No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thermal [Re: Steven 49er] #7169785
02/05/21 12:38 AM
02/05/21 12:38 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
What resolution Thor did you get? 384 or 640?

I got the 384 knowing I'd most likely not be happy and I'm right lol. Not because it isn't okay the 640 is worth the extra cash.

There is a big difference, mine is the 640 and I have looked through a friends 384.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7169787
02/05/21 12:41 AM
02/05/21 12:41 AM
Nebraska
T
Trappercass Offline
trapper
Trappercass  Offline
trapper
T

Nebraska
To zero we have been using a self tapping screw ran into a plywood backstop and hitting it quick with a torch. The head of the screw retains the heat well and you get a much finer point to aim at. A longer screw let’s you heat the head without transferring heat to the paper or backstop

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7169914
02/05/21 08:31 AM
02/05/21 08:31 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Lefty, I think my age is showing. I’ve just got no desire to go stomp through snow anymore. No doubt they’re running and I’d be running exposed if I did. I’m just enjoying my warm truck from A-B. I’m also back to working near 60 hours a week. Add on a couple hours a day running traps and I feel tired.

Forgive me for the long post but I enjoyed my first night out. Third stand I set up on a timber with the wind in my face. I figured I had a half a mile before contact. I was sitting on the west side of a hedgerow with the caller out in front of me about 50 yards farther west. We had a weird straight wind out of the west at 5-7 mph.

I scanned the entire 360 no animals in sight. I opened with one lone male howl and then two minutes of female yodel. I shut down the call and scanned. I panned in front of me and then down the hedgerow. I couldn’t believe it with no cover other than the hedgerow for about a mile I had five coyotes working the east side of the hedgerow to me (couldn’t get a shot through it) they were about 150 yards out.

I switched over to lightning jack hoping to bring them over into the open where I could get a shot. The lead coyote came head over heals right down the hedge and winded me at about 50 yards. Rather then educate them with a questionable shot through the brush I watched them run off. Man what a deal. I could easily identify them. The scope did its job. I just failed and really didn’t expect those coyotes to appear out of nothing.

A few things I found on my first run. After waiting a couple minutes after I’d do the female yodel I’d get quite a few responses. Issue was they were never where I anticipated them and the wind was rarely in my favor if they came in. I’m thinking I might just do a siren locate before I make stands in the future. I could have been right on top of most of them as I have access to a lot of ground down there. I did have one stand where I had two pairs answering from two different directions (wind in my favor) they never did break the open field.

I was amazed how many angry raccoons will come running to not only the distress sounds but the coyote vocals. I had one raccoon I could hear chattering a 1/4 mile out before it came to investigate. I didn’t shoot any but I watched a number of raccoons and possums work the call.

I definitely will have a vice/tripod by next year. I’ve been looking at the Bog. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and after holding that gun up for 20-30 minutes a stand my arms were fatigued. Figure it will give me a very steady rest as well. I’m sure guys will say they can hold one up for hours but I feel like without a rest after holding it up for a while my shots could have been sub-par.

The monocular for scanning is definitely a must. Steven I’m curious is there a reason you want more recognition? I’m sure you have a reason. I watched deer walk out into the fields last night at 3-400 yards and could easily tell what they were. By 50 yards I could see enough definition to tell a raccoon from a possum. I figure with the monocular I just want to know something is coming not necessarily caring what it is till it’s within a couple hundred yards. Definitely telling how animals move and what they are I’m finding out.

All in all I feel like the thermal has been a good investment. If you’re expecting to see their eyeballs as you squeeze the trigger you’re going to be disappointed in a low grade model. I knew that going into it and I’ve been very happy with the scopes performance. I just need to learn to call. Other than raccoons in my younger years I’m really new to calling. I can’t imagine the carnage I could have created if thermals existed when raccoons were $20 a hide.

I went into it knowing I didn’t have a $3-9k dollar scope and I think that’s the key. As long as you realize it’s not going to be perfection the entry level ATN’s seem to do everything I wanted. It’s a heck of a rush when something appears out of nowhere. I’ll be honest when I had five coyotes milling towards me it was quite the feeling they didn’t have a clue I was there until the ol wind got me.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7169958
02/05/21 09:34 AM
02/05/21 09:34 AM
Indiana
C
concrete man Offline
trapper
concrete man  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
I have the AGM25 monocular it was 1600.00 thought that was a lot till I looked at scopes the one I have is great at a distance in open field but I the brush it only good to about 50 to 100 feet.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7170037
02/05/21 10:54 AM
02/05/21 10:54 AM
Michigan
D
Duckie1 Offline
trapper
Duckie1  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Great stuff guys, keep it coming.

On the monocular side I was looking for something with longer identification range, say +500 yards with a decent sized field of view to use for scanning while calling, scouting, and checking traps in the dark from a distance.

Guys with thermal experience which would you purchase first a monocular or a scope?

My thought is a monocular is first because it is more versatile and can perform several functions and I can still use a light and regular scope at the point of taking a predator while night hunting. If I went with a scope first I would be more limited in my usage until I also had a monocular.

What are the best monoculars available in the $2000 range?

Does anyone know the life expectancy of a thermal monocular/scope? Seems like regular night vision equipment is about 5 or so years.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7170043
02/05/21 11:03 AM
02/05/21 11:03 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by WadeRyan

I switched over to lightning jack hoping to bring them over into the open where I could get a shot. The lead coyote came head over heals right down the hedge and winded me at about 50 yards. Rather then educate them with a questionable shot through the brush I watched them run off..

Hate to break it to you, if he winded you.........you educated them.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7170054
02/05/21 11:12 AM
02/05/21 11:12 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I suppose I did Boone, I’m not much of a caller. It sure is fun though. He definitely winded me stopped on a dime and was gone with his friends in tow. Was still quite a time and sight to see. There’s definitely a learning curve.

Duckie look at that one that Steven mentioned earlier. It’s in your price range and exceeds your distance.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7170063
02/05/21 11:16 AM
02/05/21 11:16 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely

The monocular for scanning is definitely a must. Steven I’m curious is there a reason you want more recognition? I’m sure you have a reason. I watched deer walk out into the fields last night at 3-400 yards and could easily tell what they were. By 50 yards I could see enough definition to tell a raccoon from a possum. I figure with the monocular I just want to know something is coming not necessarily caring what it is till it’s within a couple hundred yards. Definitely telling how animals move and what they are I’m finding out.

I do a lot of scanning wade even when the caller isn't running. I've looked through the sub $1000 monocular and the 2200 plus ones. Personally I don't think you'll be happy with unit you are looking at. I know I wasn't. Recognition at a hundred to 200 yards and the game could be over unless you are in tight quarters.

I spent 2200 on my scope, I'm seriously kicking myself for not going into the 640 resolution around the $4000 price point. I managed to borrow my buddies Pulsar monocular for as he's unable to hunt for awhile. That may change my mind about my scope.

Last edited by Steven 49er; 02/05/21 11:33 AM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7170079
02/05/21 11:24 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Fair enough Steven I’m definitely looking at the one you mentioned using. What’s another couple thousand right? The sky is definitely the limit on how crazy a guy could go and I’m pretty much enjoying how easy it is to just pack up the truck and go. A lot less labor intensive compared to trapping.

We’re supposed to be as low as -6 without the wind the next week and I’m still anticipating when I can get back out. We can kill coyotes year around here and I think I can justify something I can use 365.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7170081
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
There is a huge learning curve, especially on how you set up.

Control of the ground is important in daylight but it is of the UTMOST importance at night. Especially if your calling.

You need to see them early, and be able to keep eyes on them.

With the limited FOV of these units, they drop into a little depression, get in some heavy cover, and you loose them. Meanwhile they’re moving around getting your wind while you scan scan scan trying to pick them back up.

I FIRMLY believe most guys have no clue how many coyotes they’re educating with these things when they’re “running and gunning”. They can come so hard and fast at night, throw in a poor setup, and with the severe limitations of the whole thing from a target acquisition standpoint, they just never see them. That’s why I don’t like calling with one. Much prefer to sit on a bait or kill with it.

I think we’re gonna see the whole “Foxpro phenomenon” happen all over again.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 02/05/21 11:25 AM.
Re: Thermal [Re: Boone Liane] #7170709
02/05/21 10:39 PM
02/05/21 10:39 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Boone Liane

Control of the ground is important in daylight but it is of the UTMOST importance at night. Especially if your calling.

With the limited FOV of these units, they drop into a little depression, get in some heavy cover, and you loose them. Meanwhile they’re moving around getting your wind while you scan scan scan trying to pick them back up.

I FIRMLY believe most guys have no clue how many coyotes they’re educating with these things when they’re “running and gunning”. They can come so hard and fast at night, throw in a poor setup, and with the severe limitations of the whole thing from a target acquisition standpoint, they just never see them. That’s why I don’t like calling with one. Much prefer to sit on a bait or kill with it.

I definitely was amazed at how fast they covered the mile. I highly doubt thermals are going to make that big of an impact in general. They aren't something the majority of people can just walk out and grab one although they are becoming more economical. Good news for you is I'm a long way from Montana and it's very enjoyable to do something new. I'll probably educate some coyotes in the process but it's a hoot. I'm not a professional so it's not really of concern to me.

Re: Thermal [Re: Boone Liane] #7170833
02/05/21 11:54 PM
02/05/21 11:54 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa

I switched over to lightning jack hoping to bring them over into the open where I could get a shot. The lead coyote came head over heals right down the hedge and winded me at about 50 yards. Rather then educate them with a questionable shot through the brush I watched them run off..

Hate to break it to you, if he winded you.........you educated them.

Yup

Re: Thermal [Re: Boone Liane] #7170839
02/05/21 11:56 PM
02/05/21 11:56 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa

Sounds good, here it's more open, but ya if you blow it, or don't know they winded you , they got more cautious

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7177181
02/10/21 09:54 PM
02/10/21 09:54 PM
Michigan
D
Duckie1 Offline
trapper
Duckie1  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Any hunt updates??

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7177187
02/10/21 10:01 PM
02/10/21 10:01 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
From folks with the high dollar thermals, they say spend the money on a monocular and go with NV for the gun. They can scout from a distance then sneak in to call.
Also the BOG DeathGrip is a real good tripod. Bought one for the 6yr old to use on deer.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7181187
02/13/21 10:41 PM
02/13/21 10:41 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Duckie, I've been out one more time since the first real night of calling. It's just miserable here right now. The last night I went out was about -7 without the wind by midnight. Had a few groups answer the female yodel but no movement in range and they were way out. I went with a guy that's been calling all year in our area. The scope worked well down to those temperatures without a glitch. It was our first real night of bitter cold and not a whole lot of anything was moving. Everything was bunkered down.

I did have a red tail hawk come into the rabbit one night and at 50 yards I could tell what he was as soon as his wings opened up. He definitely didn't look "right" compared to what I'd seen in the scope so far. We are looking at -13 to -18 nights here this weekend but I'm already working. If I can get a night closer to zero I might go give it another run. He showed me some of the things that have helped him. He's shot a number of coyotes, bobcats, and a few fox this winter with his. His favorite place to call is abandoned rail road tracks. He just calls with the wind and sets up in an opening. He said he's had up to three coyotes and one cat off one stand barreling down the tracks to him. The cat was last and he missed it.

I was also perplexed as I followed him. I've been walking into locations as I've still got the stealth mode attached to me as if I was calling during the day. He just drives his truck right out into the middle of the sections depending on wind direction and sets up 20 yards from his truck. He doesn't wait as long to start calling as I'd anticipated either. Literally calling as soon as he had the call out on the ground. I'm sure he's missing some coyotes that way but he's been enjoying himself this winter and has a couple of deep freezers of fur he wanted me to sell for him so.....it's had to have worked enough to keep him happy. He is a state trooper and does have a suppressor which I'm assuming helps with the multiple coyotes at a time.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7181214
02/13/21 10:56 PM
02/13/21 10:56 PM
SD
T
Tray Offline
"Wilson Jr."
Tray  Offline
"Wilson Jr."
T

SD
They are more expensive but seriously look at scanners with laser rangefinder in them. One of the biggest challenges at night is judging distance, and many times when you call in multiple coyotes it’s easy to shoot the first one at under 100 yards then the others will scatter but not nearly like they do in daylight, have many coyotes stop at 3-400 yards and bark at me. If you don’t know exact distance it’s hard to make that shot.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7181223
02/13/21 11:00 PM
02/13/21 11:00 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Wade you'll find out this night hunting is a rabbit hole and can get really expensive. A suppressor isn't necessary but I'm glad I have mine. Second shots and not waking up the neighbors is nice.

As far as the conditions you are calling in, it's cold to you but almost normal here, your gear will handle it no problem. Once it gets below -20 I generally shut it down, not because the equipment wont handle it but because I'm getting older and lazy lol.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7181241
02/13/21 11:10 PM
02/13/21 11:10 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Tray, I noticed that the first night as I watched a raccoon come across the field depth perception was definitely off. With the .223 and 55g ammo I am shooting I am looking at a kill shot without much hesitation out to 200 yards. After that I'd probably have to do some adjustments. I am in Nebraska but it's not quite like the sandhills where I am. For the most part 200 yards is plenty...we have a lot of rolling creeks and timbers in my area. There's some places where you can see for miles but not many.

Steven I've got family up in Minnesota and they'd probably be sitting on the porch drinking a beer with our weather we are having now. We only have about two weeks of this type of weather here a year. We stay colder than a lot of places but we don't hit sub-zero all that often. Heck they're talking about calling off school the first two days of next week. I was excited to be out calling and I was dressed to do it. I actually didn't feel all that bad. The guy I was with finally looked at me and 0030 and told me his truck was reading -7 and he wasn't cut out for it anymore. I think I could have kept going for quite a while. Nothing seemed to be on the move at all though. Minus the hawk I couldn't find anything. The nights prior I'd seen plenty of animal movement even non-targets.

I'm not real worried about a suppressor. I thought about starting the paperwork as they are telling me 8-9 months but I have a guy I work with that's an old NRA instructor that builds his own. The paperwork takes less than a month that route. If I do go for one I will probably have him drill me one. I don't have any desire to kill all the coyotes. I'm just enjoying what I've done so far. I'm sure it would be nice to have one but there's other guns/combos/thermals/ etc. etc. I'd like to get going on first.

I can see that it will get expensive in the long run and I am okay with that. I mean people pay 1000's of dollars to go shoot an animal over a barrel of corn so there has to be worse things out there. I can for the first time in close to 20 years say that I've thought about something more than trapping this coming fall. I honestly have my traps I pulled in December still piled in totes and haven't gave them two looks. I was watching a video the other night where they set up a dead pit in South Dakota and took coyotes often with up to 4 out of 8 one night. They put out some round bales to get closer to them un-detected. I've got a feedlot with some old round bales that might be of use after all. It appears the sky's the limit of what you can get yourself into.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 02/13/21 11:19 PM.

Re: Thermal [Re: WadeRyan] #7181294
02/13/21 11:47 PM
02/13/21 11:47 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Wade, I'm seriously considering building my next suppressor.

I ordered mine last year from SilencerCentral in late January, got it around the first week in October

Here when it's minus 7 the kids wear shorts to school lol.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread