No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Poacher busted [Re: 330-Trapper] #7150591
01/23/21 07:58 AM
01/23/21 07:58 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Everyone says

To each their own....but dosent mean it

Very insightful. And almost always - always - true.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7150600
01/23/21 08:20 AM
01/23/21 08:20 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
As to the OP's question. My thoughts are I'm glad he got busted. He didnt register his deer. Why cause his friends would be mad. He didn't make a mistake, he didn't misunderstand, he knew he was breaking the law, throw the book at him.

As to the hunting over bait or for big antlers, yeah that's ok with me. I have friends who hunt only mature white tails and I have friends who hunt if its brown its down and I am in between. I like to shoot a big doe but will take any size legal buck. We ask people who hunt with us not to shoot fawns cause 1/2 are bucks and need 3 inches of antler to fill a buck tag but sometimes someone doesn't listen or care and shoots a fawn that's fine but we only allow two deer for each person. If you shoot three deer you will donate it to someone in the group who didn't get one or two. Had a few (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off guys over the years shoot the first two deer they saw, twin fawns, and get mad about the amount of meat lol. Like you shot it dont complain. Had one start cussing everyone out, grabbed his stuff threatened everyone again and took off. Not invited back lol.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Poacher busted [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7150606
01/23/21 08:36 AM
01/23/21 08:36 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
This is a story showcasing antler envy suffered by all involved at it's finest. Or at it's worst depending on you point of view.

Eh...wot?

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7150611
01/23/21 08:45 AM
01/23/21 08:45 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Ive never known a "meat hunter" that would shoot a doe that was standing next to a young buck. Cant eat them antlers, eh....bye, bye little buck.

To each his own.

Then I guess you don't know too many. I, and most other meat hunters, would take the bigger deer whether or not it had antlers. In most cases that's going to be the buck.

I shoot the first legal deer to come along unless its a ridiculously small fawn. Then I shoot the second legal deer to present a shot and usually the third. Sometimes I get lucky and get a fourth in a season.

If a giant-racked buck came along I'd shoot him too. But I don't lay awake at night thinking about him. I don't even pass on smaller deer waiting for him.

My freezer is full of deer meat as a result of those policies.

It will soon be full of venison-apple sausage and venison scrapple as well.

Eh...wot?

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7150670
01/23/21 09:56 AM
01/23/21 09:56 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by BernieB.
It scored 208 so there's that. The point is that the buck would have been world class in two years

208 inches is world class.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: Posco] #7150703
01/23/21 10:16 AM
01/23/21 10:16 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Posco
It scored 208 so there's that. The point is that the buck would have been world class in two years

I guess that is subjective. To me world class is something like the top 50 of all time. Certainly a 208 would be world class in Maine. In the Midwest there are dozens of 200+ inch bucks shot ever year.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7150739
01/23/21 10:34 AM
01/23/21 10:34 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook

I guess that is subjective. To me world class is something like the top 50 of all time. Certainly a 208 would be world class in Maine. In the Midwest there are dozens of 200+ inch bucks shot ever year.

And those are world class deer. Probably should take a look at the B&C books, that will give you an idea of what's out there. I don't know if Milo Hanson's buck is still #1 but it didn't net much beyond what you're talking at the 208 inch mark.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7150787
01/23/21 11:15 AM
01/23/21 11:15 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota

And those are world class deer. Probably should take a look at the B&C books, that will give you an idea of what's out there. I don't know if Milo Hanson's buck is still #1 but it didn't net much beyond what you're talking at the 208 inch mark.
[/quote]

I am very familiar with the B&C books believe me. Milo's buck is the reigning typical. This is a nontypical.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7150980
01/23/21 02:09 PM
01/23/21 02:09 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
I love hunting big deer. I’ve killed some great deer.
I am unafraid to pass up deer in hopes they get to be big deer.
I wish my oldest son would quit doing that and kill a dang deer.
I also love deer meat so in the end, I kill a deer each year.
If I had to pay money to get access to hunt big deer I’d find another hobby.
$12000 to hunt deer makes me laugh.
This whole scenario is just bizarre.

Last edited by rvsask; 01/23/21 02:09 PM.
Re: Poacher busted [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7150985
01/23/21 02:16 PM
01/23/21 02:16 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Ive never known a "meat hunter" that would shoot a doe that was standing next to a young buck. Cant eat them antlers, eh....bye, bye little buck.

To each his own.

Almost always take the big doe, could care less about that rack

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Poacher busted [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7151052
01/23/21 03:22 PM
01/23/21 03:22 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Originally Posted by forestman3
First if you have to hunt over bait you need a lesson on hunting.JMO Second if I paid to hunt their and then was told not to kill the big one,I would be like what`s the point.I liked the whole deer hunting thing more when I was a kid and we had a blast killing 100 inch deer and everybody hunted on everybodys ground.Hardly evan remember seeing posted signs then.It sure has went down hill I think.

After your first sentence, nothing else you typed really mattered. As slamming other hunters method of hunting is the biggest reason hunting has went downhill. JMO

First off I'm not slamming anyone, but I would not call setting in a shack watching a bait pile hunting. It seems like shooting to me. Kind of reminds me of the time I exchanged words here with some guys the rode around in argos and shot game from them. To me that is not hunting. In 1971 I learned a lot about hunting. After lots of years walking around in the woods and shooting deer (hunting). I went to CO for a deer hunt. IMO, for the past fifty years if you have the money to spend you can kill whatever you want. BTW, i guide bear shooters in Maine, they pay their money and set it a tree and shoot a bear when it comes to the bait. Shooting not hunting in my book.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 01/23/21 03:32 PM.
Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7151075
01/23/21 03:38 PM
01/23/21 03:38 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
[

First off I'm not slamming anyone, but I would not call setting in a shack watching a bait pile hunting. It seems like shooting to me. Kind of reminds me of the time I exchanged words here with some guys the rode around in argos and shot game from them. To me that is not hunting. In 1971 I learned a lot about hunting. After lots of years walking around in the woods and shooting deer (hunting). I went to CO for a deer hunt. IMO, for the past fifty years if you have the money to spend you can kill whatever you want. BTW, i guide bear shooters in Maine, they pay their money and set it a tree and shoot a bear when it comes to the bait. Shooting not hunting in my book.
[/quote]

Well you don't get to decide for anyone but yourself. Hunters and trappers need to stand together. Different species, different habitats, all call for different styles of hunting. If you don't like it you don't have to do it, but don't disrespect other hunters because they don't do it the way you like to.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7151079
01/23/21 03:40 PM
01/23/21 03:40 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
You guys have to understand that, as Pennsylvanians, ebsurveyor and I have never been allowed to bait anything. We have been required by law to actually go out and hunt critters in their natural environment as opposed to sitting by a bait pile and shooting them when they get hungry.

Having hunted that way all our lives tends to make us look down on that other method.

Eh...wot?

Re: Poacher busted [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7151513
01/23/21 09:29 PM
01/23/21 09:29 PM
Huntingdon Co. Pa.
F
forestman3 Offline
trapper
forestman3  Offline
trapper
F

Huntingdon Co. Pa.
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Originally Posted by forestman3
First if you have to hunt over bait you need a lesson on hunting.JMO Second if I paid to hunt their and then was told not to kill the big one,I would be like what`s the point.I liked the whole deer hunting thing more when I was a kid and we had a blast killing 100 inch deer and everybody hunted on everybodys ground.Hardly evan remember seeing posted signs then.It sure has went down hill I think.

After your first sentence, nothing else you typed really mattered. As slamming other hunters method of hunting is the biggest reason hunting has went downhill. JMO

So looking at this type of hunting the way I do is the downfall of hunting?Are you serious.Take a kid and put him in a stand over bait and let him kill a deer.After he kills it(lets say I run into him at the gas station with a nice buck on the back of his truck) so I say great buck,where you hunting around some rubs?And the kid says ,Whats a rub?So I say ,where you hunting over some scraps? And the kid says whats a scrap?So I say did you rattle him in? Kid says how do you rattle?So I say did you hunt over a good food source? Kid says I sure did ,you should of seen all the deer that came to that big corn pile my dad put out.You keep blaming people like me if it makes you feel better.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7151567
01/23/21 09:59 PM
01/23/21 09:59 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
but I would not call setting in a shack watching a bait pile hunting. It seems like shooting to me.Shooting not hunting in my book.

My exact sentiments.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: Savell] #7151633
01/23/21 10:45 PM
01/23/21 10:45 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Savell
... let the record show that 52 Carl likes his wide and massive lol

... as far as this south tx nonsense goes... I always hoped it wouldn’t make it east but it has

.. and to those talking “division “ ... I’d rather raise beef if I’m going to raise anything... hunting isn’t animal husbandry

Good eye! smile

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7151642
01/23/21 10:56 PM
01/23/21 10:56 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
In my opinion there is not much sporting about paying big money to kill a big buck that knows what time the corn feeder kicks on for him to have an easy meal. A lot of “guided “ hunts are like this. Sit till the feeder kicks on, a bunch of deer pour out and the “guide” says pick which one you want. Real sport hunting is walking the woods looking for rubs, scrapes, trails, etc. Trying your best to minimize your scent, being in the woods during prime rut activity, etc. I will literally go the entire season looking for a buck with a nice rack to shoot. Ill wait till the last couple of weeks of the season then I go for meat. Does only, I let any buck I dont wish to mount walk. Then again I hunt private property so I have that luxury unlike many hunting club and public land hunters.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: T-REV] #7153433
01/25/21 07:40 AM
01/25/21 07:40 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by T-REV
In my opinion there is not much sporting about paying big money to kill a big buck that knows what time the corn feeder kicks on for him to have an easy meal. A lot of “guided “ hunts are like this. Sit till the feeder kicks on, a bunch of deer pour out and the “guide” says pick which one you want. Real sport hunting is walking the woods looking for rubs, scrapes, trails, etc. Trying your best to minimize your scent, being in the woods during prime rut activity, etc. I will literally go the entire season looking for a buck with a nice rack to shoot. Ill wait till the last couple of weeks of the season then I go for meat. Does only, I let any buck I dont wish to mount walk. Then again I hunt private property so I have that luxury unlike many hunting club and public land hunters.

Deer are not stupid, it doesn't work like that. Plus, as you can see by the terrain, there is no such thing as walking in the woods in the Texas brush country. Successful deer hunting techniques are an adaptation to the environment.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7153564
01/25/21 10:15 AM
01/25/21 10:15 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I sometimes feel sorry for folks that think hunting deer is sitting in a stand or stalking and shooting the first deer they see. Most kids down here outgrow that stage when they hit their teens.

Re: Poacher busted [Re: BernieB.] #7153569
01/25/21 10:25 AM
01/25/21 10:25 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
I will give you something to chew on , Most and I repeat most trophy bucks have something illegal attached to their taking ,You say what you want but its a fact!

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread