No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How do these jars work? #7134864
01/13/21 01:54 PM
01/13/21 01:54 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline OP
trapper
HayDay  Offline OP
trapper
H

Missouri
Figure if anyone knows, someone on here will.

Widely used in the food industry, these are generally light glass or at least not mason type jars.....with a simple screw on lid.

[Linked Image]

I know what it takes to seal a canning jar with lids and bands in a pressure canner, but seriously doubt they use the same process on these......or with any of the juice or plastic liquid bottles.....with just a screw on lid. I think those are PET bottles.

But curious how something like this jar of salsa can be sealed and make shelf stable without running them through a canner?

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7134865
01/13/21 01:56 PM
01/13/21 01:56 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline OP
trapper
HayDay  Offline OP
trapper
H

Missouri
Have concluded something like V8 juice must be sealed under a vacuum, but how does it get sterilized? Preservative do it?

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7134873
01/13/21 02:09 PM
01/13/21 02:09 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
The whole thing is probably hot going down the line. i.e. the empty jars coming out of a steamer of some kind and the hot food going in. Sterilized going in, not after like we do it / think of it. They don't have to boil it in water after its jarred and then it cools and seals just like if you did. Not sure if the labels would go on before or after its cooled. Probably depends on the type of label.

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7134907
01/13/21 02:49 PM
01/13/21 02:49 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Often you can get the one piece lids cheaper than flats . This summer they were available .
You could get them when you couldn't get flats they worked good for us . I don't think we used them on anything but waterbath canning

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7134979
01/13/21 04:10 PM
01/13/21 04:10 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I hot pack my tomatoes, no canning them. Been doing it all my life, mom did it all her life, grandma.... etc... Clean your jars, warm up the lids in simmering water, get the pealed tomatoes boiling with a little canning salt and let them cook til they thicken a little, fill the jars, screw the lids on and let them set til cool. Jars seal up and last for a couple years easily. Works the same for salsa.

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: ~ADC~] #7135052
01/13/21 05:22 PM
01/13/21 05:22 PM
Waldo, OH
H
hogwild Offline
trapper
hogwild  Offline
trapper
H

Waldo, OH
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I hot pack my tomatoes, no canning them. Been doing it all my life, mom did it all her life, grandma.... etc... Clean your jars, warm up the lids in simmering water, get the pealed tomatoes boiling with a little canning salt and let them cook til they thicken a little, fill the jars, screw the lids on and let them set til cool. Jars seal up and last for a couple years easily. Works the same for salsa.

That's how my parents used to can things back in the day.

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: OhioBoy] #7135184
01/13/21 07:13 PM
01/13/21 07:13 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by OhioBoy
The whole thing is probably hot going down the line. i.e. the empty jars coming out of a steamer of some kind and the hot food going in. Sterilized going in, not after like we do it / think of it. They don't have to boil it in water after its jarred and then it cools and seals just like if you did. Not sure if the labels would go on before or after its cooled. Probably depends on the type of label.

Basically this ^^^^^

At least in the industries I'm familiar with. Containers hot washed, dried and fed into line. Product going into them is under heat/pastuerized. Lids on. Labels applied. Along with all the bar coding printed. All at a speed that is blur to the human eye.

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: hogwild] #7135198
01/13/21 07:17 PM
01/13/21 07:17 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by hogwild

That's how my parents used to can things back in the day.

historically tomato products were a little easier for industry to pack due to acidic content that essentially aided in the preservation. with low acid tomatoes that has impacted packaging process in industry at least from what i have seen

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: ~ADC~] #7135216
01/13/21 07:27 PM
01/13/21 07:27 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan

That how we do it, mom and grandma too. I have seen issues with friends that like, and use the low acid tomatoes. My canners are always Bonnie Best, Jet star, Big boy and Roma. Last season I grew a couple rows of Amish paste tomatoes and was very happy with them. Some think I am crazy but tomato specie matters to me and my canned tomatoes. Just the way I was raised. Grandparents lived next door and had a big produce stand.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: How do these jars work? [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7135262
01/13/21 07:49 PM
01/13/21 07:49 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

That how we do it, mom and grandma too. I have seen issues with friends that like, and use the low acid tomatoes. My canners are always Bonnie Best, Jet star, Big boy and Roma. Last season I grew a couple rows of Amish paste tomatoes and was very happy with them. Some think I am crazy but tomato specie matters to me and my canned tomatoes. Just the way I was raised. Grandparents lived next door and had a big produce stand.

My parents grew mostly Celebrity for canning, maybe a few others like beefsteak for slicing and a couple of them little nasty cherry tomatoes. I never did like any tomatoes to eat raw, still don't. sick But canned they make good addition to soups, goulash, chili, etc... make a good red beer too if you spice them up.

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7135296
01/13/21 08:05 PM
01/13/21 08:05 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

You don't like raw slice tomatoes on your plate?

I knew there was something a little bit off about you when we me...
whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: Leftlane] #7135343
01/13/21 08:31 PM
01/13/21 08:31 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Leftlane
You don't like raw slice tomatoes on your plate?

I knew there was something a little bit off about you when we me...
whistle

I don't mind them on my plate as long as I don't have to eat them. If fact that is where I put them when I pick them off my sandwich. laugh

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7135607
01/13/21 10:14 PM
01/13/21 10:14 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Oh brother! A BLT is one of my mainstays and even if I am skinnier than you are I still winter purdy good LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7135642
01/13/21 10:32 PM
01/13/21 10:32 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Everything is hot and sterile when canned at a factory for the most part there are exceptions. Also, read the ingredients of the average canned good. Full of stuff you can't pronounce. Most of it is to kill bacteria and preserve the food. This is one way they get around pressure canning.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: How do these jars work? [Re: HayDay] #7135665
01/13/21 10:40 PM
01/13/21 10:40 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Same with bread. You can bake a loaf of bread and it's moldy in three days if you don't get it ate. A loaf of store bread will go hard in 3 weeks without molding. You're eating preservatives.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: How do these jars work? [Re: Leftlane] #7135667
01/13/21 10:41 PM
01/13/21 10:41 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Oh brother! A BLT is one of my mainstays and even if I am skinnier than you are I still winter purdy good LOL

sick JUst replace the T with C (cheese) and then you got a good sandwich.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread