No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How many Men to haul this in the Basement ? [Re: Canvasback2] #7164664
02/01/21 12:28 AM
02/01/21 12:28 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
same idea as the lighter one you did , just that it is heavier

your going to need more mass or anchor at the top of the ramp.

a chain fall would let you lower it slowly , a winch would also be great ,

a rope brake could also work rope brakes get used in lowering large limbs from trees and sections of trees , you will see round tubes attached to the bumpers of tree crew trucks polished smooth fromteh friction of the rope a few wraps and you can really slow down a lot of weight.

working with more weight I would probably cut some stops that keep the planks from sliding out , you could even make it with just 2 2x8 and put 2x4 on each side creating a set of rails dow the stairs you could still walk up and down them fairly easy then. this woudl keep the lathe centered on the rails

I would bolt some doubled up 2x6 to the base if the lathe as skids cut the ends at 45

easiest if you don't have a group of friends or a lot of equipment and if you could get a tow truck to the door to the stairs
have your planks layed out and ready have the skids and some cross bracing under the lathe

hire a flat bed tow truck who could easily back up to your garage or where ever you are keeping the lathe , hitch to the skids that you bolted a chain to , pull it up on the flat bed they can adjust the angles of the bed so much it should be an easy slide , then he pulls around and sets the flat bed perfect to start letting out with the winch and let it slide all the way down the planks always controlled by the winch in under an hour and for the price of a tow you can likely get it down there.

if the tow truck is out of the question , build the skids and mount the lathe to the skids , skid the lathe around to the back yard with a winch or come along

I am not a big fan of releasing come alongs but it can be done you could lower it like that although that would be a good time for a rope brake ,

when the lathe is around to the opening and ramped over the lip of the top step with it secured so it can't run away on you start cribbing up the other end so that it wants to slide down the stairs , when it goes tight on the chain you set to stop it you should be high enough , start letting out rope , chain , winch ext

if you had a freind with an ATV and a winch that could make this faster , just make sure that the ATV is strapped off to a tree or something so it can't follow the lathe down the stairs

the winch is what you use to lower but you keep a backup chain to something there also as a backup let it out a foot re chain a foot longer , repeat if your cable breaks it only slips inches

adding that as you get to the basment floor , wheeled dollies that can hold that much weight might be harder to find althoug car dollies could work , if you have pipes around they need to be the same size but you can use them to roll over skidding it around and when you get to the basement floor.

the church I used to go too was moved about 1/4 mile the building was on big skids , and rolled over logs the logs once no longer under the church were moved to the front again. a team of horses pulled the church very slowly with a big block and tackle

there were many pictures of the move.

if you can move a church that seats 150 people on skids over logs less than a ton shouldn't be so hard.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/01/21 12:36 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: How many Men to haul this in the Basement ? [Re: Canvasback2] #7164675
02/01/21 12:43 AM
02/01/21 12:43 AM
IA, WI, ND, IL
M
martyd Offline
trapper
martyd  Offline
trapper
M

IA, WI, ND, IL
Better make sure your steps can hold it ! MD

Re: How many Men to haul this in the Basement ? [Re: martyd] #7164683
02/01/21 12:51 AM
02/01/21 12:51 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by martyd
Better make sure your steps can hold it ! MD

he said they were concrete but it would be a sad set of steps that can't hold 800 pound 3 people walking up a set of stairs is an easy 800 pounds or it is with my crew everyone is pushing close to 300 pounds a little guy is 225

one step not taking it sure but distributed over 6 steps should be fine

concrete should take a lot more

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: How many Men to haul this in the Basement ? [Re: Canvasback2] #7164782
02/01/21 06:44 AM
02/01/21 06:44 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
They built the pyramids... you can do it lol. Moved a Bridgeport base into a friends basement, shored up the staircase and mounted a chain hoist over the stairs and had a come along across the door opening -took it one step at a time. I told him I'm busy if he ever moves.

Last edited by Eagleye; 02/01/21 06:45 AM.
Re: How many Men to haul this in the Basement ? [Re: jbyrd63] #7164828
02/01/21 08:16 AM
02/01/21 08:16 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Take it apart . Lay you some 2 by 8 or 10 on the steps. Find some one with a winch on vehicle and slide it down the boards. side by side winch should work.

Thats how i changed out my furnace boiler used my 4 wheller winch

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread