No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics #7174212
02/08/21 05:56 PM
02/08/21 05:56 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Made a new cross cut sled for the table saw. I used sanded plywood and since that won't really expand or contract much I used aluminum rails for the guides. I also glued Formica to the bottom so it slides easily. It turned out pretty good and cuts a right angle dead nuts on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also made a door for the back of the table saw so I can get in there without a huge hassle. Before if I dropped a nut putting on a new blade or slivers clogged up the dust collector, it wass 6 screws, take off the back, clean everything or find it, put the sheet metal back and put the 6 screws back in. What a pain in the rump. Now I open the door. wink I have a sheet of foam on the inside to help with the vacuum. I also put a spring on the knob to keep positive pressure on the door. It worked out well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7174384
02/08/21 08:17 PM
02/08/21 08:17 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Alot of work but now that you have it I bet your wondering why you didn't do this years ago.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7174426
02/08/21 08:46 PM
02/08/21 08:46 PM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Nice shop

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7174435
02/08/21 08:53 PM
02/08/21 08:53 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
looks good , I made one just low grade plywood bottom but it warped

I need to make another one and use mdf with the coating for the board

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/08/21 08:53 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7174485
02/08/21 09:35 PM
02/08/21 09:35 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
looks good , I made one just low grade plywood bottom but it warped

I need to make another one and use mdf with the coating for the board

MDF is really stable as far as expansion and contraction. I never liked the stuff because it will sag so easy. Whatever you're using it on really has to be supported if the piece is large or it will move all over the place. At least from what I have seen. It is pretty much just sawdust, wax and some sort of resin. or glue I believe. I would assume it would work ok for a sled as long as it was stored flat. If it was leaning against a wall, I think it might deform after awhile? I would probably be ok if it was hung vertical also. I just don't think you would want anything side loading it for any length of time including it's own weight.

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: 20scout] #7174493
02/08/21 09:42 PM
02/08/21 09:42 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by 20scout
Alot of work but now that you have it I bet your wondering why you didn't do this years ago.

The door on the saw is one of those things I've been getting around to for years now. A few days ago, I dropped the washer for the blade twice in one day mad . I was having a bad day to start with so I stopped what I was doing and made the door. Naturally, I haven't dropped a thing since or had the dust collection clog yet. crazy However, when it does, it will be a lot easier that's for sure.

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7174518
02/08/21 09:56 PM
02/08/21 09:56 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by 20scout

The door on the saw is one of those things I've been getting around to for years now. A few days ago, I dropped the washer for the blade twice in one day mad . I was having a bad day to start with so I stopped what I was doing and made the door. Naturally, I haven't dropped a thing since or had the dust collection clog yet. crazy However, when it does, it will be a lot easier that's for sure.

Murphy's law, but now you're ready for it.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7174830
02/09/21 08:00 AM
02/09/21 08:00 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Finster- As always- nice work.
I was going to make that exact style sled (I still might) and then I bought this one at an Estate sale in the box for $10. I found it advantageous to continue the track slots into my Outfeed/Assembly table to give me additional clearance past the blade. The Rockler sled works good with the drop off addition, I rarely, if ever utilize the miter fence, typically use my miter saw instead. Thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Eagleye] #7174960
02/09/21 10:20 AM
02/09/21 10:20 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Eagleye
Finster- As always- nice work.
I was going to make that exact style sled (I still might) and then I bought this one at an Estate sale in the box for $10. I found it advantageous to continue the track slots into my Outfeed/Assembly table to give me additional clearance past the blade. The Rockler sled works good with the drop off addition, I rarely, if ever utilize the miter fence, typically use my miter saw instead. Thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's a nice saw you have there. I want to upgrade to a nice cabinet saw but I just don't have the room. I've been working on trying to upgrade what I have. The next mission is an outfeed table. I have two problems to overcome. First, the floor of my shop is beyond uneven. There are places that it drops a few inches in a few feet! crazy Well, the Amish poured it before I bought the place so other than taking out the floor and re-pouring, I'm stuck with it. You can see this in the one photo. the saw is actually sitting on a level slab I poured for it. I'll have to anchor the outfeed table to the floor since I'll never be able to line something up that's movable every time. Secondly is my access door. it's the only side I can have a door so I'll have to either have the outfeed table hinged somehow and fold up for access to the saw door or have an open space between the saw and the table big enough to access that door. and just bridge that gap with supports which is probably where this is going. You've got a great setup there. it would be a pleasure using it.

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7174975
02/09/21 10:40 AM
02/09/21 10:40 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Finster- mobility and leveling can be a challenge, it's a pain and I've had different applications where I had to give up one to get the other. I used these levelers on a fish cleaning station at our cabin ( the same Amish guy must have poured the floor in the our garage up north). might be an alternative solution to add to a mobile base with casters? Rockler has them- they support 800lbs per pair
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Eagleye; 02/09/21 10:40 AM.
Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Eagleye] #7175094
02/09/21 12:05 PM
02/09/21 12:05 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Eagleye
Finster- mobility and leveling can be a challenge, it's a pain and I've had different applications where I had to give up one to get the other. I used these levelers on a fish cleaning station at our cabin ( the same Amish guy must have poured the floor in the our garage up north). might be an alternative solution to add to a mobile base with casters? Rockler has them- they support 800lbs per pair
[Linked Image]

Yup, I have done similar things with all thread and wood blocks. I'll give you an idea how bad it is. My bandsaw has a small footprint. Maybe 18" if that. I have the legs screwed in the entire way on one side and screwed out the entire way on the other side plus a 2X4 under them and it still isn't quite level. So that's about a 2.5 or 3" drop in 18" crazy It's flat out ridiculous. If I ever have the money to add on to my shop, I'll move everything out and pour a new floor. That's about the only real remedy.

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7175141
02/09/21 12:43 PM
02/09/21 12:43 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Finster: Is that a Basement or Garage workshop ?

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Canvasback2] #7175160
02/09/21 12:59 PM
02/09/21 12:59 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Finster: Is that a Basement or Garage workshop ?

I have a metal "barn" that I made into a two car garage and a separate workshop. My shop is about 30X30 ish? maybe a little smaller. I have enough room for one more major piece of equipment and that will be a drum sander in the future. I would like to add on and make a deep 2 bay garage with a lift for working on vehicles then take over the existing garage and combine that with my shop. However, that's pretty far down the list at the moment. I have other priorities that need attention first.

Re: Nifty little woodshop projects. W-Pics [Re: Finster] #7175205
02/09/21 01:28 PM
02/09/21 01:28 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
Nice work (once again) Finster,

A crosscut sled is something I have been meaning to build for a long time, as well as an outfeed table. Thanks for the inspiration.

Just happy to be here.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread