No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121148
01/05/21 03:12 AM
01/05/21 03:12 AM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
Now I have nothing against models. I use them every day. But often the data inserted into the model is poor to awful to complete WAG. And when the model spits out the number, well, its only as good as the data that goes in. And then you gotta apply some critical thinking skills and seriously ask does this make sense? Most of the kids I deal with never ask any questions about the numbers the model spits out. I've seen deer models built that were predicting extinction in the current year with no hunting harvest yet the same kid does the flying survey and classifies well over 2000 deer in an afternoon and have no answer or thought about how the model might be wrong??

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121334
01/05/21 09:37 AM
01/05/21 09:37 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
From personal experience I have dealt with MN’s head of the bear department in particular as have other members here. If he has his way the hunt will end. He has become anti bear hunting and the changes in his outputs show it. I’ll have no more discussions with that department nor share info. I’ll not be made a fool of.
His mindset spreads, if the premier game animal in the state is off limits, the rest will fall easily. Once the DNR finds a conciliatory money source for deer hunting and fishing those too will go.

It wasn’t what 6 months ago an impartial commission was put together to study the future of the delisted wolves in MN. Many of us here who saw the list of participants foresaw this exact outcome. At a time when the DNR is crying for money and continually raising fees across the board it wasted resources on this dog and pony show. Again, I’ll not be made a fool of anymore.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121356
01/05/21 09:53 AM
01/05/21 09:53 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
I only deal with the Wardens now. When The need arises, or we meet in the woods.

I used to have Great contacts, but those have aged and retired.

A Forrester who was mad because he was told to fork out a plugged culvert, told me "the Dept". Exists to make Timber $ , not to help us sportsmen or animals.

I dont know but he was mad that Day ... Said he went to school to work with live trees, not dead ones from beaver.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121492
01/05/21 11:42 AM
01/05/21 11:42 AM
Twin Cities, MN
N
Nate L Offline
trapper
Nate L  Offline
trapper
N

Twin Cities, MN

Let me start off by saying that I am not in favor of eradicating wolves but I do think that they need to be managed, like any resource. I think that the biggest issue is that most of the people involved in the decision and in forming public opinion on the matter have never seen a wolf track in the wild, let alone a wolf. They only know what they feel in their heart about what makes them feel good, not what the science says or what the numbers say.

My personal belief is that the only way the opinion of those in the metro will change (and that will force the DNR's hand) is for them to experience wolves first hand. They want wolves restored to their entire historic and I think that we should start with a reintroduction plan to get them back into the regional parks in the 7 county metro area.

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121511
01/05/21 12:03 PM
01/05/21 12:03 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
They will get there, if there's food

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121548
01/05/21 12:36 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
If I read it correctly, wolves can be shot on sight in zone B if they are on your property? No imminent threat required.

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121549
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Until we have a governor with a real brain we will not be able to manage our wolves.

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: Osky] #7121654
01/05/21 02:04 PM
01/05/21 02:04 PM
MN
T
trapperinfo Offline
trapper
trapperinfo  Offline
trapper
T

MN
Originally Posted by Osky
From personal experience I have dealt with MN’s head of the bear department in particular as have other members here. If he has his way the hunt will end. He has become anti bear hunting and the changes in his outputs show it. I’ll have no more discussions with that department nor share info. I’ll not be made a fool of.
His mindset spreads, if the premier game animal in the state is off limits, the rest will fall easily. Once the DNR finds a conciliatory money source for deer hunting and fishing those too will go.

It wasn’t what 6 months ago an impartial commission was put together to study the future of the delisted wolves in MN. Many of us here who saw the list of participants foresaw this exact outcome. At a time when the DNR is crying for money and continually raising fees across the board it wasted resources on this dog and pony show. Again, I’ll not be made a fool of anymore.

Osky

Friend's in Northern, Minnesota had the worst hunting season they've had in 50 years and he said wolves and black bear decimated the whitetail population. He said the bears were a lot of it.

Very interesting. No bear season doesn't bode well for whitetails.

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: trapperinfo] #7121660
01/05/21 02:08 PM
01/05/21 02:08 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by trapperinfo

Osky

Friend's in Northern, Minnesota had the worst hunting season they've had in 50 years and he said wolves and black bear decimated the whitetail population. He said the bears were a lot of it.

The wolves are killing more and more bears too.

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: BernieB.] #7121719
01/05/21 02:58 PM
01/05/21 02:58 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Until we have a governor with a real brain we will not be able to manage our wolves.

And an impartial DNR head, with a Real Hunting background.

Seems impossible...as positions are being filled with degrees over all else.

Even Science takes a back seat

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: tlguy] #7121747
01/05/21 03:26 PM
01/05/21 03:26 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by tlguy
Ha 2,700 wolves! Good one.

Exactly! Over 20 years ago, I attended a DNR meeting where they estimated there were around 3500 wolves in MN. The wolves have gone practically undisturbed since and they say there are only 2700 now??? This is an insult to the average person's intelligence.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: trapperinfo] #7121797
01/05/21 04:13 PM
01/05/21 04:13 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by trapperinfo

Osky

I do not know if Bucksnbears has told his story here about what he saw this spring pertaining to bears hunting fawns but if you ask him to I’m sure he will. A terrific happening that he witnessed up close and personal.
Bucks??

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121836
01/05/21 04:59 PM
01/05/21 04:59 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Part of our problem in Minnesota is our Lt governor Flanigan. She's part Chippewa and they believe wolves are relatives. And since gov Walz couldnt care less about hunting or trapping, he's likely to honor her beliefs and do what he can to not have a wolf season any time soon. And since he's a liberal, emotions come before science on outdoor issues. Our DNR has become an absolute joke. To say we only have 2500 wolves is an insult to intelligence. They said we had that many back in the mid 90's, and anybody that spends any time in the outdoors knows there are FAR more wolves now than back than 25 years ago and its not even close.

Last edited by goldy; 01/05/21 05:02 PM.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121838
01/05/21 05:02 PM
01/05/21 05:02 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
All around Sad deal

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7121862
01/05/21 05:31 PM
01/05/21 05:31 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Let’s not forget Bobcats. I think those spindly little fawns are hi on the feline menu in the spring.

We have been told there are x amount of wolves in the state that MUST not be molested in any way because they are barely hanging on by their canines. Somehow in all that scarcity and endangerment they’ve spread across this state, into dakotas, and Iowa. Wisconsin as well. Who’s been in charge of counting the population, the Dominion outfit?
This decision was the cowards way out. Rather than have trappers and hunters help out in the B areas they put forth their goofy rules for landowners, and then confiscate the hide. To prevent a “hunting” misperception.
They need controlling period. Not extermination, control. Call it what it is.
This sacred crap. Native males had all kinds of clicks within the village. They named them after animals. Over time certain animal named clicks We’re in charge of certain duty’s of daily lives. Some were the guards of the village, some were in charge of finding game, some were in charge of the moving of the village etc. Groups generally had some sort of totems or artifacts related to the animal. It’s as simple as that. Worship them maybe, but don’t think for a minute they wouldn’t kill them.
Look at the old pictures from the 1800’s and authentic sketches and paintings. Read the journals. Indians wore whatever fur they could harvest.
Osky

Last edited by Osky; 01/05/21 05:33 PM.

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: Osky] #7122251
01/05/21 09:10 PM
01/05/21 09:10 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely

Osky

Mind boggling we had a perfectly good management plan in placed, developed under a Democrat governor no less. This nitwit decides we need another, only one reason why. Is it wrong of me to want Dayton back? lol.

Osky, is it time to move yet?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7122270
01/05/21 09:17 PM
01/05/21 09:17 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Almost time to move!

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7122291
01/05/21 09:23 PM
01/05/21 09:23 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I'm heading to SD as soon as I can make it work. The people running this state are so far removed from reality, I can't believe it.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: 330-Trapper] #7122308
01/05/21 09:27 PM
01/05/21 09:27 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Keck, didn't you come from there?

Re: Minnesota dosent have it figured out [Re: Rat Masterson] #7122333
01/05/21 09:35 PM
01/05/21 09:35 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Keck, didn't you come from there?

Close, I came from Nebraska. My retirement stop is SD, however.

"The voice of reason!"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread