No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Rat_Pack] #7141043
01/17/21 12:53 PM
01/17/21 12:53 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Rat_Pack
I saw a lot of people hunting and fishing this past year

How many under 18 years old?

Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7141060
01/17/21 01:04 PM
01/17/21 01:04 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
California, despite all the other crap, has long had a great program for special youth hunts, but over the years it seems that it is just the sons/daughters of hunters who would have hunted anyway taking advantage of the opportunity. God bless 'em. But most of the photos you see are of 16 year olds with good gear and guns and a strap of good ducks.... not some first timer. The public refuge system has become so complex and crowded that it turns many off.

Here in France you rarely see young kids hunting and they are almost always kids of avid hunters, still the numbers go down due to cost and time/interest.

For me it is a losing battle due to culture/internet/school teaching. My parents didn't hunt but they had no problem with me getting into it at 16 out of my own interest. In 1975 there wasn't any anti-hunting pressure, that I felt at least, and it was easy to buy stuff. Not like that now.

Pete

Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7141063
01/17/21 01:06 PM
01/17/21 01:06 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
See alot more deer hunters this rifle season compared to the last 10 years.

Nevada bound
Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7141101
01/17/21 01:40 PM
01/17/21 01:40 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
In states like Idaho the only revenue fish and game receives is license sales and federal taxes. The legislature won't provide any money but wants to micromanage all they do. We pay big ranchers and farmers for animal damage but they won't allow hunting on their property. I think a main reason for declining hunter numbers is lack of access close to town. People keep subdividing and building houses and kids have no way to get to where they can hunt. When I was seven I was walking out the back door with a .22 and grouse hunting in five minutes. My parents would be arrested now. One of the other big problems is the animal rights groups and them suing fish and game every time they don't get their way. What little money fish and game has is used on lawyers. Improve access and get a kid started and I think hunting,fishing and trapping numbers will improve.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7141116
01/17/21 01:46 PM
01/17/21 01:46 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
We have about 85% of the States moose Youth hunts in our 10,000 square miles of Alaska. Hunting here should ruin them for hunting. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: SundanceMtnMan] #7141183
01/17/21 02:35 PM
01/17/21 02:35 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
In states like Idaho the only revenue fish and game receives is license sales and federal taxes. The legislature won't provide any money but wants to micromanage all they do. We pay big ranchers and farmers for animal damage but they won't allow hunting on their property. I think a main reason for declining hunter numbers is lack of access close to town. People keep subdividing and building houses and kids have no way to get to where they can hunt. When I was seven I was walking out the back door with a .22 and grouse hunting in five minutes. My parents would be arrested now. One of the other big problems is the animal rights groups and them suing fish and game every time they don't get their way. What little money fish and game has is used on lawyers. Improve access and get a kid started and I think hunting,fishing and trapping numbers will improve.

There are you tube videos showing two Texas billionaires brothers named Wilks purchasing thousands of acres of land in the Boise area and then gating off the public Forest Service Roads going through these lands. How can this be legal? If it is, somehow this must stop. Another reason I believe Fish and Game agencies shouldn’t enforce no trespassing laws.

Last edited by Grandpa Trapper; 01/17/21 02:36 PM.
Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7141193
01/17/21 02:41 PM
01/17/21 02:41 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan

There are you tube videos showing two Texas billionaires brothers named Wilks purchasing thousands of acres of land in the Boise area and then gating off the public Forest Service Roads going through these lands. How can this be legal? If it is, somehow this must stop. Another reason I believe Fish and Game agencies shouldn’t enforce no trespassing laws.

NO public land should be land lock from the public use!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Decline of hunting numbers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7141260
01/17/21 03:29 PM
01/17/21 03:29 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
Hunting and fishing numbers THIS past pandemic year were insane in northern MN.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/no-ted-cruz-westerners-should-not-follow-in-texas-footsteps

According to some, 2% public land is too much! I tend to disagree. I realize public and private ownership both have pros and cons for some obvious and also not so obvious reasons depending on your perspective.

Check out the podcast I wrote about in a post a few days back. A big focus on this was access to public lands.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...plicable-to-nearly-all-of-us#Post7136688

Happy trapping! ScottW

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread