaching case this September guy shot a nice buck with a 17hmr he couldn't right the guy a ticket for using the 17hmr as unreasonable equipment because it took down that buck right there. said the policy guy and deputy chief.

the other Warning and we need this written out in every county come spring hearings

Possession of any shot larger than T is illegal while hunting. Including coyote hunting in any form. this one the wardens were given strict orders they will be enforcing this. My warden gets how crazy this is since no one is making BB or T shot in lead and #4 buck and , 00 ,000 buck were common for use in coyote hunting.

no buck shot of any size for coyote

this was an ugly consolidation of regs and not brought up in the spring hearings.

hey on the up side it is now "legal" to hunt bear with a 25acp pistol, 32s&w short, 380acp , 38spl snub nose or any other 22 caliber or larger handgun with no barrel length requirement at all however if you fail to kill the bear it might be considered unreasonable equipment.

also 410 shotguns firing slugs are also now legal for the first time in more than 30 years go figure.

he is running this up the chain of command for clarification on <22 cal for small game, he has already gotten clarification on buck of any type for coyote and we need to challenge that come spring hearing.

I've heard horror stories when it comes to 410 slugs on deer. I shot a 410 slug into a soft maple tree. Half of the slug was sticking out of the tree. Penetration was about 1/2 an inch.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112452
12/30/20 03:36 PM
12/30/20 03:36 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

I read the regulations last night and noticed the minimum as .22 cal. I also read about no T-shot or larger allowed. Should have clarified that to read no T-shot or larger for waterfowl as that was the intent. Sometimes simpler is not better. Needs to be revisited for sure.

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: Trapper7] #7112463
12/30/20 03:45 PM
12/30/20 03:45 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Trapper7

I've heard horror stories when it comes to 410 slugs on deer. I shot a 410 slug into a soft maple tree. Half of the slug was sticking out of the tree. Penetration was about 1/2 an inch.

oh I know , I don't think they are a good idea and it doesn't specifically say you can but since any 22 or greater single projectile round is legal they unknowingly apparently did a 180 on the 410 thing after more than 30 years

What this get at is in their quest to make all the general regs fit one page did they over trim?
did they intend to do all these things or did they oops it ?
will they admit any oops ?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: Hodagtrapper] #7112465
12/30/20 03:47 PM
12/30/20 03:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
I read the regulations last night and noticed the minimum as .22 cal. I also read about no T-shot or larger allowed. Should have clarified that to read no T-shot or larger for waterfowl as that was the intent. Sometimes simpler is not better. Needs to be revisited for sure.

Chris

at this time command is telling wardens no leeway we don't care how stupid you think this is you will enforce it.

so I think this is going to require a fight.

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112508
12/30/20 04:27 PM
12/30/20 04:27 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Am I to understand it is legal now to hunt bear and deer with a regular .22 rimfire?

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: J.Morse] #7112524
12/30/20 04:44 PM
12/30/20 04:44 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by J.Morse
Am I to understand it is legal now to hunt bear and deer with a regular .22 rimfire?

sorry half way across the page it states no rimfire of any type may be used to hunt large game.

so if you had a 44 rim fire lever gun sorry you can't hunt it in WI

you can how ever legally hunt with your 25acp pistol bad of an idea as it is.

22hornet however is legal for deer and bear under current regs

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: J.Morse] #7112528
12/30/20 04:50 PM
12/30/20 04:50 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by J.Morse

Sure hope Not

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112536
12/30/20 04:54 PM
12/30/20 04:54 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you can look it over yourself prepare for spring hearings writing down all the stuff they seem to have missed in consolidation

here are the regs in pdf https://widnr.widen.net/s/z9kfb1yqcw

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112664
12/30/20 07:12 PM
12/30/20 07:12 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Online content
trapper
Moosetrot  Online Content
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Shakespeare would say "This is a crocketh of dung and it stinketh."

I use #4 Buck a LOT while coyote hunting. It does look to me like some cubicle-dwelling, erudite Yuppie confused waterfowl hunting loads with loads allowed for hunting other game.

Not much sense in making contacts till next week but I can assure you there will be noise from me on this, starting with the NRB and through every avenue I can think of. Rule simplification is one thing but messing up like this is not excusable.

Moosetrot

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112730
12/30/20 07:46 PM
12/30/20 07:46 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
What a mess

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112742
12/30/20 07:54 PM
12/30/20 07:54 PM
Wisconsin
M
mpb475 Offline
trapper
mpb475  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I talked to my warden yesterday, specifically about the buckshot issue. I was told that the buckshot issue was a victim of the "simplification" and that there is already action in the works to reverse that particular issue.

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: mpb475] #7112758
12/30/20 08:02 PM
12/30/20 08:02 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by mpb475
I talked to my warden yesterday, specifically about the buckshot issue. I was told that the buckshot issue was a victim of the "simplification" and that there is already action in the works to reverse that particular issue.

i sure hope so but that is not what the Green county warden was getting from "the policy guy" and his chief they seemed to be doubling down on that as a rule

if we get loud enough about it I think it is something that can get reversed

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: Moosetrot] #7112767
12/30/20 08:12 PM
12/30/20 08:12 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Shakespeare would say "This is a crocketh of dung and it stinketh."

I use #4 Buck a LOT while coyote hunting. It does look to me like some cubicle-dwelling, erudite Yuppie confused waterfowl hunting loads with loads allowed for hunting other game.

Not much sense in making contacts till next week but I can assure you there will be noise from me on this, starting with the NRB and through every avenue I can think of. Rule simplification is one thing but messing up like this is not excusable.

Moosetrot

there are places they can simplify and this could work on the 17hmr for small game or a 204 ruger for deer anything that you can reduce a target wild animal into possession

the issue is decades of programming employees to not think beyond what the book says is or isn't so when examples are given they take the examples as the only legal option.

they could say something like coyote may be taken by any means of firearm or archery they could open trapping coyote year round same as hunting.

you can now take deer with your 1911 45acp before it had 1/4 of an inch too short of a barrel 1/4 wasn't making a big difference in anything.

Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112774
12/30/20 08:15 PM
12/30/20 08:15 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
There are thousands of laws on the books that don't get enforced, no reason enforcement can't "overlook" this mistake until it's corrected.

On another note I hear Wisconsin is going to away with having to present animals in person that requires tags for a final sealing or CITES tag and instead simply mail out those tags.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: Steven 49er] #7112777
12/30/20 08:18 PM
12/30/20 08:18 PM
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
There are thousands of laws on the books that don't get enforced, no reason enforcement can't "overlook" this mistake until it's corrected.

On another note I hear Wisconsin is going to away with having to present animals in person that requires tags for a final sealing or CITES tag and instead simply mail out those tags.

That would be nice!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: Steven 49er] #7112797
12/30/20 08:30 PM
12/30/20 08:30 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Bobcat will still require an in person visit but otter and fisher should be going to mail next year. Progress.

The wardens should look the other way on buckshot, but they have been doing lots of education on this side of the state. I guess that gives them an excuse to ticket for it now.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112800
12/30/20 08:32 PM
12/30/20 08:32 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Justin, let me know when it's a for sure on the tagging. When you guys doing it I'm gonna ride as many as I can to get MN to follow. Aint happening though lol.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: WARNING WISCONSIN REGS CHANGED [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7112817
12/30/20 08:43 PM
12/30/20 08:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the warden I spoke to said they could do a lot of educating and giving warnings for buckshot.

I told him education is when they send out an email or put a whats changed document out that prints with you tags

education by warden is not education it is a failure of education .

they can market all sorts of things how about they start marketing the rules changes. they found a way to send me an email about the lake trout limit changing. yet never an email about the other changes

unless they had no intention of changing them and it is simply by omission if that is the case they could just admit that and fix it for next year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread