No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The future of this website. [Re: TurkeyWrangler] #7128830
01/09/21 08:51 PM
01/09/21 08:51 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
I'm usually not one to brown nose but I am grateful that this site hasn't been sold out to a bigger company. Way to many of the outdoor boards that I am a member of have been sold out and revamped into ad machines. Now I have nothing against banner ads but some of these sites are way overboard with their advertising. Huge banners down both sides and even in post that make it look like a member posted it. I won't even start in about the post generating bots.

Absolutely. A lot of sites have been bought up by marketing companies that have no interest or knowledge about whatever the site is about and the site goes downhill.

-Ryan
Re: The future of this website. [Re: TurkeyWrangler] #7128838
01/09/21 08:53 PM
01/09/21 08:53 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I'm usually not one to brown nose but I am grateful that this site hasn't been sold out to a bigger company. Way to many of the outdoor boards that I am a member of have been sold out and revamped into ad machines. Now I have nothing against banner ads but some of these sites are way overboard with their advertising. Huge banners down both sides and even in post that make it look like a member posted it. I won't even start in about the post generating bots.

There's a reason for that. Of course that's why it annoys most people. There's a few ways to get paid for advertising. The standard way is either to get paid by click or by view. By view is about worthless as it's easily manipulated. To get clicks most forums will set it up for in post ads as it makes it more likely to get clicks as you scroll.

Smaller sites are better off getting direct sponsorships where it's just a flat fee per month or year or sell subscription

Re: The future of this website. [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7128895
01/09/21 09:18 PM
01/09/21 09:18 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

I've had offers, but refused them. They even said I could stay and run the site - lol. No way.

It totally ruined the "Michigan Sportsman" site, along with the sister sites in Wisconsin, Ohio. Nothing but adds and popups. I rarely visit those sites.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: The future of this website. [Re: martentrapper] #7129211
01/09/21 11:45 PM
01/09/21 11:45 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline OP
trapper
martentrapper  Offline OP
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Thanks Boss, this place is amazing. When other sites or slow to load, this one practically JUMPS out and loads quickly. Now that I'm a little more educated, I'm amazed this site lets us join for free and there is so little advertising.
The good lord smiled down on the trapping community when Paul Dobbins, and whoever else, got this website going!

Re: The future of this website. [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7129293
01/10/21 01:18 AM
01/10/21 01:18 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

I've had offers, but refused them. They even said I could stay and run the site - lol. No way.

Haha wink

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The future of this website. [Re: martentrapper] #7129365
01/10/21 02:15 AM
01/10/21 02:15 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Thanks Boss, this place is amazing. When other sites or slow to load, this one practically JUMPS out and loads quickly. Now that I'm a little more educated, I'm amazed this site lets us join for free and there is so little advertising.
The good lord smiled down on the trapping community when Paul Dobbins, and whoever else, got this website going!

Lots of truth right there. Remember back when the AK outdoors site was pretty popular ? Some guy that used to be on there tipped me off to Trapperman. Used to be some good stuff over there especially on the shooting forum, but it went downhill and a lot of guys just left.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread