No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7141937
01/17/21 09:59 PM
01/17/21 09:59 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
They seem pretty abundant in the Driftless Area. They really do a lot of damage when they start digging pocket gophers in farm fields.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7141952
01/17/21 10:05 PM
01/17/21 10:05 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
If you get a chance at any new season jump on its better to gain a season then to lose one. IMO

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: Law Dog] #7141957
01/17/21 10:06 PM
01/17/21 10:06 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Law Dog
If you get a chance at any new season jump on its better to gain a season then to lose one. IMO

Amen

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7141962
01/17/21 10:08 PM
nw Wisconsin
S
skratmandoo Offline
trapper
skratmandoo  Offline
trapper
S

nw Wisconsin
This is true, Law Dog, I wasnt saying lets not do it, youve kinda twisted my view point to make it seem like I dont want it, I was just saying, on an internet forum, that I didnt think it was an essential change. Lets get that Badger season, folks.

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7141966
chelsea,wi
keets Offline
trapper
keets  Offline
trapper

chelsea,wi
where is the wis trappers association on this?

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7141972
01/17/21 10:10 PM
01/17/21 10:10 PM
nw Wisconsin
S
skratmandoo Offline
trapper
skratmandoo  Offline
trapper
S

nw Wisconsin
They are looking for Bucky!

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7142075
01/17/21 10:50 PM
01/17/21 10:50 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
No different than any other managed animal.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7142279
01/18/21 01:32 AM
01/18/21 01:32 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
You non WI residents and some of you WI residents don't realize how big the anti trapping population Is. It's been quite for some time no reason to get them all stirred up. And with this online voting It's like poking a hornets nest. So far we aren't losing anything but It could boil over and come back to bite us. Leave a sleeping dog lie.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7142350
01/18/21 07:01 AM
01/18/21 07:01 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Do other states not harvest their state animal? Of course they do.

We should never have a problem defending the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. Everything with a season has fared far better over the long haul. And it was the carrot that kept investment coming back into those species.

nimzy, we have opened up bobcat quite a bit in the last few years. Probably take a pretty big coordinated effort to continue to drive it up as we did loose a pretty influential person within the department. Funny thing is I saw more sign in Winnebago County than in years past. Just looking closer or something else driving it?

So why is it our state animal?

But do you know the history behind the name? Many people think that it comes from an abundance of the black-and-white animal, but in reality Wisconsin has no more badgers than its neighboring states.

The nickname actually dates back to the 1820s, when mining became a huge business, leading thousands of men to the ample iron ore mines in the Midwest.

Wisconsin workers made temporary homes by digging caves into the rock of the mines, similar to tunnels that badgers dig for shelter. The miners came to be known as “badger boys” or “badgers,” and the name eventually came to represent the state itself.
Source: Travel Wisconsin

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7142387
01/18/21 08:18 AM
01/18/21 08:18 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI

nimzy, we have opened up bobcat quite a bit in the last few years. Probably take a pretty big coordinated effort to continue to drive it up as we did loose a pretty influential person within the department. Funny thing is I saw more sign in Winnebago County than in years past. Just looking closer or something else driving it?

Not enough
Poor ice conditions in December inspired me to trap some mink. Why? Because i like catching them and greatly enjoy their environs. Anyway that style of trapping, that time of year is eye opening on the current status of our trophies. Looking close, nah.... just being there. I can remember when a coyote track was a rare find.

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: The Beav] #7142405
01/18/21 08:36 AM
01/18/21 08:36 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by The Beav
You non WI residents and some of you WI residents don't realize how big the anti trapping population Is. It's been quite for some time no reason to get them all stirred up. And with this online voting It's like poking a hornets nest. So far we aren't losing anything but It could boil over and come back to bite us. Leave a sleeping dog lie.

Careful Beav, sensible talk like that might get you labeled as an anti by some out of stater that has no skin in the game.

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: The Beav] #7142536
01/18/21 10:29 AM
01/18/21 10:29 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI

They shut down one season and it is in state statue. But you want to say don't kick the hornet nest? So should we just move to eliminate all fur trapping to appease those folks? Or do we take our case to the public about the benefits of trapping. The reason nuisance trapping polls so high is because the animal takes it to the public for us.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/18/21 10:34 AM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7142577
01/18/21 10:53 AM
01/18/21 10:53 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Show me the benefit In trapping badgers. If the badger Is dong damage you can get a permit to eliminate that problem. Or I should say the land owner can.

You need to pick your fights to come out a winner. You weren't even born when we busted our butts so you still have that right to trap.

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7142636
01/18/21 11:58 AM
01/18/21 11:58 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Hook up with the GFP here we can upgrade your badger bloodlines with some quality specimens and see how quick things change. LOL Make sure you request a pair if civets with every badger to relocate in WI that would be a dream come true for me on the civets.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7142645
01/18/21 12:05 PM
01/18/21 12:05 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
So your saying non- residents should be quiet on how other States manage their wildlife and seasons thats some sound advice folks. whistle

Jerry Herbst
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: The Beav] #7142654
01/18/21 12:08 PM
01/18/21 12:08 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Show me the benefit In trapping badgers. If the badger Is dong damage you can get a permit to eliminate that problem. Or I should say the land owner can.

You need to pick your fights to come out a winner. You weren't even born when we busted our butts so you still have that right to trap.

Show me an animal that hasn't benefited from a regulated season? Of the hundreds, you think badger is going to be the outlier?

As far as picking your fights, I agree. While I wasn't at the Capitol during the last clash, I am not afraid to learn from my history. What lead up to that point? Appeasement and the voluntary sacrifice of our tools of the trade so we wouldn't have to fight that battle, yet it came. Why? Because trappers sat in their corner afraid to talk to the general public about the benefits of regulated fur trapping and yet you encourage the same behavior today?

The history should be clear, the public will come to our side when we stand behind the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, but we can't wait for them to kick the hornet nest and bring the fight to us. I will never pass up an opportunity to be out in the public square sharing the value of the model and the role regulated trapping plays in todays modern world.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/18/21 12:12 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: The Beav] #7142831
01/18/21 02:06 PM
01/18/21 02:06 PM
East Central Wi.
coyote addict Offline OP
trapper
coyote addict  Offline OP
trapper

East Central Wi.
?[quote=The Beav]Show me the benefit In trapping badgers. If the badger Is dong damage you can get a permit to eliminate that problem. Or I should say the land owner can.

So Beav, are you also going to say the same about the wolves when the antis are going nuts about a harvest season on them ?

Member -W.T.A. N.T.A. - N.R. A.
A Shotgun. A Rifle and a 4 Wheel Drive.. A Country Boy. Will Survive
Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: Law Dog] #7142841
01/18/21 02:15 PM
01/18/21 02:15 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Law Dog
So your saying non- residents should be quiet on how other States manage their wildlife and seasons thats some sound advice folks. whistle

No problem voicing your opinions but when It comes down to the vote you don't have any say In the outcome. And you have nothing to lose.

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7142847
01/18/21 02:19 PM
01/18/21 02:19 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin

Show me an animal that hasn't benefited from a regulated season? Of the hundreds, you think badger is going to be the outlier?

As far as picking your fights, I agree. While I wasn't at the Capitol during the last clash, I am not afraid to learn from my history. What lead up to that point? Appeasement and the voluntary sacrifice of our tools of the trade so we wouldn't have to fight that battle, yet it came. Why? Because trappers sat in their corner afraid to talk to the general public about the benefits of regulated fur trapping and yet you encourage the same behavior today?

The history should be clear, the public will come to our side when we stand behind the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, but we can't wait for them to kick the hornet nest and bring the fight to us. I will never pass up an opportunity to be out in the public square sharing the value of the model and the role regulated trapping plays in todays modern world.

Go out and knock on 100 doors In Mad town and explain to those 100 households why It would benefit the badger to have a season on It. And then get back to me.

Re: Wi. Badger season [Re: coyote addict] #7143298
01/18/21 06:09 PM
01/18/21 06:09 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
I am not going door to door in that cesspool, but if you want help, I will gladly give some pointers and try to help you out.

Looking at the WCC results, I see you had about 8000 folks vote on the badger season question in Dane County last year. Another 1500 participated in survey in Dane County, but had no opinion on a badger season. Nearly 20% didn't have an opinion and I am guessing quite a few of the ones that didn't support a season never really heard our side. Keep refusing to sell the benefits of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation to the public and you will end up back at the Capitol sooner than you think. The antis wont stop just because you are hiding in the corner. https://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/Documents/spring_hearing/2020/Results/2020_CountyResults.pdf

But you asked for the benefit of a season. One of the biggest benefit of a season is the data it provides. Doesn't matter if it is lake sturgeon, fisher, deer, or any other game animal for that matter. Harvest data is extremely valuable in keeping track of a population. Wasn't too long ago, researchers were not sure what they would find, yet sportsmen paid the tab. Here is an interesting article about some of the research. http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/90434294.html

Latch notes that Michigan is known as the Wolverine State and yet no wolverines, aside from one that died in February, have been seen there in decades. "I didn't want the badger to fall into the situation where you've got Bucky Badger but no badgers," said Latch.

Couldn't agree more. Time to re-open a season. Sportsmen will ensure they are around for years to come.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/18/21 06:10 PM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread