No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: WyFurHarvesters] #7124930
01/07/21 08:51 AM
01/07/21 08:51 AM
northern michigan
S
sjc Offline
trapper
sjc  Offline
trapper
S

northern michigan
Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
Cant believe guys are trapping for that kind of money??

I can catch over 100 rats in a day and put one up in a couple minutes. For me, even with these depressed prices, rats are still the best paying fur out there...

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: nimzy] #7124949
01/07/21 09:06 AM
01/07/21 09:06 AM
s.e. minnesota
H
Hornytoad1 Offline
trapper
Hornytoad1  Offline
trapper
H

s.e. minnesota
Originally Posted by nimzy
Stack better? In the baler? Muskrats are all about size. Quality is only a bonus for the middleman.

I'm just telling what I was told. I'm response was what do I care about how they stack.

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: newtoga] #7125102
01/07/21 10:46 AM
01/07/21 10:46 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by newtoga
Coons stretched on wood shrink more than coons on wire also.

Really?

It seems to me that when a coon dries It shrinks and If It's On wire It will collapse the wire as It shrinks. When using wood that Isn't going to happen. You will also loose length as a coon or a rat dries on wire, those toothed hide holders aren't ever going to hold that hide In position. And clothes pins won't hold those rats skirts In postilion either.

When buyer measures a rat or a coon they measure to the shortest part of the hide. And with wood you can square off that skirt so you get a longer measurement. There Is NO way you can square off the skirt on rats or coon when unseeing wire.

And as to stacking that's a bunch of bull pucky. My boards aren't much thicker then a wire form, In fact some of my wood forms have the edges milled down to a pretty sharp edge.
Pin holes have to be removed give me a break. What about the damage done by those toothed arms on your wire forms.

The bottom line Is you can't make a rat hide any bigger then It Is but you can display that hide to your benefit as a seller. The end user Is still getting every square Inch of fur on that rat. It's the buyer that If he's fair and buying buy the length Is paying more then He wants to. The buyer wants to measure your rats or coon to the shortest part of the hide and that's why he doesn't like wood.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: sjc] #7125108
01/07/21 10:50 AM
01/07/21 10:50 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Online mad
trapper
Northof50  Online Mad
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by sjc

I can catch over 100 rats in a day and put one up in a couple minutes. For me, even with these depressed prices, rats are still the best paying fur out there...

WyFurSlacker you abviously did not watch the clip and hear the quoted prices. Seems to me they have doubled from last year prices.

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #7125212
01/07/21 12:27 PM
01/07/21 12:27 PM
iowa
bankrunner Offline
trapper
bankrunner  Offline
trapper

iowa

WyFurSlacker you abviously did not watch the clip and hear the quoted prices. Seems to me they have doubled from last year prices.
[/quote]

Until you throw your fur through the window. Then it is 1@ $6, 3@ $5, 27@ $4, 45@ $2.50 and 75@ $1. Forgot the 10 at no value.

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #7125292
01/07/21 01:08 PM
01/07/21 01:08 PM
Ohio, Old fart to some.
ack Offline
trapper
ack  Offline
trapper

Ohio, Old fart to some.
Not sure how often it happens but I have heard that some rats that are dried on the thicker wood stretchers will crack along the edge when compressed into the bales.

With that said I do put some up on boards made from thin paneling. They are the same thickness as wire stretched.

_________

I used to have superpowers… but a therapist took them away.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: bankrunner] #7125300
01/07/21 01:13 PM
01/07/21 01:13 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by bankrunner

Until you throw your fur through the window. Then it is 1@ $6, 3@ $5, 27@ $4, 45@ $2.50 and 75@ $1. Forgot the 10 at no value.[/quote]

You nailed It

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: Hornytoad1] #7125303
01/07/21 01:15 PM
01/07/21 01:15 PM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by Hornytoad1
Originally Posted by nimzy
Stack better? In the baler? Muskrats are all about size. Quality is only a bonus for the middleman.

I'm just telling what I was told. I'm response was what do I care about how they stack.

Gary told me the same thing.

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: Hornytoad1] #7125391
01/07/21 02:21 PM
01/07/21 02:21 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
When I sold to Groenewold in November (Guy was buyer) I was told to use wire. The reason he told me was because they stack better. All this did was P__ me off because years age I used wire and Groenewold was the one who convinced me to use wood. I made my mind up instantly that I'm done with them. If the pin holes are an issue then what about the teats on females. Not much difference there.

LOL Doubt they will miss your business as much as you will miss sitting on the fur you can't sell.. If you don't want to use wire use wood. BUt I never saw the need for wood. I'm not good at it but I can stretch 10 rat to 1 on wire VS wood. Coon 15-1. Plus don't have to keep up with push pins laying all over. Mink I use a board , but at 4 bucks apiece I say let them breed.

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: jbyrd63] #7125454
01/07/21 03:04 PM
01/07/21 03:04 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
There are several places right now that will match and exceed the prices they are paying. Sure they may not miss my several hundred rats but I don't have to do business with them if I don't care to.

Bryce

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: WyFurHarvesters] #7125493
01/07/21 03:30 PM
01/07/21 03:30 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY

I'll always trap some. Not going at it whole hog but enough to enjoy myself. Trapping for me definitely isn't all about the money. It's part of who I am.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: WyFurHarvesters] #7125615
01/07/21 05:01 PM
01/07/21 05:01 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.

Those who truly enjoy trapping, trap.

Those who are in it only for the $$$, make excuses.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: The Beav] #7125621
01/07/21 05:06 PM
01/07/21 05:06 PM
northern michigan
S
sjc Offline
trapper
sjc  Offline
trapper
S

northern michigan
Originally Posted by The Beav

Really?

It seems to me that when a coon dries It shrinks and If It's On wire It will collapse the wire as It shrinks. When using wood that Isn't going to happen. You will also loose length as a coon or a rat dries on wire, those toothed hide holders aren't ever going to hold that hide In position. And clothes pins won't hold those rats skirts In postilion either.

When buyer measures a rat or a coon they measure to the shortest part of the hide. And with wood you can square off that skirt so you get a longer measurement. There Is NO way you can square off the skirt on rats or coon when unseeing wire.

And as to stacking that's a bunch of bull pucky. My boards aren't much thicker then a wire form, In fact some of my wood forms have the edges milled down to a pretty sharp edge.
Pin holes have to be removed give me a break. What about the damage done by those toothed arms on your wire forms.

The bottom line Is you can't make a rat hide any bigger then It Is but you can display that hide to your benefit as a seller. The end user Is still getting every square Inch of fur on that rat. It's the buyer that If he's fair and buying buy the length Is paying more then He wants to. The buyer wants to measure your rats or coon to the shortest part of the hide and that's why he doesn't like wood.

I think you are probably correct. I had sold thousands of rats stretched on wire and had never had a top lot rat. I always better than the auction average, but no top lots. Back when rats were expensive and the top lots went for insane money at auction, I put up some of my best rats on some stretchers I've had for years that someone made out of paneling. I had top lot rats on all of the next few sales after I started doing this. I have often wondered how much more I could make stretching on wood, but I'm lazy and still stretch most of my rats on wire.

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: walleyed] #7125630
01/07/21 05:14 PM
01/07/21 05:14 PM
northern michigan
S
sjc Offline
trapper
sjc  Offline
trapper
S

northern michigan
Originally Posted by walleyed

w

I love to trap, but if there were no money in it, it wouldn't be the same. A big part of trapping, for me, is the money, even if I don't need it. I've always gotten a kick out of trying to make it pay. Even when it didn't...

Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: The Beav] #7125676
01/07/21 06:14 PM
01/07/21 06:14 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
Originally Posted by The Beav

I’m talking about in the tanning process. Sure I can stretch a coon 2” longer on a board than a wire but during tanning it shrinks back. Also when a coon is over stretched on a board the fur will not look or feel full. This causes down grade from (let’s say) north central to eastern or eastern to central. Hope this helps explain the dislike of rats on boards. The great NAFA did not like rats on boards:)
Really?

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #7125690
01/07/21 06:26 PM
01/07/21 06:26 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

-Goofy-
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: walleyed] #7125738
01/07/21 07:02 PM
01/07/21 07:02 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by walleyed

w

Groeny's new pet. Is this what groney tells you before BOHICA?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Muskrat Grading [Re: jbyrd63] #7125745
01/07/21 07:09 PM
01/07/21 07:09 PM
s.e. minnesota
H
Hornytoad1 Offline
trapper
Hornytoad1  Offline
trapper
H

s.e. minnesota
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
When I sold to Groenewold in November (Guy was buyer) I was told to use wire. The reason he told me was because they stack better. All this did was P__ me off because years age I used wire and Groenewold was the one who convinced me to use wood. I made my mind up instantly that I'm done with them. If the pin holes are an issue then what about the teats on females. Not much difference there.

LOL Doubt they will miss your business as much as you will miss sitting on the fur you can't sell.. If you don't want to use wire use wood. BUt I never saw the need for wood. I'm not good at it but I can stretch 10 rat to 1 on wire VS wood. Coon 15-1. Plus don't have to keep up with push pins laying all over. Mink I use a board , but at 4 bucks apiece I say let them breed.

Jokes on you clown. We have multiple options to sell fur around here. I won't be sitting on any fur. I used wire they talked me into using wood. Now they don't like it. They can pound sand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread