No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em #7174731
02/09/21 12:15 AM
02/09/21 12:15 AM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline OP
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline OP
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
I think maybe so. This is a true account of an event. No fiction, just some of the language has been toned down or altered for the forum. The teller of this will turn 91 next month. He went on to serve as a sniper in Korea with 32 confirmed hits and 29 probables. He used his VA benefits to get a PHD. in wildlife biology, is a well known researcher and a world recognized expert in some mammal species.
I can set and visit with him for hours on end.

Korea – 1952 Mountain Man

Smell'em

It was really dark that night, so dark we couldn't see three feet from our hole. It had been raining for days and our hole was a soggy bathtub that we kept bailing out with the steel shells of our helmets but there was really no place for the water to go.

We had taken the hill three and a half days ago and had repulsed three days of counter attacks, mostly at night. The last attempt to drive us off the hill had been a half-hearted one that morning. Since then it had just been a continuous bombardment of 120 mm artillery. That led us to believe they were planning something for that night. We had no wire in front of us. None had been brought up the hill. Very little had been brought up except ammunition. They could have sent us something to eat, but they hadn't. We had been issued three days of assault rations, but like soldiers throughout the history of warfare, we had eaten it all on the first day.

It was 0200 hours on the fourth day and we had been awake for three days and nights. Forty-eight hours without sleep is not so hard when you are getting shot at and fighting off counter attacks. After 72 hours, life gets a little weird and it gets harder to focus on what you are supposed to be doing. You begin to hallucinate at night and see things that are not there. Even imagine things that didn't happen.

It was at this point that Red whispered to me “they're out there.”
Who's out there ?
“Enemy are,” said Red
Where ?
“In front of us --- and close.”
How do you know ? I can't see a thing.
“I can smell 'em'. “
Do what ? I can't smell a thing.
“You got a cold?”
No I don't have a cold, I just can't smell 'em --- and you can't either.
“The heck I can't smell the stinking yellow turds. They're not 10 yards from us and I could spit on them from here.”
Chinese or Korean ?
“Chinese.”
You can tell the difference ?
“Yes I sure can.”

With that said, Red eased the pin out of a hand grenade, let the “spoon” off and counted one, two, and gently lobbed the grenade out in front of our hole. We ducked down in our hole and waited two seconds , the grenade exploded and the flash was followed by a scream or maybe two screams at the same time.
After that it was quiet and we were wide awake now.

Red said that he could still smell'em but he thought they were dead. “They're not moving any more and I think they're dead. I can smell their blood.”
You're crazy, I said. Smell their blood ? For crying out loud. You can't smell their blood.
“The heck I can't. I smelled the stinking turds didn't I. You can't tell me I didn't smell any turds. I can still smell the yellow turds and they are as dead as four o'clock. Just you wait till morning and you'll see.”

As it dawned, wet and steamy, we could see two dead Chinese --- maybe five yards from our hole and beyond that a trail of blood down the hill.
Red said “see, there they are just like I told you. They're dead now, just like I said they were. You gotta get over that cold Carter. You gotta be able to smell'em when it's too dark to see'em.”

Red was from somewhere in the hills of eastern Tennessee and was easy with the darkest night.
No doubt he had spent a lot of time chasing coon hounds through the woods at night.
He was a true mountain man with the senses of a caveman.
He could always see, hear and smell things the rest of us couldn't.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7174755
02/09/21 12:46 AM
02/09/21 12:46 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

No nice tryinta sneak up on Red at night. Not smart either it doesn't sound like.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7174762
02/09/21 01:09 AM
02/09/21 01:09 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
Great story, maybe put it over on the writer's forum.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7174773
02/09/21 01:43 AM
02/09/21 01:43 AM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Great story

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175012
02/09/21 11:11 AM
02/09/21 11:11 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I can believe that he could determine a scent of a nature that wasn't in his group of GI's. If they were eating a lot of Kempshi (sp), its got a strong smell.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175018
02/09/21 11:14 AM
02/09/21 11:14 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Our soldiers in Nam were told, " if you go out on a 30 day stay, careful what your eating, the enemy can smell the food in your waste.

Then they can determine who you are, and what decisive moves to make. Often we ate rice and fish. What I was told.

Last edited by seniortrap; 02/09/21 11:14 AM.

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175029
02/09/21 11:21 AM
02/09/21 11:21 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I believe it... was sitting with a customer I just delivered bait to... heard a car door open out of sight in the parking lot...Told the owner of the shop , "here comes a bunch of Korean customers"

Sure enough around the corner of the building came 4 Korean gentlemen, I could smell them as the left the car, around the corner of the building, over 50 feet away, in a baitshop! ... they were upwind though, lol

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175039
02/09/21 11:29 AM
02/09/21 11:29 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
We have quite a few Somalis in our area. They have an odor that distinguishes them from others. Some say it's because of a tea-like beverage that most of them drink.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175109
02/09/21 12:18 PM
02/09/21 12:18 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
That's a great story. Well written too. Good job.

I can smell coyote and raccoon order coming out of my pores a couple days after I start skinning. Blood does smell. I bet most of you can smell things like that.

Just passin through
Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175126
02/09/21 12:30 PM
02/09/21 12:30 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I liked that story!

Cold as ice!
Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: seniortrap] #7175129
02/09/21 12:34 PM
02/09/21 12:34 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
A friend I grew up with was a Navy Seal in Nam. He said they ate what they ate and worn their sandals so army boots would not give them away.

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: seniortrap] #7175134
02/09/21 12:36 PM
02/09/21 12:36 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by seniortrap
Our soldiers in Nam were told, " if you go out on a 30 day stay, careful what your eating, the enemy can smell the food in your waste.

Then they can determine who you are, and what decisive moves to make. Often we ate rice and fish. What I was told.

If anyone has ever eaten, or been around someone that has eaten, Petai aka "Stink Beans" You better believe you will smell them! One of the favorite foods of Asians. Turn your pee green and the smell . . . WHoooooo! mad

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7175157
02/09/21 12:55 PM
02/09/21 12:55 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

My ex FIL is a smallish man and says he was in Nam and then back home again before he ever heard the term tunnel rat. He has always said if your Sargent said recon that hole that the smell alone would let you know whether there were humans hidin down there for any length of time and maybe even worse snakes. He said about half of the holes had booby traps or some kind in his area. He said they could be anything from stolen claymores, grenades with the handle squeezed by a trip wire, or sharpened bamboo sticks that had probably been soaked over night in human waste so if they so much as broke your skin you would get a jungle infection that would likely put you out of action for weeks if not months. He said SOP was if you think the enemy soldiers were down there no flashlight but if you didn't suspect other human beings then a flashlight was of course great to find snakes b4 they found you or traps. The whole thing made my skin crawl.

He didn't talk about 'Nam very often but when he did it always made me wonder what layer of hel that must have been for an 18-19 year old boy

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7179142
02/12/21 11:31 AM
02/12/21 11:31 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I was asked once by an NCO to take a look in a tunnel. I told him, "that is not my MOS"! "If you want to stop whatever is in there, give me a grenade and stand back!

Then I'll proceed to bury it with my dozer. And hope that works."

Re: Mountain Man ? You Gotta Smell'em [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7179304
02/12/21 01:58 PM
02/12/21 01:58 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I dated a girl and her dad was a Seal in Nam. He worked over there off of the first nuclear sub, the Nautalis I think it was. I can't even imagine what all a Seal had to do off of a sub in Nam but I'm sure he did it. He said when they were going out that they would eat and sleep off by themsleves at camp like the enemy would and be out for days on end eating like them in the field too. It wasn't just your poo it was your BO and breath and just smell in general soaps and aftershaves that you can't smell like so you can't really be around your buddies either.

The biggest thing that he ever talked about that bothered him most was knowing what had really happend to boat of our soldiers and where they were and what they were doing isn't what all their family got told and he battled with having that information and not being able to tell them but thinking that they should be told that everything happend half way around the world from what they thought.

There is a scene in We Were Soldiers like that. It was dark, they couldn't see anything, and the one guy could smell them so they shoot and the enemy was on top of them.

Odd continuation of the story but I was from a town in Ohio and he was from Chicago and an old timer in my small town served with him. Like they knew each other well from over there. Whats the chances of that? Weird.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread