No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115525
01/01/21 02:42 PM
01/01/21 02:42 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
Interesting thread.

Nevada bound
Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115565
01/01/21 03:07 PM
01/01/21 03:07 PM
U.P. Michigan
Spade Offline OP
trapper
Spade  Offline OP
trapper

U.P. Michigan
Michigander: Don't know for sure, most trails up here are orv/snowmobile trails, I think 2 years ago, they opened up the snowmobiles trails to ORV, but you have to buy another sticker for your ORV for an extra $10.00 to run the designated trails. Kinda like some places you can run your ATV along the road, but other counties you can't, go figure.

Here's another example you can run a tracked vehicle on the beaches of Lake Superior, but you cannot run an ATV with tires. Who knows.

Last edited by Spade; 01/01/21 03:09 PM.

24 years Army Medical Corps

I only want to be known as:

A great husband, a good trapper, and a great steward of the land.
Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115571
01/01/21 03:15 PM
01/01/21 03:15 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
Ah interesting.

I'll be up your way in a couple weeks snowmobiling. Definetly have to watch out for the yahoos who keep the throttle pinned no matter what. My 600 ace is a perfect trapping and putzing around sled. 28 mpg and super quiet. Max speed is about 65.

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115641
01/01/21 04:24 PM
01/01/21 04:24 PM
U.P. Michigan
Spade Offline OP
trapper
Spade  Offline OP
trapper

U.P. Michigan
Had to read your thread a couple of times guess you were being sarcastic, gee and I was going to invite you for dinner while you were up here.

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115694
01/01/21 05:23 PM
01/01/21 05:23 PM
MN
G
gary j Offline
trapper
gary j  Offline
trapper
G

MN
Osky,
I have been stuck twice in 11 years. 1st time I was traveling about 2 mph thru a trail at my shack in Mar with about 40 or so inches of snow on the trail and had not been on the trail all winter. A deer, (a rarity for me because we have nothing but wolves) had lunged thru a few weeks before and because I was traveling so slow I got the frame hung on where the deer had packed it a little and the tracks just spun. I got off in belly deep snow and packed around the tracks a little, hooked my winch on a tree and pulled myself ahead a few feet. I then turned around and away I went. The 2nd time was again in the spring behind my son's house where nobody had been all winter. The snow was about 4 feet this time. He has a steep downhill slope and I started to drift to the side where I knew he had some tree stumps under the snow so I had to let up and consequently got stuck. We hooked the winch to some trees and winched the ATV away. I got turned around and had to make 3 or 4 runs up the hill to get back to his driveway. My initial cost in 2010 was $3500.00. This year I had to buy a $500.00 kit to adapt the tracks to the new machine. That included all new drive wheels because they are designed individually for each machine. I disagree with your statement that a RMK will go where tracks will struggle. A snowmobile can go thru deep snow only with lots of speed and power and you can not drive that way on the ATV trails I ride on because you will hit a tree. I sold my snowmobile because it was a heart attack waiting to happen.
Gary J Duluth

Re: ATV tracks [Re: gary j] #7115737
01/01/21 06:22 PM
01/01/21 06:22 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by gary j
Osky,
I have been stuck twice in 11 years. 1st time I was traveling about 2 mph thru a trail at my shack in Mar with about 40 or so inches of snow on the trail and had not been on the trail all winter. A deer, (a rarity for me because we have nothing but wolves) had lunged thru a few weeks before and because I was traveling so slow I got the frame hung on where the deer had packed it a little and the tracks just spun. I got off in belly deep snow and packed around the tracks a little, hooked my winch on a tree and pulled myself ahead a few feet. I then turned around and away I went. The 2nd time was again in the spring behind my son's house where nobody had been all winter. The snow was about 4 feet this time. He has a steep downhill slope and I started to drift to the side where I knew he had some tree stumps under the snow so I had to let up and consequently got stuck. We hooked the winch to some trees and winched the ATV away. I got turned around and had to make 3 or 4 runs up the hill to get back to his driveway. My initial cost in 2010 was $3500.00. This year I had to buy a $500.00 kit to adapt the tracks to the new machine. That included all new drive wheels because they are designed individually for each machine. I disagree with your statement that a RMK will go where tracks will struggle. A snowmobile can go thru deep snow only with lots of speed and power and you can not drive that way on the ATV trails I ride on because you will hit a tree. I sold my snowmobile because it was a heart attack waiting to happen.
Gary J Duluth

Hi Gary.
Too many variables to call out absolutes. If yours suits you terrific.
My RMK is better than 400 lbs lighter than my atv would be with tracks. My sled literally floats over snow. I have yet to be stuck wether I am zooming along or creeping it in to a calling location. We don’t have many crazy tall steep hills in this country but I’ve found a few and the sled climbs like a goat.
Last year we had incredibly deep snow on the ground and plenty of times my sled “sunk” while easing along or when I stopped. The machine never faltered climbing back out. Nothing special I did, the design of a hi tunnel for clearance and those incredible paddle tracks are fabulous. As far as groomed trails I feel the paddles there some, never thought about it much because as someone stated above people run crazy on those trails and I avoid them as much as I can.
I do have one concern as you do and that is stumps. Knowing Where I go it’s only a matter of time until a stump or frozen in dead head may have me strapping the snowshoes on and heading for the backup machine and siglin sled. Better yet maybe you’ll be tracking by and I can convince you to haul me home. All part of having fun no?
Happy new year Gary
Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115746
01/01/21 06:31 PM
01/01/21 06:31 PM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
I ran guided tours on them for four years. Wasnt a fan. On an atv with a short axle to axle length they are a bear to steer if you are doing any tight turning. And the speed is pretty low plowing through the snow. Honestly i would get a sled if i really wanted to pour money into a winter machine and it would open up lots on land. With the atvs we could get several miles out on tours. With sleds we could do 50 miles no problem in the same amount of time

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115796
01/01/21 07:13 PM
01/01/21 07:13 PM
U.P. Michigan
Spade Offline OP
trapper
Spade  Offline OP
trapper

U.P. Michigan
Thank you all for your input, about 50/50 for do or don't, time for more research before I pull the trigger, one way or another.

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115798
01/01/21 07:15 PM
01/01/21 07:15 PM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
[Linked Image]

I have had them on a ranger and currently a rhino. They will get you places you shouldn’t go. When you do get them stuck or have a break down they are a real bugger to recover.

I hunt cats in real drifty country with lots of rocky creek crossings. The tracks are ideal for that but slow as molasses with a little machine like mine and they take a lot of fuel. The 900 and 1000s will go fast but faster is also harder on moving parts. I bought a snowmobile for when I want to cover ground faster in better snow conditions.

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115841
01/01/21 07:40 PM
01/01/21 07:40 PM
MN
G
gary j Offline
trapper
gary j  Offline
trapper
G

MN
Osky,
Happy New Year to you too.
I also agree with D.T. and J. Brooks. I should mention I'm 73 and no way can I wrestle a sled out if it's stuck. I don't put long miles on, it's 1 mile to my cabin and I trap from there so I don't run a line of 30 miles or so for Marten, Fisher, and cats
If I was 20 years younger I would probably have a Tundra.
Gary J

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Seek] #7115872
01/01/21 07:54 PM
01/01/21 07:54 PM
Slaughter Slough, MN
Dead Coyote Offline
trapper
Dead Coyote  Offline
trapper

Slaughter Slough, MN
Originally Posted by Seek
Dead Coyote,

What brand of tracks are those? How do they do in deep snow? Thank you.

[quote=Seek]Dead Coyote,

CamSo Tracks and are great in deep snow.

Live everyday like it is the last day of your life!
MJPPTA 1%
Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7115877
01/01/21 07:57 PM
01/01/21 07:57 PM
Slaughter Slough, MN
Dead Coyote Offline
trapper
Dead Coyote  Offline
trapper

Slaughter Slough, MN
Originally Posted by Spade
Dead Coyote: How much extra clearance did you get changing over to tracks? What brand name did you buy? How did it effect your steering? I have power steering on my ATV. Did you ever bury it, or get hung up? By the way nice looking outfit..even if you didn't have the hood ornaments.

Gained about 6” clearance. CamSo tracks. No problem steering with power steering.

Got hung up once on hard drift with soft snow front and back. Shoveled for 1/2 hour to get it out.

Live everyday like it is the last day of your life!
MJPPTA 1%
Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7116225
01/01/21 10:56 PM
01/01/21 10:56 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
Originally Posted by Spade
Had to read your thread a couple of times guess you were being sarcastic, gee and I was going to invite you for dinner while you were up here.

I wasn't being sarcastic, just bad with words I suppose. Sorry if I came off that way just trying to help. I know what its like having traps out up there and not having a working snowmobile to check them. Lots of walking in deep snow is no fun!

Re: ATV tracks [Re: Spade] #7116678
01/02/21 11:02 AM
01/02/21 11:02 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
If I had money like that, I'd buy a nice used longtrack sled

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com