No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7143034
01/18/21 03:52 PM
01/18/21 03:52 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Texas is the land of money. Don’t have it, don’t show up.

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7143055
01/18/21 04:05 PM
01/18/21 04:05 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
It always amazed me how one second all you see sage brush next second there are deer and rabbits everywhere

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7143168
01/18/21 05:11 PM
01/18/21 05:11 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
When we were vacationing down there we noticed many of those feeder stands all over the landscape. Do they really feed the deer that much or is it just by hunting spots?

I've heard great things about eating javelins, be hard to toss but I guess if you had enough venison.....be fun to share with friends as a novelty at least.

Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: Osky] #7143259
01/18/21 05:54 PM
01/18/21 05:54 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Osky
Bernie if I remember correctly where I was it was 7500.00 dollars per 5k acres and you had to buy two parcels minimum. Per 5k acres, or parcel, you were allowed 2 hunters.
All amenities were on the parcel holder. Many had incredible camera set ups on their feeders and it was piped back to wherever the leasers office or home was. The ranch did have a service for a fee to fill feeders. Many had pretty incredible mobile units moved on their lease and paid for electric. Buried Septic was not involved or allowed.
Despite them leasing the land only existing ranch roads could be driven on with any type of machinery, even I had to hunt afoot off roads.
I cant imagine what those leases for hunting cost today. For the ranch owner, it was all play money. Under that massive spread was enormous amounts of black gold.

Osky

This ranch is a lot different. And in that brush country, there is no hunting off the senderos. Try to walk 50 yards in that stuff you're clothes are in tatters and you are pretty bloodied. Very grateful my deer dropped in it's tracks I would never consider bowhunting when the deer might run 100 yards, you'd never get it it. Once I shot a coyote that ran off the sendero 20 feet and I could see it but I couldn't get to it.

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: ScottW] #7143264
01/18/21 05:56 PM
01/18/21 05:56 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by ScottW
When we were vacationing down there we noticed many of those feeder stands all over the landscape. Do they really feed the deer that much or is it just by hunting spots?

I've heard great things about eating javelins, be hard to toss but I guess if you had enough venison.....be fun to share with friends as a novelty at least.

Happy trapping! ScottW

The deer are fed all over and of course that's where you hunt, there's really no other way to do it. Of course it benefits every kind of wildlife from birds to pigs. Quail are everywhere and the number of songbirds in that brush is unreal.

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7143310
01/18/21 06:16 PM
01/18/21 06:16 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
good read thanks for sharing smile

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144074
01/19/21 01:30 AM
01/19/21 01:30 AM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Very interesting
Congratulations Bernie

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144151
01/19/21 07:13 AM
01/19/21 07:13 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by BernieB.
By the way they had a trapper come in last year after deer season who caught 85 coyotes and 40 bobcats off the lease.

Good pics Bernie! I think you're close to us down here near Freer. Years ago when I first started working TX ranches, I smiled as everywhere I went, no matter the size and no matter the situation, the "trapper before me". (who they did not hire back), ALWAYS caught around 80 coyotes and 40 bobcats. What's with the 80 number? Less than 100? More than 50?
Anyway, on a high fence who keep snares up 365 days a year, I have never caught more than 30+ coyotes on the inside of the high fence. I don't trap low fence ranches.

I charge a high rate, show them pics every single day, and that takes the 80 outta it.
The trappers here just like 80 is all. And they usually say they dumped the carcasses in the bush because they stink. Uh huh.
I bring all back to the meat house and plop dead carcasses so the paying man or woman sees what carcasses look like.

Last ranch I was on, 4 out of state trappers (who are known to many) trapped before me and showed the paying man 5 coyotes in 5 days... and said they caught 80.
Uh huh. All I saw was 2 coyote catch circles and raccoon catch circles everywhere. And screens blowing all over from bigger sized traps. You'd hold a black buck in a #3 around here! That'd be bad news.

That's why they hired me. I charged more than the 4 dudes, but hey we kill and show it all. On days we charge zip, we show pics of zip. And so forth. Truth in king to the money boys above all else and that has served me well. Very well.

Donna and I killed 32 in 13 checks and we showed all the coyotes to the payer.
I left about 6 coyotes that would not play ball.

I'd love to trap where there were 80 coyotes. Never seen it where high fences are in place and snares hung.

I guess it's a Texas thing. About how they hang the snare locks at 3 o'clock?????
Interesting.

Good pics BB!
Blessings,
Mark

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144158
01/19/21 07:28 AM
01/19/21 07:28 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Bernie is right about the money coming out of there pockets is like a $20 coming out of ours. Everyone, especially these millionaires and billionaires we work with, doesn't throw good money after bad, but the oil and gas leases have sure helped most of who we deal with. These ranch owners are a great bunch. Work hard. Play hard. Honest and conservative is how they roll. Hand shake is a deal. Look someone in the eye and deal straight.

We like that a bunch.
Glad you had a swell time BernieB.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: ] #7144162
01/19/21 07:32 AM
01/19/21 07:32 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by BernieB.
By the way they had a trapper come in last year after deer season who caught 85 coyotes and 40 bobcats off the lease.

Good pics Bernie! I think you're close to us down here near Freer. Years ago when I first started working TX ranches, I smiled as everywhere I went, no matter the size and no matter the situation, the "trapper before me". (who they did not hire back), ALWAYS caught around 80 coyotes and 40 bobcats. What's with the 80 number? Less than 100? More than 50?
Anyway, on a high fence who keep snares up 365 days a year, I have never caught more than 30+ coyotes on the inside of the high fence. I don't trap low fence ranches.

I charge a high rate, show them pics every single day, and that takes the 80 outta it.
The trappers here just like 80 is all. And they usually say they dumped the carcasses in the bush because they stink. Uh huh.
I bring all back to the meat house and plop dead carcasses so the paying man or woman sees what carcasses look like.

Last ranch I was on, 4 out of state trappers (who are known to many) trapped before me and showed the paying man 5 coyotes in 5 days... and said they caught 80.
Uh huh. All I saw was 2 coyote catch circles and raccoon catch circles everywhere. And screens blowing all over from bigger sized traps. You'd hold a black buck in a #3 around here! That'd be bad news.

That's why they hired me. I charged more than the 4 dudes, but hey we kill and show it all. On days we charge zip, we show pics of zip. And so forth. Truth in king to the money boys above all else and that has served me well. Very well.

Donna and I killed 32 in 13 checks and we showed all the coyotes to the payer.
I left about 6 coyotes that would not play ball.

I'd love to trap where there were 80 coyotes. Never seen it where high fences are in place and snares hung.

I guess it's a Texas thing. About how they hang the snare locks at 3 o'clock?????
Interesting.

Good pics BB!
Blessings,
Mark

Mark, this is the Duvall County ranch west of Freer. Low fence, this particular pasture is just under 6,000 acres and loaded with coyotes. The trappers there are using are reliable, the actual number was supposedly 85 and 38 I just rounded it. I have no way of knowing for sure if these numbers are reliable but more than half the coyotes and bobcats were taken with getters I'm told. They seem to think they got their money's worth so I won't argue with them. I did see and hear coyotes every day so there's a pile of them left. It's interesting to hear the perspective of someone on the other side of it.

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144168
01/19/21 07:43 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I'm also in Duvall right now. Low fence would have coyotes in and out and 6,000 acres would hold about 30 coyotes max as residents. The cats maybe as far as numbers and it depends how long they trapped. If they are using getters, then it's USDA as hardly any of us use them privately anymore. Triplicate paperwork and the dogs only hit them about 4 days then.... nada for them.

80 I could believe if it was a yearly effort on low fence.

We are north of Freer about 7 miles or so. High fence but no predator skirting.

I have trapped right around 35 ranches in 13 years I guess and I bet you 30 of them had trappers who caught "80" coyotes. I just think it's kinda weird about that number. It may be true of course where you were. Never where I've been and assessed the situation end to end. The reason it's important is I have to give an honest assessment to my ranch managers and I give all a detailed report when I finish.

Bottom line is this: Is the fawn or exotic calf crop UP next year. From maybe a .02-.08 to 1.2 to 1.4? If so, I'm doing my job. My job is not to kill coyotes. My job is to increase fawn production.

I have found that 80 coyotes "killed" prior to me did not increase fawn production, yet my killing 30 coyotes increases the production exponentially. Interesting.
It's called "proof is in the pudding."

Works every time to cement our efforts and solidify their reasons to pay me.
Glad you enjoyed the area brother!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144169
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD
One of the best years of my life was 2009-10, working a 114,000 acre ranch between Carrizo Springs and Eagle Pass. Worked hard , scouting, guiding, doing various maintenance. Also played hard. I miss all those critters!

And guys that said they would eat the javalina , ought to smell one first! Hogs yes, javalina nah. Pests is correct.

Thanks Bernie, enjoyed the pics. Brings back memories, I’ll be pulling my album out to reminisce!

John

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144545
01/19/21 11:54 AM
01/19/21 11:54 AM
New Mexico
C
coytrpr Offline
trapper
coytrpr  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Everyone should be aware that javelina are a protected game species in Texas. In areas of the state with a season the annual bag limit is 2 javelinas. Some parts of the state do not have an open season. Other areas are open year round and some areas are open for a few months. Waste of meat regulations also apply and failure to salvage the meat for human consumption is a violation of state hunting regulations. Every individual has the responsibility of being aware of what the laws and regulations are and abiding by them and not the good old boy code. Too many things being posted on this site are putting trappers in a bad light.

Dave

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: JoMiBru] #7144641
01/19/21 01:12 PM
01/19/21 01:12 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
Originally Posted by JoMiBru
One of the best years of my life was 2009-10, working a 114,000 acre ranch between Carrizo Springs and Eagle Pass. Worked hard , scouting, guiding, doing various maintenance. Also played hard. I miss all those critters!

And guys that said they would eat the javalina , ought to smell one first! Hogs yes, javalina nah. Pests is correct.

Thanks Bernie, enjoyed the pics. Brings back memories, I’ll be pulling my album out to reminisce!

John

If I went by smell on the outside of things I ate, I wouldn't be eating half the bears that I do! lol. Might smell bad outside, but those babies are tasty inside!

We drove through Eagle Pass when I was down there on my honeymoon! Interesting looking town, we didn't stop! Bought a boatload of pecans I think just north of there though.....mmmmmmm mmmmmmm good! Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: How we do it in south Texas [Re: BernieB.] #7144648
01/19/21 01:17 PM
01/19/21 01:17 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I watch the show Lone Star Law quite a bit. I'm amazed at how small the deer are body-wise in Texas compared to MN. A deer in MN with some of the antlers of Texas bucks harvested would have a much larger body.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread