Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Boarding beaver #7156486
01/26/21 10:51 PM
01/26/21 10:51 PM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline OP
trapper
Tommie  Offline OP
trapper
T

middle tennessee
I remember seeing a guy one time show in his fur shed marks up on his wall that told what rings to put beavers on , but I don’t remember where I seen it. Can someone tell me what the measurements are so I can put them on the wall so I can just hold them up and go from there .

Re: Boarding beaver [Re: Tommie] #7156788
01/27/21 01:26 AM
01/27/21 01:26 AM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Better yet, [Linked Image]
to obtain the proper size for a pelt grasp the nose and the centre of the hind end of the pelt then centre the pelt equally across the width wise centre line of the board. Then grab the sides of the pelt at the lengthwise centre line of the board and stretch the pelt taut equal distance along the centre line from the centre point of the board, one side to the top of the board and the other side to the bottom. This is the proper size of the pelt for boarding purposes and guideline ring to follow. Now rotate the pelt 90 degrees, aligning the head and tail end to the lengthwise centre line of board. If you are midway between two sizes, tack to the larger size. If less than midway, tack between the sizes.

Another way to explain the procedure is to center the pelt on the crosshairs on your board with head and butt end across the narrow mid section. Then grip the sides of the pelt at the length wise centerline with you hands and stretch the pelt as tight as possible along this line, equally to the board top and bottom. The ring that the pelt stretches to is the line to nail to.

In my opinion this method is easier than others and results in few, if any, alterations and no overstretched pelts. Even a beginner is able to get it right every time without any problem.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Boarding beaver [Re: Tommie] #7156829
01/27/21 02:25 AM
01/27/21 02:25 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Take the green hide and hold It by the nose and drag It across the board till the nose hits the outer most ring. Where the tail end hits that's the ring you will use all the way around. In other words If the tail end lands on the 3rd ring In from the outer edge that's the ring you will use.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Boarding beaver [Re: Tommie] #7159921
01/29/21 01:29 AM
01/29/21 01:29 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Nail the nose and the tail on the ring you think it should go.
Then put the two side nails in.You will know now if its too tight or too loose,and adjust those 4 nails.
After you do a bunch you will be close to right on every time by just eyeballing it.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Boarding beaver [Re: Tommie] #7161763
01/30/21 08:42 AM
01/30/21 08:42 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I saw the same thing a few years back and made the following marks on my fur shed wall, really never used it but I thought the principle was interesting. I fold mine in half length wise pull nose & tail end over my board rings and utilize whatever ring it relaxes to- usually close with little or no adjustment. I'd be interested to hear how close these measurement correlate to ring size.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Length Size Ring

42" Kit 7
47" SM 6
51" M 5
55" M-L 4
60" L 3
65" XL 2
72" 2XL 1
80" 3XL 0

I made my ring templates according to NAFA Standards
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Eagleye; 01/30/21 09:03 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread