No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CBD Oil [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7177626
02/11/21 09:46 AM
02/11/21 09:46 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I'm with Finster. I hate to sound cynical, and obviously some have really done their homework (beaverpeeler) but the truth is a lot of people who wouldn't use it before legalization are jumping on the health benefits bandwagon to enjoy getting high while trying to avoid the stigma still surrounding the stoner lifestyle.

If you can have a good time AND feel healthier, I don’t see the problem.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: CBD Oil [Re: Bob] #7177631
02/11/21 09:50 AM
02/11/21 09:50 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Bob
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I'm with Finster. I hate to sound cynical, and obviously some have really done their homework (beaverpeeler) but the truth is a lot of people who wouldn't use it before legalization are jumping on the health benefits bandwagon to enjoy getting high while trying to avoid the stigma still surrounding the stoner lifestyle.

If you can have a good time AND feel healthier, I don’t see the problem.

I don't disagree Bob, just stating my observation. I could care less about legalization but in our part of the world our liberal government didn't do enough to protect young people and failed to capitalize correctly on the taxation end of things, not to say I have intimate knowledge just IMO. Anybody with half a brain can see that alcohol is way more problematic for society.

Last edited by Crit-R-Dun; 02/11/21 09:52 AM.
Re: CBD Oil [Re: Finster] #7177643
02/11/21 10:08 AM
02/11/21 10:08 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Originally Posted by Finster
I guess this is where I stir the pot (no pun intended) and say at the very least I'm skeptical about this new "wonder drug". Do I think it has some benefits for certain illnesses? Yes I do. Do I think it cures everything from warts to a broken back. Well, I think that's a bunch of hokum. Though I admit I haven't tried it myself. A positive drug test would end my career so I'm not willing to risk that. I'm not spouting off out of pure ignorance here, I have researched this a little. I think after all the dust settles, it will be effective for a very narrow host of problems. Right now, it is all the rage and not many studies have been done. The good part is that it doesn't really seem like you can OD or it can hurt you badly unless you count your wallet. Here is an article I found on WebMD that sums things up fairly well.

CBD Oil: All the Rage, But Is It Safe & Effective?

MONDAY, May 7, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Cannabidiol (CBD) oil has become the hot new product in states that have legalized medical marijuana.

The non-intoxicating marijuana extract is being credited with helping treat a host of medical problems -- everything from epileptic seizures to anxiety to inflammation to sleeplessness.

But experts say the evidence is scant for most of these touted benefits.

Worse, CBD is being produced without any regulation, resulting in products that vary widely in quality, said Marcel Bonn-Miller, an adjunct assistant professor of psychology in psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

"It really is the Wild West," Bonn-Miller said. "Joe Bob who starts up a CBD company could say whatever the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) he wants on a label and sell it to people."

Cannabidiol is extracted from the flowers and buds of marijuana or hemp plants. It does not produce intoxication; marijuana's "high" is caused by the chemical tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

CBD oil is legal in 30 states where medicinal and/or recreational marijuana is legal, according to Governing magazine.

Seventeen additional states have CBD-specific laws on the books, according to Prevention magazine. Those are Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Strong Evidence for Treating Epilepsy

Only one purported use for cannabidiol, to treat epilepsy, has significant scientific evidence supporting it.

Last month, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel unanimously recommended approval of the CBD medication Epidiolex to treat two rare forms of childhood epilepsy.

"That's really the only area where the evidence has risen to the point where the FDA has said this is acceptable to approve a new drug," said Timothy Welty, chair of the department of clinical sciences at Drake University's College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, in Des Moines, Iowa.

For the rest of CBD's potential uses, there is simply too little evidence to make a firm conclusion.

For example, some human clinical trials suggest that CBD could be effective in treating symptoms of anxiety, particularly social anxiety, Bonn-Miller said.

This is the potential use for CBD with the most evidence after usefulness in epilepsy, but "there's a decent gap between those two," he said.

"There have been clinical trials in adults, but a lot smaller than the epilepsy studies that have been done in kids," Bonn-Miller said.

CBD's usefulness as an anti-inflammatory medication is the next most promising, but those results come mostly from animal studies, experts said.

Most Other Uses Largely Unproven

The rest of the potential uses -- as an antipsychotic, antidepressant or sleep aid "have all been studied in animals, with only one or two examples of studies in humans," Bonn-Miller said.

And Welty said the studies that have featured humans for these other CBD uses have either been case reports or studies that did not compare results against a control group that did not use the oil.

"There's no control, so it's basically how do you know if we're dealing with the true effect of the drug or just simply a placebo effect because somebody thinks they've been given a drug that will be beneficial?" Welty said.

There also are concerns about both the quality of CBD oil being produced and its potential side effects, the experts added.

Lack of Regulation Also Concerning

Because of the legally murky nature of marijuana, the FDA has not stepped in to regulate products like CBD oil, Bonn-Miller said. States are struggling to put regulations in place, but they don't have the deep pockets of the federal government.

Meanwhile, a 2017 study led by Bonn-Miller found that nearly 7 of 10 CBD products didn't contain the amount of marijuana extract promised on the label.

Nearly 43 percent of the products contained too little CBD, while about 26 percent contained too much, Bonn-Miller said.

"CBD is kind of a tricky drug because it's not very well absorbed orally," Welty explained. "Less than 20 percent of the drug is absorbed orally. If it isn't made in the right way, you may not be getting much drug into your systemic circulation."

Worse, about 1 in 5 CBD products contained the intoxicating pot chemical THC, Bonn-Miller and his colleagues found.

"That's a problem because THC can increase anxiety. It can actually make seizures worse. Those are the sorts of things you need to be careful about," Bonn-Miller said.

"If I were a consumer, purchasing it for myself or my kid, I would want to test it so that I knew what it actually had in it, because I couldn't trust what was on the label," Bonn-Miller concluded.

Potential Interactions With Other Meds

Studies on CBD also have raised concerns about possible interactions with other drugs.

For example, epilepsy studies found that "there were very clearly increases in the blood levels of some other anti-epileptic drugs when people were on CBD," Welty said.

This could mean that people taking anti-epilepsy drugs alongside CBD will need to adjust their dosage downward to avoid side effects, Welty noted.

There also is some indication that CBD might harm the liver. About 10 percent of people taking CBD in studies had increases in liver enzymes, which would indicate possible liver damage, Welty said.

"About 2 to 3 percent of individuals taking CBD actually had to discontinue because their liver enzymes went so high it was of concern to the people running the study," he said.

Welty recommends that people interested in CBD seek out a doctor who has read up on the extract and its potential uses.

"My bottom-line advice is people really need to be under the care of a health care provider who understands CBD. They need to be monitored and managed by that individual, and not just go out and buy CBD thinking it's going to be the answer," Welty said.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20180507/cbd-oil-all-the-rage-but-is-it-safe-effective

I don’t pretend to know the science behind it, I just know from some personal experience and from folks I know who use it that it does do a lot of good for some people. Indica as a sleep aid is definitely true. About 13 years ago I tried some, it made me giggly and then hungry and then sleepy. I slept for 4 hours and I have never, before or since, woke up feeling more rested and energetic. Something in it allows your brain to enter a deeper more effective sleep.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: CBD Oil [Re: Bob] #7177711
02/11/21 10:41 AM
02/11/21 10:41 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Bob

I don’t pretend to know the science behind it, I just know from some personal experience and from folks I know who use it that it does do a lot of good for some people. Indica as a sleep aid is definitely true. About 13 years ago I tried some, it made me giggly and then hungry and then sleepy. I slept for 4 hours and I have never, before or since, woke up feeling more rested and energetic. Something in it allows your brain to enter a deeper more effective sleep.

Possible but was CBD even available 13 years ago? I don't think it was. If you are talking about trying pot, yes, they are all effects from smoking pot as anyone that smokes it can tell you. Small amounts of alcohol, if you are not a drinker, can produce the same effects. If it was CBD and it only happened once, I would suggest the placebo effect.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177721
02/11/21 10:48 AM
02/11/21 10:48 AM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
My mom tried it and couldn't tell it did anything for her pain. I think she went through two bottles of the stuff before she decided it just wasn't going to work for her.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: CBD Oil [Re: TurkeyWrangler] #7177738
02/11/21 10:54 AM
02/11/21 10:54 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
My mom tried it and couldn't tell it did anything for her pain. I think she went through two bottles of the stuff before she decided it just wasn't going to work for her.

My wife tried it also. She thinks it helped with her mood. I think that it was the placebo effect. I think it was around $40 an ounce or something like that. I didn't complain about the cost but I thought it was a scam. Luckily, she just stopped using it and hasn't really brought it up much. Her hippy friend talked her into how great it was and how it solved all of life's problems. My wife can be gullible at times. Especially around friends that she trust no matter how stupid they are.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: CBD Oil [Re: TurkeyWrangler] #7177889
02/11/21 12:30 PM
02/11/21 12:30 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY

X2. What works for one person doesn't always work for others. Try it yourself and make your own conclusions

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: CBD Oil [Re: Finster] #7177894
02/11/21 12:34 PM
02/11/21 12:34 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada

My wife tried it also. She thinks it helped with her mood. I think that it was the placebo effect. I think it was around $40 an ounce or something like that. I didn't complain about the cost but I thought it was a scam. Luckily, she just stopped using it and hasn't really brought it up much. Her hippy friend talked her into how great it was and how it solved all of life's problems. My wife can be gullible at times. Especially around friends that she trust no matter how stupid they are.

My wife tried it also. It definitely helped with her mood. grin

Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177898
02/11/21 12:38 PM
02/11/21 12:38 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you want to change your mood slug back a 26er of tequila.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: CBD Oil [Re: Finster] #7177900
02/11/21 12:40 PM
02/11/21 12:40 PM
Northern Illinois
J
JackD Offline
trapper
JackD  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Illinois

I will admit at first I THOUGHT that much of what my wife and I were experiencing with CBD oil could have been a "placebo effect". That was until I saw what it was doing for dogs. After using it on my own dogs...there was absolutely no doubt it was helping both of them with their issues. One has anxiety issues and hates fireworks and storms. The other dog used to have problems with reverse sneezing. Sometimes several times a day. Her reverse sneezing has stopped almost completely and her attacks have become much less severe. The other dog's anxiety is nowhere near as bad as it was before. And when it gets bad we give him a little extra oil and he calms right down within just a minute or two.

I can guarantee that my two dumb dogs ain't smart enough to know what CBD oil is supposed to do for them. laugh laugh laugh

Mr. CBD
Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177909
02/11/21 12:45 PM
02/11/21 12:45 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Are they eating all the Doritos in the house?

Re: CBD Oil [Re: Boco] #7177914
02/11/21 12:47 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Boco
If you want to change your mood slug back a 26er of tequila.

Yeah, but then you're back to listening to rock music and chasing wild women.

Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177915
idaho
G
grumpa Offline
trapper
grumpa  Offline
trapper
G

idaho
All this info is confusing to an old fart. So for hurting arthritic joints [knees,knuclkes,elbows] do you get liquid or cream to rub on? And does the stuff you put under your tongue helps your joints? which works quicker for joint pain?? asking for a friend.

Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177922
02/11/21 12:50 PM
02/11/21 12:50 PM
idaho
G
grumpa Offline
trapper
grumpa  Offline
trapper
G

idaho
And which kind makes you chase wild women? More importantly, which one helps you catch wild women?

Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177924
02/11/21 12:52 PM
02/11/21 12:52 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.

I will admit at first I THOUGHT that much of what my wife and I were experiencing with CBD oil could have been a "placebo effect". That was until I saw what it was doing for dogs. After using it on my own dogs...there was absolutely no doubt it was helping both of them with their issues. One has anxiety issues and hates fireworks and storms. The other dog used to have problems with reverse sneezing. Sometimes several times a day. Her reverse sneezing has stopped almost completely and her attacks have become much less severe. The other dog's anxiety is nowhere near as bad as it was before. And when it gets bad we give him a little extra oil and he calms right down within just a minute or two.

I can guarantee that my two dumb dogs ain't smart enough to know what CBD oil is supposed to do for them. laugh laugh laugh[/quote]

Your dog has anxiety issues?lol.
Take him to the doggy psychiatrist instead of giving him dope.

Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177941
02/11/21 01:07 PM
02/11/21 01:07 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I know of a guy who had a dog that had been hit by a car and could barely walk. After a few days of CBD it was catching frisbees.

I am actually looking into making dried beaver jerkey CBD trees for dogs. There is a huge market for pets.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177945
02/11/21 01:11 PM
02/11/21 01:11 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
BTW, I agree with the idea that CBD does not work for everybody or for every condition. But if you don't try it you don't know.

There is lots of anecdotal evidence that it helps arthritic conditions and normal muscle aches and pains. Also it helps most people sleep at night.
Did not work for my sister though. So true enough, doesn't work for everybody.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177965
02/11/21 01:27 PM
02/11/21 01:27 PM
Northern Illinois
J
JackD Offline
trapper
JackD  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Illinois
For those who may not know...

anxiety noun

anx·​i·​ety | \ aŋ-ˈzī-ə-tē
\
plural anxieties
Definition of anxiety

1a(1) : apprehensive uneasiness or nervousness usually over an impending or anticipated ill : a state of being anxious More Buddhist uprisings in South Vietnam in the spring of 1966 intensified my anxiety.

(2) medical : an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physical signs (such as tension, sweating, and increased pulse rate), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it

b : mentally distressing concern or interest

c : a strong desire sometimes mixed with doubt, fear, or uneasiness

*And if you're not able to recognize these symptoms in your dog...perhaps it's you that needs to see a psychiatrist and get off of the dope?

Mr. CBD
Re: CBD Oil [Re: MB750] #7177993
02/11/21 01:46 PM
02/11/21 01:46 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Off topic but: We have 2 dogs. One lives outside year round tethered with a chain and cable run. It is the most loyal, intelligent, happy, well disciplined dog you'll ever meet. The other lives in the house, on our couches and in our bed at night, is pampered, fed treats, cuddled, bathed and groomed and generally all round treated like a king. It's an idiot, undisciplined, barks constantly, prone to biting if it doesn't get it's way, plagued with anxiety issues and related bad habits and occasionally craps on the floor. And folks hint that we're inhumane for having a dog tethered in the yard.

Re: CBD Oil [Re: JackD] #7177996
02/11/21 01:47 PM
02/11/21 01:47 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by JackD
For those who may not know...

anxiety noun

anx·​i·​ety | \ aŋ-ˈzī-ə-tē
\
plural anxieties
Definition of anxiety

1a(1) : apprehensive uneasiness or nervousness usually over an impending or anticipated ill : a state of being anxious More Buddhist uprisings in South Vietnam in the spring of 1966 intensified my anxiety.

(2) medical : an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physical signs (such as tension, sweating, and increased pulse rate), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it

b : mentally distressing concern or interest

c : a strong desire sometimes mixed with doubt, fear, or uneasiness

*And if you're not able to recognize these symptoms in your dog...perhaps it's you that needs to see a psychiatrist and get off of the dope?

Shoot it-get another dog.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread