No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Foothold for coons??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7155806
01/26/21 03:57 PM
01/26/21 03:57 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Use #2s and your good to go for both coyotes and coon. I caught 10 coon this year In my coyotes sets and they were waiting for me. And some of those coon were caught In #3s.
If you want to kill a lot of coons get some 160s and trail set them.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Foothold for coons??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7155933
01/26/21 05:37 PM
01/26/21 05:37 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Buy what you can afford or nowdays what you can find ............

Duke 1 1/2 or dp hard to beat for the money.

Also are you carrying your stuff or driving up to the sets. Pocket full of marshmallows and a hand full of dps with cable and a loop on the end sure has piled up the coons over the years..

Last edited by jbyrd63; 01/26/21 05:39 PM.
Re: Foothold for coons??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7155949
01/26/21 05:50 PM
01/26/21 05:50 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Start out with a few dog proof traps. You will have faster success. You will still need to learn different skills for foot hold and body grip traps.

You should also get some foothold traps. This is very important - look for double jaw traps. (Send me a PM and I will explain.). A guy on here owns Wolf Creek trap company. He makes a #1 double coil double jaw trap. With a few modifications they are excellent coon traps.They are very affordable for a new guy.

I use dog proof traps for fur trapping and in my wildlife business. I want the most effective, most efficient, most reliable trap. With the dog proof traps that I use I do not have any misfires or pullouts.

The PCS Feather Light is by far the best dog proof trap. In my opinion all other dog proof traps have one or more weaknesses. The Feather Light has no weakness. It has a cast aluminum body, stainless steel trap components, a good chain with plenty of swivels, a substantial support / stabilizer, a pull only trigger, and is made in the USA. What more could be wanted in a dog proof trap? I am not affiliated with PCS in any way. This is my honest opinion. Give them a try.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Foothold for coons??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7155964
01/26/21 06:10 PM
01/26/21 06:10 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
DPs are very good for coon . They work in a lot of different situations like around domestics etc but they are a one trick pony . A good double jaw 1 1/2 is much more versatile . Good on mink and rats and hold red and gray fox well . They can be used in a variety of sets (pocket , pvc and trail sets etc ). If you want to target strictly coon (though you will pick up opossum and skunk) and mostly eliminate domestic non targets , go with DPs . IMO

Re: Foothold for coons??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7156005
01/26/21 06:50 PM
01/26/21 06:50 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
I have trapped in SE and North Central PA and in Central Iowa. Coons vary in size depending where you live. I am not sure of Illinois coon but I would bet 20+ pounds is a big coon, here in Iowa it takes 30+ to be huge and in Pa 18+ was huge (unless in NC PA then 20+).

I have caught and held coons in everything from #1 long-springs (switch chain switched from the spring side) up to #3 coils and long springs. I have found that any good #1 1/2 coil-spring works great as a coon trap. Duke makes a fine and reasonable #1 1/2 coil, just file the trap pan and dog flat and square, I like ZERO tension on them if I am using them in water, as the light tension will help catch more mink and muskrats. If coon trapping on dry land I tighten the tension to around 2 pounds to allow a firm foot hold instead of possible toe catches.

160/220 Body Grippers in trails are deadly, especially is using H stands. I also do quite well using the 160's in boxes with some modifications.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions

Mike [Linked Image]

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread