No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: scalloper] #7122065
01/05/21 07:43 PM
01/05/21 07:43 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by scalloper
Originally Posted by Posco
I just left a local taxidermist and his guys were fleshing a 565#er. I don't know if that was on the paw or dressed. That's a good size black bear.

I follow bear hunting quite close in Maine but its easy to miss one. Seems like we would have herd about this one before now. I wonder if a Maine hunter went to PA or NC.

I can think of three bear taken within fifteen miles of me this fall that went over five hundred pounds. Big bear but not extraordinary.

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: Posco] #7122072
01/05/21 07:46 PM
01/05/21 07:46 PM
Downeast Maine
scalloper Offline
trapper
scalloper  Offline
trapper

Downeast Maine
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

2012 I killed one in Maine that went 556 @ the check station.15+ years old & about 20.75"

Our hunters killed several more that probably went over 500 but the were brought out in pieces. Dog hunts. Several 500-600 pounders are killed in Northern Maine every year.

Same dogs back about 5 or 8 years ago put three in the truck one day that weighed over 2000 pounds. They were killed in NC.

I didn't want to be argumentative. I get bear on my scouting cameras right near my cabin which is fairly adjacent to town that would go 400 and 500 pounds every year. The perception some people have is Maine doesn't grow large bear but that's not true at all. What brings down the average size of the bears being shot is first time bear hunters shooting the first one they see. The vast majority of the bear shot here are under three years old. The oldest I've taken was seventeen years old.

Largest I trapped bottomed the scales out at 460 lb. Bios est him to be 24-26 years old. Teeth was worn down to the gum line. I still have the skull. He had 9 buckshot and a broodhead in his shoulder and loin. In recent years I cant hardly get a picture of a 300 lber.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122077
01/05/21 07:48 PM
01/05/21 07:48 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I know of 4- 400 pound plus bear taken around here the last 3 years where I live.

Nevada bound
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122082
01/05/21 07:55 PM
01/05/21 07:55 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I'll post some pics and video of four hundred plus pound bears tomorrow. Just heading into work. These bear were weaned on baits, that's why they're rarely seen on baits other than at night.

Last edited by Posco; 01/05/21 07:55 PM.
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122108
01/05/21 08:05 PM
01/05/21 08:05 PM
PA
G
GotFur3 Offline
trapper
GotFur3  Offline
trapper
G

PA
PA has some good bears weight wise. Seven harvested legally over 800 pounds since 1992.

[Linked Image]

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: GotFur3] #7122111
01/05/21 08:07 PM
01/05/21 08:07 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by GotFur3
PA has some good bears weight wise. Seven harvested legally over 800 pounds since 1992.

[Linked Image]

Amazing!!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122114
01/05/21 08:08 PM
01/05/21 08:08 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
North Carolina has some big pig of bears as well.

Nevada bound
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122130
01/05/21 08:13 PM
01/05/21 08:13 PM
Sugar Grove, WV
J
JTfromWV Offline
trapper
JTfromWV  Offline
trapper
J

Sugar Grove, WV
A friend and I were hunting northern Maine near BruceT's in 2008 when we saw a 600 pound bear at the check station. We both looked at each other and said " maybe we should have brought a bigger gun"

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: JTfromWV] #7122139
01/05/21 08:16 PM
01/05/21 08:16 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by JTfromWV
A friend and I were hunting northern Maine near BruceT's in 2008 when we saw a 600 pound bear at the check station. We both looked at each other and said " maybe we should have brought a bigger gun"

Wow

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122141
01/05/21 08:17 PM
01/05/21 08:17 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Must have been the one came out of 1,000 acre bog.

Nevada bound
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122146
01/05/21 08:20 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
One went over 500 pounds a couple years ago they shot right behind my place on the ground with hounds.

Nevada bound
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: GotFur3] #7122147
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
Originally Posted by GotFur3

[Linked Image]

Theyre big, and theyre increasing in numbers and establishing themselves in every county
in the state. I wouldnt be surprised if PA starts to allow bear baiting in the not-so-distant
future the way things have been going.

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122156
01/05/21 08:25 PM
01/05/21 08:25 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
From 2012 newspaper:

A 28-year-old Iraq War vet set a state record on his first ever bear hunt--with the first bear that walked by. U.S. Army Capt. Matt Knox, a North Carolina native stationed at Fort Meade, Maryland, made good on a promise to his guides, Steve Monroe and Jim Webber of Grand Slam Guide Service. "I told them I was going to shoot the first bear I saw, as long as it wasn't a cub or a sow with cubs," Knox said after downing the 699-pound black bear near Greenville, Maine, on Sept. 7. "Fortunately, this was the first bear I saw." The big bruin topped the old record by 19 pounds, almost 19 years to the day after it was set.

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: Posco] #7122163
01/05/21 08:27 PM
01/05/21 08:27 PM
Downeast Maine
scalloper Offline
trapper
scalloper  Offline
trapper

Downeast Maine
I'll post some pics and video of four hundred plus pound bears tomorrow. Just heading into work. These bear were weaned on baits, that's why they're rarely seen on baits other than at night.

I think it was 2006 me and 3 of my sons set only 4 traps (law was 2 ea at the time) next morning we had three bears that dressed 337, 340, and 347 all within 1/2 mile and two were only 25 yds apart. Youngest son was 11 he had to swallow his mints to walk in and dispatch. Two demolished everything they could reach. I have some pictures if I could figure out how to post them.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122169
01/05/21 08:28 PM
01/05/21 08:28 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
A lot of PA's big bears come from the Pocono region where they are well fed and fairly protected to allow them to grow to those extraordinary weights.
I think the big one that weighed 875 lbs was named Bobo, or Bozo by the locals. It would come in and eat donuts right out of a guys hands. There was a TON of controversy when it was killed.

When I worked for the PGC on the elk program we would occasionally get called to do bear ear tag processing. The largest one I ever saw pulled from a culvert trap was around 450 lbs. There was no mistaking it was a big bear. We pulled a few out that were around the 150 mark and you wouldn't even think they'd hit 100 lbs let alone 150.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: ebsurveyor] #7122175
01/05/21 08:30 PM
01/05/21 08:30 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
From 2012 newspaper:

A 28-year-old Iraq War vet set a state record on his first ever bear hunt--with the first bear that walked by. U.S. Army Capt. Matt Knox, a North Carolina native stationed at Fort Meade, Maryland, made good on a promise to his guides, Steve Monroe and Jim Webber of Grand Slam Guide Service. "I told them I was going to shoot the first bear I saw, as long as it wasn't a cub or a sow with cubs," Knox said after downing the 699-pound black bear near Greenville, Maine, on Sept. 7. "Fortunately, this was the first bear I saw." The big bruin topped the old record by 19 pounds, almost 19 years to the day after it was set.

Did not know about that one unless that's the one the biologists had been following for years and had named it.

Nevada bound
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: scalloper] #7122202
01/05/21 08:39 PM
01/05/21 08:39 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I will watch the video later. WI leads by far but does not have a lot of them in the biggest sizes, but if you are looking for a record bear WI gives one good odds. Interesting too that many of the record bear are coming from our mostly wooded counties and not in the crop areas. That may change as the bear range expands. Those bear can grow big in the big woods, eating berries, grubs, fawns, beaver and garbage dumps. When one thinks about how many tons of high calorie bait are put out each year that sure helps increases bear size also. I am guessing that the percentage of bears hitting baits that are harvested is pretty low.

Bryce

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122229
01/05/21 08:57 PM
01/05/21 08:57 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Menu
Skip to content
ADVERTISEMENT

HUNTING
Maine State Record Black Bear: U.S. Veteran Tags 699-Pound Bruin on His First Hunt
By Steven Hill
September 18, 2012

Knox, who lives in Waynesboro, Pa., served in Iraq and Kuwait with the Army signal corps. Injured in a training accident, he is now awaiting discharge. He booked the weeklong bear hunt at the urging of Steve Monroe's son, Zachary Monroe. After four uneventful days, he admits, his optimism was beginning to wane. "On Monday there was a 15-year-old kid who'd seen seven bears in one day, so we were all pretty pumped," Knox says. "By Thursday, when I hadn't seen anything, I started to get down. The bait sites were hit, but the bears were coming at night. I was afraid I wasn't going to see anything."

Guide Steve Monroe knew he had Knox on a good bear; it was just a matter of getting the timing right. "We caught a big bear on camera the first week of baiting," Monroe says, "but he was coming in at one or two o'clock in the morning, like most big bears do." The Maine season for hunting with bait runs Aug. 27 through Sept. 22, but hunters were allowed to begin placing bait on July 28. "We knew he was big--maybe 600 pounds--but we didn't know how big. I kept on working the bear with baits, trying to change him up so we could get him coming in during legal hunting time."

Monroe uses a couple of secret scents he mixes himself and dips into a trick bag of tactics to "work" a bear into making daylight raids on a bait pile. "A lot of it is trying to convince the bear there's competition on the bait," Monroe says. "Because if he's got competition, he's got a tendency to visit more. He doesn't want another bear in the area; he going to try to push him off."

"Bears are also a little curious, so you play to that curiosity, too," by changing baits from site to site and day to day, the guide says. If you want to know more than that, you'll have to book a hunt: "All my sports see what I do," Monroe laughs. Two of his go-to baits, though, are no secret: Donuts and grease.

Read More

It took about three weeks before Monroe finally got the bear to visit the bait site during shooting hours. But while Knox was sitting in a nearby tree stand during the first week of September, the big bruin was a no-show. "Toward the end of the week, other hunters were seeing bears and he wasn't," Monroe recalls. "I explained to him, 'You're sitting on a very big bear and they're tougher to get out.' I coached him a little bit to perk him up. To his credit, he paid good attention to everything I told him and didn't do anything foolish."

It helped that Monroe had about 300 trail cam shots of the bear to show to Knox. "I could tell he was big from the photos," Knox says, "because he pretty much dwarfed a 55-gallon drum."

On Friday, Sept. 7, Knox was nearing the end of another fruitless sit. "There was about 15 minutes of shooting light left, and I was pretty much waiting for the truck to pick me up. I knew Saturday was our last day. Then I heard movement behind me, and it didn't sound like anything I'd heard all week." Says Monroe, "These bears, their awareness of the woods is so unique and they are so quiet, they just show up and you wonder, 'How did they do that?' But this bear was so big Matt could hear him coming."

Knox said the bear circled from right to left, burst into the clearing and headed straight for the barrel. "He gave me a perfect broadside shot. There was no waiting for him to turn. From the time I first saw him to the time I shot was maybe 10 seconds."

Knox was shooting a Marlin 1895 .45-70 Guide Gun. At 20 yards, it was a chip shot. "I sat a minute or two, trying to get my breath back, try to slow my heart rate. I heard him fall and take a couple of deep breaths. I heard two moans. Then two more deep breaths."

Monroe gives his hunters a radio and instructs them to call him from the stand when they think they have a bear down. Then he asks them to stay in the stand until he arrives. For 25 minutes, Knox was left alone with his thoughts while he waited for Monroe, left, and Jim Webber, right, to arrive. "I put my flashlight on him and he was just shaking, from all the adrenaline rush," Monroe recalls. Knox remembers that it took the guide only a minute to pick up the blood trail. "He had his big Smith & Wesson 500 ready, just in case. When he found the bear he started hollering for joy, because it was a big one."

"He looked pretty big from my tree," Knox says. "But when I walked up to him, I don't think I'd ever seen anything that big in the woods before. My first thought was, 'How are we going to get him out of here?' That was answered later: 'Through a lot of pain.'"

After an epic recovery that took eight people and a chainsaw winch to drag the bear out, they packed the carcass on ice overnight to preserve the meat. The next morning they went to Indian Hill Trading Post to tag and weigh the kill.

"All of the guys in camp had their guesses on the weight," says Knox, who was joined on his trip by Zach Monroe, left, Noah Weiland, right, and Richard Weiland, kneeling. Most of the estimates ranged from 550 to 580 pounds. "I thought it might make 600," Knox says, "but not much more."

When the scale hit 705, the 15 or 20 people who'd gathered to witness the weigh-in cheered. "I was elated," Knox says. "They'd told me the night before the record was 680. I thought, 'Wow, I just shot the biggest bear ever in Maine. On my first bear hunt. On the first bear I saw.'" Even Monroe was surprised. "We knew we had a big bear," he says. "We knew we'd make it into the record book, but we had no idea that we'd actually break the record."

Steve Monroe puts the bear's size in perspective. "The average Maine bear is probably 140 pounds, maybe 170 pounds for a boar. When we shoot 200- and 250-pound bears, that's a very good trophy bear. So a 699 pound bear is pretty impressive." The bear's skull will top 23 inches as measured by Boone & Crockett. Nose to tail it stretched 82 inches, and its girth also measured 82 inches, making him as big around as he is long. The bear's head circumference was 35 inches, his neck was 38 inches around and his bicep was 23 inches. "The taxidermist has to get a grizzly form to do the full-body mount, because they don't even make a black bear form big enough," Monroe says.

Because the first scale was not certified, Knox and his guides found a second, certified scale to record an official weight. With a game warden from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife witnessing, the scales wobbled between 699 and 700 before settling on 699. "A 700-pound bear might be easier to say, but I'm not going to worry about a pound," Knox jokes. "At least not until somebody else goes and shoots a 700-pound bear."

"There's probably a lot of hunters out there feeling a little cheated because they've been hunting 25 years and never saw a bear that big," Knox says. "But there's people who will be happy, because they'll say, 'Wow, that's a big bear. I might get one too.'"

Steve Monroe will have no truck with any talk of beginner's luck. "Matt has some injuries that made it tough for him to sit on stand, but he toughed it out and did and excellent job," Monroe says. "The record is great. It's something I can take to my grave, and he'll be around a lot longer than that to share it with his grandchildren. But seeing that young man, with what he's done for us, serving his country, to come up here and do something like this--it's just awesome. I get chills when I think about it."
Hunter and Army Captain, Matt Knox, spent four uneventful days in the woods on his first ever bear hunt. Finally, a monstrous black bear walked by and he tagged it. Little did he know a little beginner's luck, and some good shooting, would yield a new state-record, 699-pound bear in Maine. Click through to see photos of the monster bruin and to read Knox's story.

Fairfield, Maine:

Nevada bound
Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: BernieB.] #7122301
01/05/21 09:25 PM
01/05/21 09:25 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
I've posted this pic before. I saw this bear in a wheat field just north of Washington, NC. I have no idea what it would weigh, but it looked awfully big.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Where the biggest bears are [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7122313
01/05/21 09:28 PM
01/05/21 09:28 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I've posted this pic before. I saw this bear in a wheat field just north of Washington, NC. I have no idea what it would weigh, but it looked awfully big.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Its a Shooter for sure!!!

NRA and NTA Life Member

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread