Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Chatting with furbuyers #7134345
01/13/21 12:26 AM
01/13/21 12:26 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I notice that in the heat of the selling season (now) it's hard to find time to discuss with the buyer & figure out what they want (i.e. how they want it to look & to be put up). But when I see the buyers at the conventions, it is hard to talk to them about specific examples because ya don't have fur in front of you to discuss in a 1st hand 'hands on' fashion. It'd be nice if they would bring some examples to the shows of the good, the bad, & the ugly. That way I'd have a better idea of how to present them what they want when I show up at the rat wagon. Maybe at the next Rondy I'll spend my time at the skinning demos.

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7134407
01/13/21 02:31 AM
01/13/21 02:31 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
If Fur Harvesters has a table/both at your state convention, they some times have sample pelts with them to show you different features, etc. the skinning demos are great places to learn put up techniques.

Not sure where you are in Wisconsin but if it is the southern part of the state and it isn't fur season, you might be able to set up an appointment at the FHA depot in Cambridge. The head guy there loves talking fur handling and grading. You could spend hours there. Unfortunately during fur season he is a tad bit busy!! LOL

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7134723
01/13/21 11:42 AM
01/13/21 11:42 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Thanks

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7135799
01/13/21 11:38 PM
01/13/21 11:38 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Our local fur councils here put on at least one skinning workshop usually in march,I used to skin at 4 or 5 different council workshops nearby every year.
i do 2 or 3 of the closest ones now.
Lots of good experienced fur handlers at the workshops for the new guys to learn from hands on. [Linked Image]

Why dont you organize a trappers council in your community,do some community service and fundraising,and organize some skinning workshops and trapping field trips with the money you raise.
besides fundraising in the community,our councils apply for money from our provincial association to help run the workshops and fieldtrips.
Open it up to the community,and get the local media involved.They always like to cover local interest stories.We often have more people from the community attend the workshops and fieldtrips than we do trappers.
We also invite the Conservation officers and their families to attend so people can ask questions on any laws they are not sure of.

Last edited by Boco; 01/13/21 11:48 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7136050
01/14/21 02:20 AM
01/14/21 02:20 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin

The WTA and the WI DNR put on Fur schools for mostly non trappers here In WI. But we don't do fur grading.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7136287
01/14/21 10:09 AM
01/14/21 10:09 AM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
Recently I held a fur Handling Seminar here in Wyoming. The main reason being was to get folks together to discuss what is going on in the fur market and how to market their animals. we discussed fur grading per species and went over skinning and put up of each animal. There was a buyer there helping out with the demo buying fur on site and also going over everything on their end. It was thrown together kind of last minute and we didn't have the largest following but the time of year and the response was pretty awesome. We will continue to do it each year getting bigger as we go. Next year we are talking about possibly doing it in multiple locations throughout the season.

Most folks don't know to take the time to ask questions about how they can get better and when they see their fur prices less than others they usually feel the buyer is trying to scam them.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7137437
01/15/21 01:10 AM
01/15/21 01:10 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Great idea thedude, thanks for posting

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7138554
01/15/21 07:34 PM
01/15/21 07:34 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Going to a local auction will teach one a lot about grading & handling. From seeing how others do it (right or wrong) to talking with buyers. We always took time at the Colorado sale to discuss proper handling and promote learning. Grading is not rocket science but learning terminology and grades will help you be a better fur handler.

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7139481
01/16/21 09:24 AM
01/16/21 09:24 AM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I have only put up my own fur for the last 6 -8 years. I am getting better but still not where I want to be. My problem isnt skinning but to learn a more efficient ways of fleshing. My biggest problem is still big tuff older beavers or otters. All my fur put up learning has been trial and error. It would be nice to sit down and talk correct equipment and watch somebody that knows more of what they are doing.

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: AJE] #7140488
01/16/21 10:51 PM
01/16/21 10:51 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I'm going to look up FHA's booth, and the fur skinning demo, at our state Rondy. I don't think Wi has any auctions to attend.

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: thedude055] #7153927
01/25/21 04:56 PM
01/25/21 04:56 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Originally Posted by thedude055
Recently I held a fur Handling Seminar here in Wyoming. The main reason being was to get folks together to discuss what is going on in the fur market and how to market their animals. we discussed fur grading per species and went over skinning and put up of each animal. There was a buyer there helping out with the demo buying fur on site and also going over everything on their end. It was thrown together kind of last minute and we didn't have the largest following but the time of year and the response was pretty awesome. We will continue to do it each year getting bigger as we go. Next year we are talking about possibly doing it in multiple locations throughout the season.

Most folks don't know to take the time to ask questions about how they can get better and when they see their fur prices less than others they usually feel the buyer is trying to scam them.

Wish you would swing over to our side of the state and do a seminar, Laramie.
Buyers seem to like our put up but fleshing tips would be appreciated.
How to on grading of coyotes would be greatly appreciated also since they tend to bring good money for our area.

Re: Chatting with furbuyers [Re: wytex] #7154419
01/25/21 09:32 PM
01/25/21 09:32 PM
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Originally Posted by wytex
Originally Posted by thedude055

Wish you would swing over to our side of the state and do a seminar, Laramie.
Buyers seem to like our put up but fleshing tips would be appreciated.
How to on grading of coyotes would be greatly appreciated also since they tend to bring good money for our area.

Come to Coyote Days in August and get an education on all thing coyote!!
Coyote Days Lusk Wyoming August 20-21

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread