No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7150413
01/23/21 12:11 AM
01/23/21 12:11 AM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
My wife didn't complain too much when I bought a Rough Rider, she didn't like sharing her bearcat. She had it since she was old enough to carry it around the farm, shooting gophers and badgers. I can't hit anything beyond point blank with it, the sight picture is just awkward for me. But she thought the RR was ugly, that I should have bought something better. The fit and finish of the handle makes it a good candidate for a new set of grips. I haven't put enough rounds through it to know how well it shoots.

Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7150436
01/23/21 12:40 AM
01/23/21 12:40 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
with the multitude of old H&R and Iver Johnson break tops well out of patent you would think some one could make one in a 22lr very easily

had one in 32S&W and 38S&W but sold them they were very cheap to buy , my dad bought the 38 for me to take apart and work on

I spent a lot of hours with that gun and a Numrich catalog as a kid about 14-15

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7150444
01/23/21 12:50 AM
01/23/21 12:50 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I really like the looks of the bronze Wranglers, but they just too slow to load and unload for me and don't hold enough rounds. I much prefer a 8-10 shot revolver with a fold out cylinder and lighter weight. 4" barrel max, all I need for dispatching or the occasional rabbit.

Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: ~ADC~] #7150456
01/23/21 01:06 AM
01/23/21 01:06 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I really like the looks of the bronze Wranglers, but they just too slow to load and unload for me and don't hold enough rounds. I much prefer a 8-10 shot revolver with a fold out cylinder and lighter weight. 4" barrel max, all I need for dispatching or the occasional rabbit.

a swing out crane would be nice but these are simple

I no longer have to unload to get back in the truck. not since Nov 2011

I suppose if I was walking down 2 tracks resetting a few dozen DP's and filling the truck with high dollar coon greater efficiency in dispatch reloading might be needed.

a cylinder full will do me for most days, at most 1 reload.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7150517
01/23/21 03:32 AM
01/23/21 03:32 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Pete - Nice new sidearm. Ruger will cut frills but will never cut quality and safety. I have wondered how it shoots compared to the Single Six. My Single Six has the 6-1/2” barrel which is nice. I added fiber optic sights.
A trapper needs a good reliable accurate .22 handgun. And there are SO many good ones!

The Bearcat is a little jewell. I was going to buy one last January but bought something else instead. If things ever somewhat normalize I will buy a stainless Bearcat with adjustable sights.

My first trapline handgun was a very used nickel H&R .22 double action revolver. Loading and unloading required removal of the cylinder. The timing was so bad that about half of the bullet went out at the sides. I really wanted a Colt Woodsman, but they were way out of my price range. So I started drooling over a Browning Challenger and cut out of Field & Stream a photo of one and put it on my desk. That Christmas after all gifts were opened and everyone was quiet and contemplating a gift, my Dad said it looks like a gift is somewhat hidden behind the tree. Someone retrieved it and surprisingly it was for me from Dad, not Dad and Mom. Mom looked puzzled. I was puzzled. I unwrapped a brand new Browning Challenger. Dad said that he saw how hard I worked at trapping and because of my dedication he wanted me to have the best pistol. And because carrying that gun gave me a big boost of confidence I became a much better trapper. Dad told Mom that it was a man gift. Nobody said - “You’ll shoot your eye out.”

I carried the Challenger on my adventures and got good enough with it to draw and shoot rooster pheasants that flushed while trapping.

I still want a Colt Woodsman. Does anyone have one?

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7150638
01/23/21 09:19 AM
01/23/21 09:19 AM
ontario canada
K
Knappett Offline
trapper
Knappett  Offline
trapper
K

ontario canada
I have the single six with the spare cylinder so you can shoot 22mag as well, its a decent gun

Re: load 1 skip 1, load 4 more [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7153228
01/24/21 11:07 PM
01/24/21 11:07 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
well I went to the range to get it on paper the sights seem well regulated for the 36 and 40gr ammo I tried

the sights leave a little bit to be desired at 50 feet but it will do for the squirrel or rabbit of opportunity at 25 feet no problem, much better than my old 22 single action revolver

these were my first 6 at 25 feet the x ring on this target is the size of a quarter

[Linked Image]

its a 215 dollar revolver with fixed sight not a much more expensive bullseye gun

unloading is actually quite fast , yes 6 pulls of the ejector rod but holding the gun in my left rotating the cylinder the brass all ejected into my left hand easy to pocket and not leave a mess.
pull the ejector rod with right trigger finger . the cylinder free rotates in either direction so when you close up the loading gate rotate the cylinder till it locks

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread