No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Dead Stick #7131977
01/11/21 04:00 PM
01/11/21 04:00 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I keep hearing about ice fishing with a dead stick. Anyone ever used this method?

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Dead Stick [Re: Trapper7] #7131991
01/11/21 04:09 PM
01/11/21 04:09 PM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline
trapper
btomlin  Offline
trapper

SC Iowa
I have. I normally drill 2 holes. I put one "inactive" bait down 1 hole(the dead stick) and then use my active bait(jigging spoon or jigging rap) down the other hole. On wide transducer, my vex will pick up both baits. Sometimes fish will race up to the active bait, but ultimately you will see the dead stick rod tip go down slightly or the line go slack as they actually take it instead.

Re: Dead Stick [Re: btomlin] #7132048
01/11/21 04:52 PM
01/11/21 04:52 PM
Michigan
G
GWGjr Offline
trapper
GWGjr  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
I dead stick a rod every time out using an Okuma Ceymar Baitfeeder spinning reel that features a secondary drag. Allows you to close the bail on the reel and adjust the secondary drag to keep a lively minnow from pulling line yet light enough a larger fish can run with the bait with little resistance. A partial turn of the handle switches the drag to the primary allowing you to set the hook and fight the fish.

Re: Dead Stick [Re: Trapper7] #7132075
01/11/21 05:18 PM
01/11/21 05:18 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
I've heard dead stick referring to live bait on a stationary rod(or tip up or rod trap, free line or set) to fully stationary lure/bait. The idea is to have a very neutral presentation for fish that may be very inactive or for pike that are very used to scavenging "dead" fish floating mid-column in lake. Taken many fish thru the ice with this presentation of many species. Works best for me on those days of extensive pressure changes when others are saying "there's just no fish in this lake".

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread