No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now #7122457
01/05/21 10:31 PM
01/05/21 10:31 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline OP
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline OP
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Are you curious about the history of your family? If you are,ask your questions now before your family members start leaving this world.
As my wife and I head for the finality of our time on earth,there are so may questions we wish we had asked our parents,grand parents,and other family members.
If there are things you want or need to know,seek the answers while you can.Don't wait,do it now.
Family history is so important,and will become more so,the older you get.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122460
01/05/21 10:32 PM
01/05/21 10:32 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Great advice. God Bless to you and yours.

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122493
01/05/21 10:48 PM
01/05/21 10:48 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
I know what you are saying ! My Grand Parents on my Father's side of the Family ; were born in the late 1800's They were born at a time, when they were old enough to remember the late 1800's ; and the turn of the 20th Century. The History they witnessed, we today, can only read about in History books. But, they were actually there . Oh, how I wished i would have asked them the questions about the past, that I only later in life thought of asking . My Grand Father , in researching my Family History, I learned that he served in World War 1 . They took him at the age of 30 years old. I still remember the American Flag that he flew every day at his House.

How I wish I could have those years back again...

Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122502
01/05/21 10:52 PM
01/05/21 10:52 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Tom, We went through and did my mom's side about 30 years ago and got a ton of info. Thankfully they were very good at keeping records on places, dates, and circumstances.

My dads side we know nothing about other than my great grandfather fought in the civil war. My grandfather was very quiet about the family history, My grandmother died when my dad was only 4 or 5 years old. We actually uncovered info after my grandfather passed that he was born a year earlier than he had told us. So when he died he was actually 100 years old. The only other thing I could uncover was that my grandfather was quite the wooer. It is estimated that other than the 10 legitimate children he had, that he also fathered close to 25 illegitimate children. My dad is the youngest. I remember my dad's oldest sibling telling us stories about how g-dad would get paid on Friday, leave work with his paycheck and not show up at home until Monday evening looking worn out. My G-ma would then proceed to beat the heck out of him because he had no money left. He said one time she hit him with a skillet and knocked him out. He didn't come to for 3 days. They thought she had killed him. She was actually packing to leave the state when he came to. So in reality all we know about that side of the family goes back to about 1840, and that's with only one person. No record on where we are from, how we came here, or any circumstances on why. We have a fairly strong Germanic surname, but there is a lot of speculation it was changed, or misspelled when our relatives arrived here.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122505
01/05/21 10:54 PM
01/05/21 10:54 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Great advice...sometimes hard to start conversations

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122568
01/05/21 11:23 PM
01/05/21 11:23 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
My wife bought a book “ I’m dead now what?” That lists family tree and other end of life info that could be lost.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122596
01/05/21 11:38 PM
01/05/21 11:38 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline OP
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline OP
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
I have found out some things ,but wished I had asked more questions.
My mothers family came to the U.S. in 1646. My great great grandmothers obituary was the front page of the St.Paul paper in 1919--told of how her and my great great grandfather lived on venison and johnny cake for 10 years in the 1850s and 60s.My great gramdmother died working in the field.
My great uncle Oscar was gassed in world War 1 and lived,he was later gored by one of his bulls and lived.He finally succumbed to cancer in 1957 when I was 6.His was the first funeral I attended.
My fathers family came from Sweden in 1900 and lived in Nebraska. In 1901 they moved to the Hinckley ,Mn. area and started farming.that farm is still owned by my second cousin.
My father enterd the air force after graduation ,during World War 2. He was a gunner on one of the bombers and was captured by The Germans when his plane was hit.
He spent 9 months in a German prison camp,they had meat to eat only once,the day after a guard dog had been killed.
The more you learn--the more questions you wish you had asked.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122609
01/05/21 11:45 PM
01/05/21 11:45 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Absolutely! Even though my line has a strong oral tradition of father to son telling of the history I still regret not putting a tape recorder in front of my granny that summer she rode us all over the county visiting cemeteries and old home sites. That and documentation, where are the deed filings, census and marriage and birth records

[Linked Image]
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122612
01/05/21 11:47 PM
01/05/21 11:47 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
And add a grain of salt, there's two or three sides to every story.

[Linked Image]
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122615
01/05/21 11:48 PM
01/05/21 11:48 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Thats some Interesting tuff history

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122646
01/06/21 12:17 AM
01/06/21 12:17 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
My family history is wrote in a book about our family the bandy's i think they are 5 books. The Bandy family if I remember correctly is the largest single name family registry in the world. My family is in book 5 chapter 2 starting in the late 1600. Eight generations back from Liverpool England on G dad's side and Ireland on G mothers side that's as far as I've read. We are listed as Bandy is the registry of one name guilds i think that's how it is bandy.co.uk is the link. I came across all this information one day about 100 miles from my home looking for some new ground to fox squirrel hunt and just happened upon a distance family member i didn't know. Yes you never know where life will take up and never be afraid to ask a question.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122653
01/06/21 12:21 AM
01/06/21 12:21 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I know what your saying. After my dad passed my uncle told me things I had wondered about for years. I was supposed to go have dinner with him at his house but never got around to it. he was going to tell me a lot more about how my grandpa was killed and what happened to my grandmas farm. Along with alot of other happenings and about some of the folks I knew but never really knew much about.

Sadly he passed before I ever took the time to make that dinner. I have kicked myself many times over it.

My moms side I have a cousin who did a very extensive search and found out a lot about that side of the family. Learned I am related to many famous folks really. Some famous for being good folks, some not so much. LOL

Even have a movie that was made about part of my family. Sons of Katie Elder. The story of how and why that movie was made and why John Wayne was in it is a story in itself.

Re: WARNING--Ask Those Family Questions-Now [Re: Bogmaster] #7122663
01/06/21 12:35 AM
01/06/21 12:35 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Luckily for my my aunt, on my dads side, has researched their family tree going aaaaalll the way back to an ancestor that came over on the mayflower, and even further. Very interesting stuff. My great grandma was ADAMANT when she was alive that my aunt quit her digging, because she was not gonna like what she dug up. We aren’t sure what it was exactly that great grandma didn’t want us to know, but she was originally from the Deep South and would be about 110 years old today, so it was either the fact that great great great grandad was a drunk, meaner than a rattler murderer, OR that there are native Americans and black people in our bloodline way back. She never did say but we assume it’s one of those. She may have been racist. Those are the only two things that she found that we thought might be upsetting to great grandma.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread