No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7141363
01/17/21 04:41 PM
01/17/21 04:41 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
Been trapping beaver full time 27 years (ADC) I use hancock style. We have been getting over 300 beaver in them every year. I use Comstock traps also. We have a new trigger design for the Koro trap. James will be offering this soon. It allows the Koro to be a great blind set.
As for Bailey. They have about a 65% success rate.
I have several given to me by frustrated trappers.
Advance Traps are good but the weight is just to much if you have to carry them very far.
The nesting feature on them is nice but just to heavy.
The Easy Set has the same problem and its success rate was lower then we can accept.
We expect about a 95+ % success catch rate or not using them. The fact is they are all expensive so it has to pay for its self quick.
Don LaFountain

Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7141427
01/17/21 05:41 PM
01/17/21 05:41 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
About 20 years ago I bought at least 10 Koro traps and two Hancocks. I sold Hancock’s and kept the koro. I wore the koro out in 10 years. I caught at least 100 to 200 beavers every year in them. I hate to say how many easy set traps Ibought but they were awful in the south. They might work good up north but I don’t work good here. I think every beaver trapper could use at least one Koro.I use cage traps every day for beaver. They’re all traps that I made. They are not the advanced traps made in Canada they didn’t catch well at all that’s why my patents are no longer with them. Well made but had a high magnetic intensity going into the trap.They are too heavy.
Of the 100 different designs and traps that I made, the 14 x 17 x 32“ high speed door trap powder coated is the most effective I’ve ever used. You want a trap that can be set on land and in water. It can be seton an incline can be floated It can be hung to catch as well as underwater. Trap weighs about 28 pounds depending on whether the bait cages on it. It is used for Bobcat Fox coon Possums beaver otter and many other animals.
Getting back to your original post., Of the two you mentioned the koro I would recommend wholeheartedly.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: Trapper Don] #7141481
01/17/21 06:35 PM
01/17/21 06:35 PM
Northern Illinois
J
JackD Offline OP
trapper
JackD  Offline OP
trapper
J

Northern Illinois
Originally Posted by Trapper Don
Been trapping beaver full time 27 years (ADC) I use hancock style. We have been getting over 300 beaver in them every year. I use Comstock traps also. We have a new trigger design for the Koro trap. James will be offering this soon. It allows the Koro to be a great blind set.
As for Bailey. They have about a 65% success rate.
I have several given to me by frustrated trappers.
Advance Traps are good but the weight is just to much if you have to carry them very far.
The nesting feature on them is nice but just to heavy.
The Easy Set has the same problem and its success rate was lower then we can accept.
We expect about a 95+ % success catch rate or not using them. The fact is they are all expensive so it has to pay for its self quick.
Don LaFountain

This is the first I've heard of the Advance Traps. I won't have to carry them far and wondering which trap, the Koro or the Advance trap, would be the best bang for the bucks spent? And I'd hate to spend $400 on a trap that's ONLY got a 65% success rate.

Mr. CBD
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: Kirk De] #7141483
01/17/21 06:37 PM
01/17/21 06:37 PM
Northern Illinois
J
JackD Offline OP
trapper
JackD  Offline OP
trapper
J

Northern Illinois
Originally Posted by Kirk De
About 20 years ago I bought at least 10 Koro traps and two Hancocks. I sold Hancock’s and kept the koro. I wore the koro out in 10 years. I caught at least 100 to 200 beavers every year in them. I hate to say how many easy set traps Ibought but they were awful in the south. They might work good up north but I don’t work good here. I think every beaver trapper could use at least one Koro.I use cage traps every day for beaver. They’re all traps that I made. They are not the advanced traps made in Canada they didn’t catch well at all that’s why my patents are no longer with them. Well made but had a high magnetic intensity going into the trap.They are too heavy.
Of the 100 different designs and traps that I made, the 14 x 17 x 32“ high speed door trap powder coated is the most effective I’ve ever used. You want a trap that can be set on land and in water. It can be seton an incline can be floated It can be hung to catch as well as underwater. Trap weighs about 28 pounds depending on whether the bait cages on it. It is used for Bobcat Fox coon Possums beaver otter and many other animals.
Getting back to your original post., Of the two you mentioned the koro I would recommend wholeheartedly.

Trapper Don mentioned a trigger that would allow the Koro's to used in blind sets. Have you used yours strictly as a baited set? Or have you used them as a blind set somehow?

Mr. CBD
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7141527
01/17/21 07:03 PM
01/17/21 07:03 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
I use them both ways. The new trigger system allows the Koro to be used both ways. Great breach set without it showing. Without the trigger (AKA stock)
I use Koro most of the time. I have great success with Hancock also. Not much difference between the two until modified. As a baited set Koro/Hancock can be hung on a snag or anything in the water to hold it. I like having some of all of them they all have their pros and cons. If I was going for only one, I pick Hancock/ Koro style.
Don LaFountain

Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7141628
01/17/21 07:36 PM
01/17/21 07:36 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I have only used a koro beaver trap using bait. The traps I’m using now llock bar door traps and guillotine door traps with extremely fast doors. I set them on trails in the water and under the water. They are also set on land and in different configurations of up to five traps in water for multiple catches. That is using the guillotine door traps.They have a reduced magnetic field going through the trap. The Koro trap because of its design and the way it’s made will have a reduced field in the way the animal would approach the trap. It makes it very effective because the way it’s open and the way it can be placed. It’s just limited on locations that you can make set. The koro trap is ideal when there is no run or trail to set. It works the same way with the trap I use. You can just be sat out in the water as Baited set or Whatever. The Koro trap sure has its place.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: Kirk De] #7141695
01/17/21 08:10 PM
01/17/21 08:10 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
Sorry Kirk but with the new trigger, Koro can be set blind in trails in water. Great set at crossovers in dams, trails to cutting areas in grass if in water. As for on dry land, no. But beavers travel mostly in the water and thats where they return to so, trap at the re-entry point. Like I said before, pros and cons with all of them.
As for magnetic fields got nothing but they have an open top so no idea how that works. All I know is if I don't solve the problem (catch them all) I don't get paid at all. That has never happened.
Don LaFountain

Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: Trapper Don] #7142556
01/18/21 10:38 AM
01/18/21 10:38 AM
Northern Illinois
J
JackD Offline OP
trapper
JackD  Offline OP
trapper
J

Northern Illinois
Originally Posted by Trapper Don
I use them both ways. The new trigger system allows the Koro to be used both ways. Great breach set without it showing. Without the trigger (AKA stock)
I use Koro most of the time. I have great success with Hancock also. Not much difference between the two until modified. As a baited set Koro/Hancock can be hung on a snag or anything in the water to hold it. I like having some of all of them they all have their pros and cons. If I was going for only one, I pick Hancock/ Koro style.
Don LaFountain

Thanks Again! Thinking I'll give the Hancock a whirl. I'll let you know how it works out. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Mr. CBD
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7142604
01/18/21 11:15 AM
01/18/21 11:15 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Don't give this Jack guy ideas! All he wants to do is relocate them beavers in my creeks!! Like I don't have enough to trap now! Right Jack????

Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7142606
01/18/21 11:16 AM
01/18/21 11:16 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: JackD] #7142622
01/18/21 11:43 AM
01/18/21 11:43 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The OP never mentioned he was trying to relocate those beaver. So If It were me I'd be hanging snares.

If a beaver Is square shy and bait and lure shy I can't believe It's going to go Into a cage trap.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: The Beav] #7142670
01/18/21 12:18 PM
01/18/21 12:18 PM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Beav-- He is not trying to relocate. We're friends and I'm just giving him some crap!!

Re: Live Traps for Beaver??? [Re: ratbrain] #7143151
01/18/21 05:02 PM
01/18/21 05:02 PM
Northern Illinois
J
JackD Offline OP
trapper
JackD  Offline OP
trapper
J

Northern Illinois
Originally Posted by ratbrain
Don't give this Jack guy ideas! All he wants to do is relocate them beavers in my creeks!! Like I don't have enough to trap now! Right Jack????

I know you're the kinda guy that likes a challenge.....
grin

Mr. CBD
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread