No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How long will finished fur last? #7142267
01/18/21 01:12 AM
01/18/21 01:12 AM
SE Nebraska
possumcatcher Offline OP
trapper
possumcatcher  Offline OP
trapper

SE Nebraska
Im looking to get a couple pairs of mittens made, and am finishing my fur for them. Its not looking like i will have enough fur to do it this year, but should next year. I have heard that finished fur will last if you wrap it in newspaper and put it in the freezer. My question is how long will it last like that? A year or two?

Re: How long will finished fur last? [Re: possumcatcher] #7142297
01/18/21 02:26 AM
01/18/21 02:26 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Depends on type of fur. Beaver, raccoon, otter, and similar furs will last multiple years. Bobcats not so long.

The 2 important factors are temperature and air. You want the temperature to be cold and steady (not a lot of fluctuation) You should pack the pelts as tight as possible so there isn’t air between pelts. If you use newspaper (of brown paper bags or something similar, don’t wrap each individual pelts. Put them in small bundles and wrap the bundle.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: How long will finished fur last? [Re: possumcatcher] #7142407
01/18/21 08:41 AM
01/18/21 08:41 AM
SE Nebraska
possumcatcher Offline OP
trapper
possumcatcher  Offline OP
trapper

SE Nebraska
Ok thank you. Im planning on using skunk and beaver

Previous Thread
Index