No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fear of Death [Re: snowy] #7165314
02/01/21 05:06 PM
02/01/21 05:06 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Originally Posted by snowy
I don't fear death I won't be alone. What I do fear is nursing home and a poor quality of life at the end. I want to just drop in my happy hunting grounds some place.

X2 I want to go pulling my last beaver trap, that way I have all traps pulled and don't have to skin'um. Lol

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7165368
02/01/21 06:38 PM
02/01/21 06:38 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Some have deep dived into the English definition of fear and then transitioned to a religious context. That'd shift the meaning as the theology of the term in Hebrew, and Greek in an orthodox sense would land closer to the English word; "Obey." As in fear the Lord your God meaning obeying Him. It's a whole doctrine so that's sure a 30,000 view but a secular meaning of the English word fear = phobia, was more of what I was aiming at in my OP.

Good insight from many of here.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7165372
02/01/21 06:45 PM
02/01/21 06:45 PM
Hutchinson KS
K
Kansas Rook Offline
trapper
Kansas Rook  Offline
trapper
K

Hutchinson KS

Originally Posted by Mark June
Some have deep dived into the English definition of fear and then transitioned to a religious context. That'd shift the meaning as the theology of the term in Hebrew, and Greek in an orthodox sense would land closer to the English word; "Obey." As in fear the Lord your God meaning obeying Him. It's a whole doctrine so that's sure a 30,000 view but a secular meaning of the English word fear = phobia, was more of what I was aiming at in my OP.

Blessings,
Mark

Philippians 2:12

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Obey doesn't fit as well here. so many things lost in translation or even punctuation for that matter. Glad to able to speak on it though. "As iron sharpens iron....."

Re: Fear of Death [Re: Kansas Rook] #7165404
02/01/21 07:30 PM
02/01/21 07:30 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Kansas Rook

Blessings,
Mark

Philippians 2:12

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Obey doesn't fit as well here. so many things lost in translation or even punctuation for that matter. Glad to able to speak on it though. "As iron sharpens iron....."

The original Koine Greek is more precise;

"obeyed" is akousate in Greek meaning "listened to" and the word fear is phobou in the Greek tense aligning very well with yirâ in Hebrew meaning "reverence."

Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7165422
02/01/21 07:47 PM
02/01/21 07:47 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin

Blessings,
Mark

The original Koine Greek is more precise;

"obeyed" is akousate in Greek meaning "listened to" and the word fear is phobou in the Greek tense aligning very well with yirâ in Hebrew meaning "reverence."

Or godly fear or fear of displeasing.

Re: Fear of Death [Re: Pike River] #7165582
02/01/21 09:34 PM
02/01/21 09:34 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
"Wil I die in a horrible Car accident ? Will I die a long , lingering painful Death; after suffering through years of various Cancer treatments and surgeries to stop the Cancer; only to find out that it was all for nothing."

Pastor Mark, have you ever watched someone you loved dearly and have spent a life time with, suffer for several years as cancer ate away their body? Have you cared for that special someone, taking care of all their needs and watching them suffer? Have you spent hours listening to them moan guttural, painful, sorrowful sounds? Have you ever spent hours, months and years praying to have your prayers unheard and unanswered?

If you had experienced such things you might have a different perspective on a lot of things and how they actually work.

Re: Fear of Death [Re: Mac] #7165587
02/01/21 09:41 PM
02/01/21 09:41 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Mac
"Wil I die in a horrible Car accident ? Will I die a long , lingering painful Death; after suffering through years of various Cancer treatments and surgeries to stop the Cancer; only to find out that it was all for nothing."

Pastor Mark, have you ever watched someone you loved dearly and have spent a life time with, suffer for several years as cancer ate away their body? Have you cared for that special someone, taking care of all their needs and watching them suffer? Have you spent hours listening to them moan guttural, painful, sorrowful sounds? Have you ever spent hours, months and years praying to have your prayers unheard and unanswered?

If you had experienced such things you might have a different perspective on a lot of things and how they actually work.

Yep sure have.My father and uncle and grandfather.

Nevada bound
Re: Fear of Death [Re: Mac] #7165698
02/01/21 10:58 PM
02/01/21 10:58 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Mac

Mac,
I'm not a pastor. I'm a theology student who interns with hospice patients currently. Hospice as in: they're dying.
Curious why the harshness?
Was this thread a threat of insensitivity somehow?
Are you irritated with me or are you irritated with God? Not sure as I read your post.
I'm curious what perspective you'd inject into me to give me a different perspective?
I welcome your thoughts.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7165971
02/02/21 08:41 AM
02/02/21 08:41 AM
PA Venango Co.
R
Ron Marsh Offline
trapper
Ron Marsh  Offline
trapper
R

PA Venango Co.
Neither do I fear death, or rush the coming of the event. Planning for many years here and eternity there.

PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM
Stakes: Why leave them?
ALWAYS John 3:16 814-516-2923
Re: Fear of Death [Re: Ron Marsh] #7166095
02/02/21 11:01 AM
02/02/21 11:01 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Death to me is an end point of one aspect of one's life, so to me I don't fear death but the process of getting there sure can be painful, fearful, eventful for many and from my experience those closely related to the deceased or soon to be deceased more so then the dying person. Fear, like anger, joy etc. is a human behavior, how we deal with our God given human emotions and feelings to me is the important aspect.

Bryce

Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7166102
02/02/21 11:05 AM
02/02/21 11:05 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Little deviation if you don't mind. How is our faith tested when we cross the divide, is Satan there waiting for us to contest our right? Does our testimony overpower him? Something I've pondered from time to time.

Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7166115
02/02/21 11:15 AM
02/02/21 11:15 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
All men die. Not all men truly live. " I think that's from " brave heart"

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7166124
02/02/21 11:22 AM
02/02/21 11:22 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
" God is within us. The devil is within us"! I can't remember where I read that.

We are free to act and receive either the rewards or the punishment of our actions.

"Lust of the flesh, wanting things of this earth then your heart doesn't have God in it"!

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7166572
02/02/21 06:34 PM
02/02/21 06:34 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

We had a scholar from the field of psychology today speak at today's chapel and she made a number of worthy statements based on research of those who are terminal and "suffering."

In a summary of what was a deep topic she said the vast >95% of friends, family, loved ones, etc. of the one diagnosed with terminal illness who was experiencing immense suffering during their illness asked one question, and usually only one question, "Why?"

The patient themselves, or at least > 60% of the sufferers never wonder about the "why?" She said that's a cultural narrative from the motion picture and entertainment industry.
In real life, in robust psychology research, the norm for these people is that they relay they have an unexplainable feeling on the clarity of life, it's place, it's value, and it's worth.
Often mentioned is the hope that they hold onto that feeling until they pass. Many worry meds will cloud it and often meds do cloud it.
Early Church Father Augustine called it "the sweetness."

Fascinating how the living worry about the what ifs, yet those who are in the actual seat called terminal illness, and who suffer, often say that matters not at all.
I can link that chapel later as it's posted if anyones interested.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7166690
02/02/21 08:27 PM
02/02/21 08:27 PM
CF MINNESOTA
T
TRAPPER JON MK Offline
trapper
TRAPPER JON MK  Offline
trapper
T

CF MINNESOTA
Well said Mark

Kids who hunt,fish and trap don't mug little old ladies
Re: Fear of Death [Re: ] #7166695
02/02/21 08:35 PM
02/02/21 08:35 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
When my mother was passing from cancer. I asked her 2 ?s. Have you spoken to God. What did he say. Her answer to my first ? Was yes. The answer to my second ? Gave me peace. She told me God is not finished building my house. Until my house is finished I will have too wait. To this day I recollect that day. I smile every time I think of that moment. So no I have no fear of death. I do hope and pray that I am worthy though to enter the kingdom.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread