No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141576
01/17/21 07:18 PM
01/17/21 07:18 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Prayers for your strength first. Second, I had to deal with a close friend turned addict. We tried very hard to help, but with a Fentanyl laced batch of heroin we lost. Ask your pharmacist for a Narcan nasal spray. It won't cure a addiction, but it may give you a chance to help. Again Prayers for strength, it's everywhere.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: Finster] #7141577
01/17/21 07:19 PM
01/17/21 07:19 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Finster
Prison does drug testing and if you test positive, you get another charge and usually sent to a higher security. eventually, he will have no choice but to be clean or at least clean most of the time. Enough time for reflection. It may help him, it may not. However, this isn't really about him, it's about the people he affects. With him in prison, the rest of the family can live their lives. That's what it's about. He made his choices in life, no need for the family to pay.

Here in Maine and nh they still get what they want in prison.My wife son and brother brag about it.

Nevada bound
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141581
01/17/21 07:20 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
I say just cut them off the drugs COLD TURKEY !!! No Drug treatment clinics . Just take the drugs away from them, lock them in a room; and FORCE THEM TO GO THROUGH THE WITHDRAWAL!

Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: SJA] #7141582
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by SJA
Bruce T, did you miss the point?

Prison is not going to stop anything.

Nevada bound
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141584
01/17/21 07:21 PM
Maine
A
andrews1958 Offline OP
trapper
andrews1958  Offline OP
trapper
A

Maine
Originally Posted by andrews1958
My family is going through a difficult time, as my brother-in-law at 58 years old is a meth head. He was once a multi-millionaire but now a broke,brain fried, toothless, scabby drug addict that you would not recognize who is has been in jail at least 4 times in the last few years. He has now moved close to my 87-year-old mother in law who lives in a semi -retirement community.

She is a true codependent who will never change at her age. She continues to protect and make excuses for him and continues to give him money. Probably more than we know about. He also works at this community doing errands for elderly people. I am sure he is somehow stealing off them but we cannot prove it.

At 62 and I do not want to deal with drugs and drama but we feel as though we need to protect her and her community from him. Has anyone else dealt with a meth head in their family? Did the same happening to you? What are your thoughts for options on dealing with this family crises? We have tried to get him in a rehab program but he will not go.

Maybe I lived to close to” Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood” but I never even knew what meth was that he was or that he was an addict until I visited him in jail. I am so glad know that I did not bail him out. We were so hurt from the lies that he had told us.

I actually gave him over $40,000 within a two year period as he was family just to help him out as I thought he was just going through some real bad times. He lost his job. Went bankrupt. Lost his home and car. Call me stupid for doing so but I had absolutely no idea that drugs were involved with all the bad luck that he was having.

Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: Canvasback2] #7141585
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
I say just cut them off the drugs COLD TURKEY !!! No Drug treatment clinics . Just take the drugs away from them, lock them in a room; and FORCE THEM TO GO THROUGH THE WITHDRAWAL!

How?They won't go to drug rehab.

Nevada bound
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: Bruce T] #7141587
01/17/21 07:23 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by SJA
Bruce T, did you miss the point?

Prison is not going to stop anything.

Correct. The Tiger must stop itself.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141588
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
It looks like your mother in law may be subject to elder abuse. You may want to consider contacting The Maine Attorney General office at- https://www.maine.gov/ag/crime/crimes_we_prosecute/elder/physical_abuse.shtml.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141591
01/17/21 07:24 PM
01/17/21 07:24 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
My family is going through a difficult time, as my brother-in-law at 58 years old is a meth head. He was once a multi-millionaire but now a broke,brain fried, toothless, scabby drug addict that you would not recognize who is has been in jail at least 4 times in the last few years. He has now moved close to my 87-year-old mother in law who lives in a semi -retirement community.

She is a true codependent who will never change at her age. She continues to protect and make excuses for him and continues to give him money. Probably more than we know about. He also works at this community doing errands for elderly people. I am sure he is somehow stealing off them but we cannot prove it.

At 62 and I do not want to deal with drugs and drama but we feel as though we need to protect her and her community from him. Has anyone else dealt with a meth head in their family? Did the same happening to you? What are your thoughts for options on dealing with this family crises? We have tried to get him in a rehab program but he will not go.

Maybe I lived to close to” Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood” but I never even knew what meth was that he was or that he was an addict until I visited him in jail. I am so glad know that I did not bail him out. We were so hurt from the lies that he had told us.

I actually gave him over $40,000 within a two year period as he was family just to help him out as I thought he was just going through some real bad times. He lost his job. Went bankrupt. Lost his home and car. Call me stupid for doing so but I had absolutely no idea that drugs were involved with all the bad luck that he was having.

Seems like you don't want advice but more of an ear?

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141596
01/17/21 07:25 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by SJA

Correct. The Tiger must stop itself.

And they don't want to or can't due to the drugs chemically changing their brains.

Nevada bound
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141597
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Fix up the basement. Shackles and chains. A camping bucket for him to do his business. Modest meal and water 3 times a day. Don’t speak a word to him for 30 days. Once he dries out and can think rationally, begin the conversation about his future and how you will help him recover and set upon a healthy path.

-Goofy-
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7141603
01/17/21 07:27 PM
01/17/21 07:27 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Fix up the basement. Shackles and chains. A camping bucket for him to do his business. Modest meal and water 3 times a day. Don’t speak a word to him for 30 days. Once he dries out and can think rationally, begin the conversation about his future and how you will help him recover and set upon a healthy path.

Sure sounds good but police would have you for kidnapping, torture,etc.

Nevada bound
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: Bruce T] #7141610
01/17/21 07:29 PM
01/17/21 07:29 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.

Sure sounds good but police would have you for kidnapping, torture,etc.

LOL.... that's what I was going to say. Except for the violent felonies, it might just work. On the bright side, maybe you could be bunkies in prison.

Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141622
01/17/21 07:34 PM
01/17/21 07:34 PM
IN
B
blankenship Offline
trapper
blankenship  Offline
trapper
B

IN
When it comes to being an addict the 1st that needs to happen in recovery process the must want to get better and realize that they do have a problem with out that happening there ain't no fixing it.

My cousins been on a down hill spiral last few years he finally hit rock bottom 6 months ago been in jail for 4 months then asked for help he is now in a rehab clinic has been for 2 months he seems like his old self putting weight back on and can actually have a full conversation. So hopefully he is on his way to being clean only time will tell. Once he gets out and back to real life it may go south again its all in there mind set they have to fight it daily

Only thing you can do is protect yourselves and be there once he hits rock bottom and wants to face his demons

Last edited by blankenship; 01/17/21 07:43 PM.
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141623
01/17/21 07:35 PM
01/17/21 07:35 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Time to talk to MIL about power of attorney . not much else will protect her by the sounds of it and not much you can do for her neighbors -- short of a door to door or mail warning.

Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: andrews1958] #7141626
01/17/21 07:36 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
My sister in law was strung out pretty bad on heroine there for a while back when she was in her early 20s. Bad enough to the point that her parents finally threw their hands up and said we cannot deal with this anymore while also raising a young son. Usual stuff. Lying, stealing, etc. She used to borrow money from her younger sister constantly and would call her selfish if she denied. She would only ever come to our house if she was high and needed a place to sleep. I finally told her if she can’t come over without being high she is no longer welcome here. She was ALWAYS the victim in every situation. Could never admit fault for any of it. Her grandparents finally took her in and thankfully she eventually straightened up and got herself through med school. Im glad she finally straightened up but she still doesn’t care for me or her sister or parents. Sees it as we all just turned our backs on her. She still won’t take any responsibility for what she put everyone through. Claims she was out of her mind when she was high so she shouldn’t be held responsible for her actions. Isn’t smart enough to see that she made the conscious decision to try the drugs so everything that unfolded afterwards is on her. Best way to avoid addiction is to not try the drug!

Last edited by T-REV; 01/17/21 07:38 PM.
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7141627
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware

I hope you just forgot to put a crazy after that statement or a J/K . . . or else you may have issues. HA! . . . and be the one to end up in shackles. cry

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: Bruce T] #7141633
01/17/21 07:38 PM
01/17/21 07:38 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by Canvasback2

How?They won't go to drug rehab.

Like I said, Just lock them in a room . Locked up in a Concrete block root cellar would keep them from getting any drugs laugh

Last edited by Canvasback2; 01/17/21 07:39 PM.
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: T-REV] #7141635
01/17/21 07:40 PM
01/17/21 07:40 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by T-REV
My sister in law was strung out pretty bad on heroine there for a while back when she was in her early 20s. Bad enough to the point that her parents finally threw their hands up and said we cannot deal with this anymore while also raising a young son. Usual stuff. Lying, stealing, etc. She used to borrow money from her younger sister constantly and would call her selfish if she denied. She would only ever come to our house if she was high and needed a place to sleep. I finally told her if she can’t come over without being high she is no longer welcome here. She was ALWAYS the victim in every situation. Could never admit fault for any of it. Her grandparents finally took her in and thankfully she eventually straightened up and got herself through med school. Im glad she finally straightened up but she still doesn’t care for me or her sister or parents. Sees it as we all just turned our backs on her. She still won’t take any responsibility for what she put everyone through. Claims she was out of her mind when she was high so she shouldn’t be held responsible for her actions. Isn’t smart enough to see that she made the conscious decision to try the drugs so everything that unfolded afterwards is on her. Best way to avoid addiction is to not try the drug!

Don't let people put the quilt trip on you. If you don't let it start, you don't have to stop it!

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: A Meth Head in the Family [Re: T-REV] #7141644
01/17/21 07:45 PM
01/17/21 07:45 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by T-REV

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread