No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: topknot] #7176240
02/10/21 09:34 AM
02/10/21 09:34 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by topknot
I am not sure how you are paying 1.32$ per pound hanging weight, which includes processing! Around hear your going to be paying around 4$ minimum hanging weight with processing fees separate.

Thats way above market value. I believe the market value on a fat beef is around $1.88 hanging

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/10/21 09:37 AM.
Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176253
02/10/21 09:57 AM
02/10/21 09:57 AM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline
trapper
Choo  Offline
trapper
C

West Virginia
They must be buying some awefully cheap fat cattle to make that price.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: danny clifton] #7176255
02/10/21 10:02 AM
02/10/21 10:02 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Yes storage is not cheap. But just the high cost of burger will pencil out the cost of electricity. to many people have to have profit from the grocery store beef.

The guy selling calves, the trucker hauling calves to the feed lot. the feedlot, the trucker hauling commodities to the feed lot, the trucker hauling fat cattle to the processer, the processer, the trucker hauling beef to the distribution center, the distribution center, the trucker hauling groceries to the retail outlet, and finally the retail outlet.

Electricity and a freezer is still cheaper than all that. At least I think it is.

No room for beef when the freezers are all full of 3 dollar beaver hides!

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: danny clifton] #7176262
02/10/21 10:10 AM
02/10/21 10:10 AM
south east lancaster co. PA.
T
TRAPPER TOM Offline
trapper
TRAPPER TOM  Offline
trapper
T

south east lancaster co. PA.
P.S. Crit R Dun, I've been to many many commercial chicken processing plants and barns and feed mills. I do like the eggs my daughter and her husband collect from their free ranging birds. When you feed your meat birds feed from a bag, they are no different than what Tyson is butchering.

The place i buy bulk meats Restaurant Depot i can get chicken leg Qtrs. for 34cents a lb. 40 lb. case

PASS IT ON OR LOSE IT
Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176270
02/10/21 10:13 AM
02/10/21 10:13 AM
MISSOURI,Laclede Co
F
farmnhunt Offline
trapper
farmnhunt  Offline
trapper
F

MISSOURI,Laclede Co
I sell mine as cheap as I can and still make a little over what a 600# calf would have sold for and 120 days of feed. I sold 3 for $1.20 and kept one for my self. They were heifers and weighed 1050#,they were not my best black angus calves. They were good calves but ones that had a white spot or a short tail that calf buyer would have paid less for. Meat will be about 50% the way I have it cut. Processing is close to $400. total cost 1.2x1050=1260+400=1660 pounds of meat 1050x.50=525
1660/525=3.16/# I think I'm selling cheaper than most but selling to friends and family. Fat cattle were 1.12 to 1.15 so I went above that some. Lots of local producers sell at $1.50 to 1.65/# live weight.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176272
02/10/21 10:15 AM
02/10/21 10:15 AM
MISSOURI,Laclede Co
F
farmnhunt Offline
trapper
farmnhunt  Offline
trapper
F

MISSOURI,Laclede Co
Will pick mine up next week.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176279
02/10/21 10:19 AM
02/10/21 10:19 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Bought a steer from buddy who does it for a living, less than 3 per lb and super quality. Only way to go.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176287
02/10/21 10:35 AM
wyoming
C
crowheart Offline
trapper
crowheart  Offline
trapper
C

wyoming
In Wyo. you go over and eat at the nieghbors to see what your beef tastes like! grin

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176289
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
When I trapped around many chicken houses in Arkansas I got to know a chicken farmer quite well. He taught me a couple a things about raising chicks to broiler size birds.

Like how they put on their weight so fast. It just wasnt from feeding plain mash, grain feed and water. I was told they added arsenic to their feed to increase their growth rate in a shorter period of time. This wasn't done by the farmer but was pre mixed into the feed when brought and put into the feed hoppers.

This may be common knowledge to those in the chicken business but I was a bit concerned when told. I laid off buying Tyson and Wayne Foods chicken after that.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: Bob Jameson] #7176318
02/10/21 11:06 AM
02/10/21 11:06 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
When I trapped around many chicken houses in Arkansas I got to know a chicken farmer quite well. He taught me a couple a things about raising chicks to broiler size birds.

Like how they put on their weight so fast. It just wasnt from feeding plain mash, grain feed and water. I was told they added arsenic to their feed to increase their growth rate in a shorter period of time. This wasn't done by the farmer but was pre mixed into the feed when brought and put into the feed hoppers.

This may be common knowledge to those in the chicken business but I was a bit concerned when told. I laid off buying Tyson and Wayne Foods chicken after that.

Chickens are not fed arsenic and never have been. He was mistaken, but he wasn't lying. Arsenic is natural and organic and other foods can convert into minute amounts of arsenic when eaten.

https://www.chickencheck.in/faq/arsenic-chicken/

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: Yes sir] #7176328
02/10/21 11:12 AM
02/10/21 11:12 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by topknot
I am not sure how you are paying 1.32$ per pound hanging weight, which includes processing! Around hear your going to be paying around 4$ minimum hanging weight with processing fees separate.

Thats way above market value. I believe the market value on a fat beef is around $1.88 hanging

this is correct.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176406
02/10/21 12:19 PM
02/10/21 12:19 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
No he was not mistaken, and shared that info on several occasions as reference to fast growth. I know the facts from that time frame of when I was working the chicken farms and surrounding areas for predator control.

This was during the 90's to early 2000's. Things may have changed from those years but it did occur and was common practice in those years. Organic or not, aresenic is still arsenic. It was a growth stimulator. It was used and labeled as a feed medicine but used none the less.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: danny clifton] #7176414
02/10/21 12:23 PM
02/10/21 12:23 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
P.S. Crit R Dun, I've been to many many commercial chicken processing plants and barns and feed mills. I do like the eggs my daughter and her husband collect from their free ranging birds. When you feed your meat birds feed from a bag, they are no different than what Tyson is butchering.

On the surface it may appear that way. But take mine for example yes I feed a commercial feed but there is much more to it than that. Conditions being primary.

My meat birds stay in a wood frame enclosed for predator protection. The bottom is open as are 2/3rods the top and sides that have chicken wire. It gets moved once or twice a day on to fresh grass. Once when they are small twice as they grow out. They get sun and open air, catch bugs and get to scratch and eat grass along with their feed. They don't sit in their own filth and have to be medicated because of the airborne poo particle they are breathing in causing micro abrasions in their lungs.

They are healthier and they for taste better. Its apparent if you cook one of mine and a store bought bird. The broth from the store bird will have a gray tinted appearance not noticeable until directly with one of my birds.

My egg birds get moved around the farm with the goats and sheep. Their coup is built on a 16' car trailer and stays inside the electro net fence the goats and sheep stay in. They also get commercial feed with some added sunflower seeds. But they free range inside the rotational grazing fence and eat lots of bugs and vegetation.

I have a lot of customers that agree and pay $5lb.and 4.50 dozen eggs And pick them up from the farm.

I guess if someone is raising them in the traditional poop filled mud runs you may be correct on there not being much different.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 02/10/21 12:24 PM.
Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176420
02/10/21 12:29 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

It gets worse Bob Jameson. During the same time frame I used to day wage for anybody that more than a few thousand head of cattle and paid cash up in Kansas. One guy kept getting in pot load after pot load of cattle from Missouri (Misery) and they always stunk like the trucker hadn't washed his trailer in weeks.

One day I ask one of the truckers where those stinkin suckers were coming from and he said down the road from the turkey and chicken yards (big corporate farms- actually more like huge or yuge as they say). He said they feed the back ground calves a mixture that included the bird droppings.

Most of those cattle ended up sellin to National Beef and were then marketed under their certified black angus label.
sick

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: Bob Jameson] #7176421
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
No he was not mistaken, and shared that info on several occasions as reference to fast growth. I know the facts from that time frame of when I was working the chicken farms and surrounding areas for predator control.

This was during the 90's to early 2000's. Things may have changed from those years but it did occur and was common practice in those years. Organic or not, aresenic is still arsenic. It was a growth stimulator. It was used and labeled as a feed medicine but used none the less.

Again, yes he was. As are you I suppose. They have never been fed arsenic. You can read the link I provided, or you can Google for your own results. They will all tell you the same thing. This is how people become so ignorant regarding their food, they believe anything they're told or see on the internet. Now this is one more time this false information has been put on on the web, for millions of people to find.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176424
02/10/21 12:33 PM
02/10/21 12:33 PM
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

Just to re-affirm my dominance, I want everyone to know I can pee pee farther than Bob Jameson of M. Magnus either one cool

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: jbyrd63] #7176459
02/10/21 01:02 PM
02/10/21 01:02 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I am sure if the internet says different he must have been lying to me. I am sure Google wouldnt publish non factual information. Really?? I knew these operators personally and saw the feed analysis provided with their required feeds paperwork at the time.

"Quote" Google

Even though science shows that such low levels of arsenic do not harm chickens or the people eating them, feed containing 3-Nitro roxarsone (arsenic) was removed from the market in June of 2011 and it is no longer used in raising broilers in the United States.

I wonder why this feed/medication was pulled from use. Which means it was widely accepted and used during the time frame I discussed.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: Leftlane] #7176501
02/10/21 01:40 PM
02/10/21 01:40 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Just to re-affirm my dominance, I want everyone to know I can pee pee farther than Bob Jameson of M. Magnus either one cool

I remember my boy doing a trajectory test one morning. He aimed high on the wall...did better than I could have. I didn't stay mad long, kind of admired his gumption.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: Providence Farm] #7176523
02/10/21 01:53 PM
02/10/21 01:53 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

On the surface it may appear that way. But take mine for example yes I feed a commercial feed but there is much more to it than that. Conditions being primary.

My meat birds stay in a wood frame enclosed for predator protection. The bottom is open as are 2/3rods the top and sides that have chicken wire. It gets moved once or twice a day on to fresh grass. Once when they are small twice as they grow out. They get sun and open air, catch bugs and get to scratch and eat grass along with their feed. They don't sit in their own filth and have to be medicated because of the airborne poo particle they are breathing in causing micro abrasions in their lungs.

They are healthier and they for taste better. Its apparent if you cook one of mine and a store bought bird. The broth from the store bird will have a gray tinted appearance not noticeable until directly with one of my birds.

My egg birds get moved around the farm with the goats and sheep. Their coup is built on a 16' car trailer and stays inside the electro net fence the goats and sheep stay in. They also get commercial feed with some added sunflower seeds. But they free range inside the rotational grazing fence and eat lots of bugs and vegetation.

I have a lot of customers that agree and pay $5lb.and 4.50 dozen eggs And pick them up from the farm.

I guess if someone is raising them in the traditional poop filled mud runs you may be correct on there not being much different.

Some people get it, others don't or choose not to. Just like home grown meat birds costing 3 times what their styrofoam chicken costs.

Re: Picking up my beef !! [Re: M.Magis] #7176586
02/10/21 02:49 PM
02/10/21 02:49 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline OP
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by M.Magis
Because if you actually do the math, it makes more sense to just buy the specific cuts you want then to buy the entire beef. Most cattlemen I know don’t even butcher their own, its not worth the cost to feed one. I do my own because I like to butcher, but even with no processing costs it still doesn’t pencil out. And I’ll only consider butchering one that I know I’ll take a beating on at the sale. Any good steer goes to the sale.
And we eat a lot of roasts, most people don’t need near as many as comes from a whole beef. Same for burger, its way more than most people want. Makes better financial sense to buy steaks when you want them.

Of course Magis ANYTHING I do is wrong. BUT you are smoking dope. I just un loaded my beef 573 lbs total 1642.28 bucks total. I had 19 packs of ribeye 1/2 thick and 2 per pack. 15 T-bone packed 2 per pack 1 in cut. Plus tons of burger and roast . steaks galore. The rib eye and t- bones alone would cost more than what I paid for the ENTIRE beef if I bought it at the grocery store. !!!

Last edited by jbyrd63; 02/10/21 02:58 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread