No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7165988
02/02/21 09:02 AM
02/02/21 09:02 AM
Finger Lakes region, NY
Fireplug Offline OP
trapper
Fireplug  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes region, NY
Public parking lot, into a huge swamp. No place to really effectively hide a camera. No tracks in the snow, they came in after my check and then we got 3" of snow. Another 6" last night.

In my past, before kids, things would have ended differently.

What my son wanted was a confrontation and revenge. I get that. But I don't think he needs to see me ending up charged with assault over a few traps. Too many years wearing a badge and having to do what was legally correct even when you knew the "victim" was deserving of the butt-kicking they received.

Last edited by Fireplug; 02/02/21 09:21 AM.
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166007
02/02/21 09:16 AM
02/02/21 09:16 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Fireplug
Public parking lot, into a huge swamp. No place to really effectively hide a camera. No tracks in the snow, they came in after my check and then we got 3" of snow. Another 6" last night.

What my son wanted was a confrontation and revenge. I get that. But I don't think he needs to see me ending up charged with assault over a few traps.

You're right about that!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166029
02/02/21 09:55 AM
02/02/21 09:55 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Trap thieves are bad enough but in today’s world there are exponentially more self righteous hypocrites out there who think if they don’t like it they can do or say anything to change things to their liking.
I’m insulated a bit from it far in the bush but do see issues from deer hunters and winter snowmobiles. I sympathize with you guys with fewer options. Wether game or steel, theft is theft.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166064
02/02/21 10:35 AM
02/02/21 10:35 AM
Finger Lakes region, NY
Fireplug Offline OP
trapper
Fireplug  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes region, NY
Self-righteous is the correct term for some of these people. We live in the country, but our back pasture is along a state route travelled by a lot of Perrier sipping, Volvo-driving, Birkenstock-wearing hoity-toity jerkwaters from Rochester who have started moving out "to the country".

One if these idiots called Animal control because our small flock of sheep were being abused. They claimed there was no food (sheep were all standing in a 3 acre grass field), no water (4 20 gallon stock tanks in that pasture, filled up), and the sheep were chained up on lines. They were on lines, with collars on so these 150+ pound sheep didn't walk into the road. Don't care if the bleeding heart liberals crash, but the sheep are expensive to replace. Needless to say, the AC officer was at my place about 2 minutes, laughing the whole time.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166069
02/02/21 10:39 AM
02/02/21 10:39 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Public parking lot, into a huge swamp. No place to really effectively hide a camera. .

I meant cams near sets, not pkg lot, but I do know some places are treeless.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166110
02/02/21 11:11 AM
02/02/21 11:11 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Fire...
I am very careful about my bear baits and trap/snare locations especially in snow. When I leave a trail on snow machine I try to leave it thru thick little pines. I push thru the first boughs then use a personal urine bottle to spray some snow. Curious people can’t see and don’t go much farther. They just figured someone relieved themselves.
Sounds extreme I know but our snowmobile trail systems are great veins into good country and snowmobiles can be curious folks. Helps when others follow my off the main trail runs. Cage traps are expensive.
Maybe a variant of this caution will work for you and your son.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Osky] #7166120
02/02/21 11:18 AM
02/02/21 11:18 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Osky
Sounds extreme I know

Osky

I do something similar, Osky. Even though I'm on hard to access, posted, private ground, I still have traps stolen. I'm almost always trapping in snow. I lay down a lot of tracks with my wheeler where I have no intention of ever placing traps. A lot of dead ends that might discourage someone from following me everywhere I go. As far as I can tell, the guy or guys who stole my traps and camera were on foot. If nothing else, I make them work for it.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166136
02/02/21 11:31 AM
02/02/21 11:31 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Lost a MB550 and coyote this year to a thief. Trapped this farm 45 years and never a problem. Told the farm hands (new guys, young men) I had coyote traps on the next farm as they were clearing trees and brush on the adjacent farm. The one said he had trapped coyotes. Next day --gone. Coincidence?
Trail cam going up next season, the two track follow a stand of large trees.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Posco] #7166144
02/02/21 11:40 AM
02/02/21 11:40 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Osky
Sounds extreme I know

Osky

I do something similar, Osky. Even though I'm on hard to access, posted, private ground, I still have traps stolen. I'm almost always trapping in snow. I lay down a lot of tracks with my wheeler where I have no intention of ever placing traps. A lot of dead ends that might discourage someone from following me everywhere I go. As far as I can tell, the guy or guys who stole my traps and camera were on foot. If nothing else, I make them work for it.

Sadly there is nothing new to us in this age old trap theft problem. Guy just does what he can. The numbers of thieves or “do gooders” is just thru the roof.
Never had a person stop or otherwise question me on a dirt road while loading up a deer or bunch of pheasants/ducks on the back tail gate but let it be fox or other fur and a few traps in view and they will and have.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166171
02/02/21 12:05 PM
02/02/21 12:05 PM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline
trapper
Dillrod  Offline
trapper

S/W Mich.
I would teach my son how to trap a thief.
Cameras and junky traps as bait stations.
Odds are the thief will return looking for more ill gotten gains.
He might learn a lot about the tainted side of human nature and the boundaries of legal justice.
A great opportunity to learn about life as you grow.

JMO

"Some Domestication Required "

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166201
02/02/21 12:37 PM
02/02/21 12:37 PM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Online content
trapper
newfox1  Online Content
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Mark your traps so you can tell the warden, he can ID the trap as yours once he finds the perp.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166204
02/02/21 12:38 PM
02/02/21 12:38 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Osky, we all know that I'd you own a snowmobile in this state that it automatically gives you permission to trespass. Once a trail is made, even on private property, any passing sleds will follow it. Should you ever catch them they claim they where lost and just trying to find their way even after they just tore up a field.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7166256
02/02/21 01:42 PM
02/02/21 01:42 PM
Finger Lakes region, NY
Fireplug Offline OP
trapper
Fireplug  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes region, NY
Camera doesnt seem possible where traps were taken from.
Here's the valley in the early fall.

[Linked Image]

The muskrat ponds are kinda in the middle of a 1/2 mile wide valley. No trees anywhere close. I had thought about a little guerilla war on the thieves, but that will definitely send the wrong message to the boy.

Probably just pull traps here when the snow gets deep. Funny thing is, the bozo stepped right over a Bridger #3 on a drag to steal these 3 rat traps. Guess we blended that set pretty good.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7170928
02/06/21 03:46 AM
02/06/21 03:46 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK

What my son wanted was a confrontation and revenge. I get that. But I don't think he needs to see me ending up charged with assault over a few traps. Too many years wearing a badge and having to do what was legally correct even when you knew the "victim" was deserving of the butt-kicking they received.

You're right, he doesn't need to see you charged with assault. But it wouldn't hurt him to see you exercise the formality of reporting it to the law. Beats doing nothing.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7171010
02/06/21 08:14 AM
02/06/21 08:14 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Trap theft sucks, but unfortunately it happens . Most of you didn't trap in the 70s early 80s when it was so common if you didn't hide your sets they would be gone. Most were taken by professional thieves and when caught would have 1000s of traps in their possession. We considered it the cost of doing business and expected a certain amount.

Re: Rat B@$/$#^<^ trap thieves [Re: Fireplug] #7171031
02/06/21 08:40 AM
02/06/21 08:40 AM
Finger Lakes region, NY
Fireplug Offline OP
trapper
Fireplug  Offline OP
trapper

Finger Lakes region, NY
Update: Forest Ranger and son and I are out to meet next week and the Ranger wants to put up HIS trail.cams to try and catch these thieves. Sounds like a good guy, he really wants to catch this thief.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread