No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181302
02/13/21 11:51 PM
02/13/21 11:51 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Would they work with those Asian Carp ??

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181370
02/14/21 12:32 AM
02/14/21 12:32 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I never tried it for those asian carp....but I doubt it. Heck back in the 80's there weren't any around.

There are other traps that work for them though. Combination of nets with funnels. Fluke nets I believe is what they are called. Here in a local river the comm. guys can catch 1000's of lbs a night with them.

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: il.trapper] #7181434
02/14/21 01:39 AM
02/14/21 01:39 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by il.trapper
most of what we caught were channels. We caught a pretty fair share of blues at times also. Every once in a while we would find a flattie in a trap. Most of the fish we caught were what we called "fiddlers", small fish in the 2-4 lb. range. Which at that time was what the markets wanted. For the larger fish I used bait lines and nets.

The traps wouldn't weigh much. Till ya cleared the water with them.....LOL It will work ya pretty hard trying to pull 500-600 lbs over the side of a boat. I was by myself a lot of the time so I pulled them up to the boat and started getting the fish out and into the fish tank instead of fighting all that weight. I can tell ya, when the current is running it can get harry out there in a river. Worst time was when I would get a net, line, or trap up and a dang barge came around a bend. Ya gotta work real fast or drop it back and wait.

hardest job I ever had, but I loved every minute of it.

I targeted mainly bigger 20lb+ blues. Skin and filets chunked. I usually only went after fiddlers for myself. Loved it as well but the hardest part for me was collecting enough bait to keep 300 hooks baited.

Most folks don't know those barges have a dead spot where you can't hear the engines coming. That spot is directly in front of the tow as the tow blocks the sound. My river was pretty narrow, just wide enough for one way passage of a single wide tow, and twisty between bluffs. Those beasts could be on top of you before you knew it. More than once running lines at night I've looked up to see a bow light bearing down on me.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181440
02/14/21 01:50 AM
02/14/21 01:50 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
It was interesting making that run to the bank as they passed by, the undertow would literally suck the water out from under the boat and leave me in the mud until the water returned.
The lines were bad to get twisted up from barge traffic until I figured out just how to rig them. Each dropper was attached the its own swivel that was threaded onto the line and could freely rotate around the main line the each main line had a barrel swivel and snap on each end. Every part of the line was free to swivel independently.
That and plenty of weight to keep them down saved them from barges but couldn't do nothing for what usually happened around this time year when the rains came and flushed logs downstream. If I were still on my river I'd probably be pulling lines about now.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181452
02/14/21 02:12 AM
02/14/21 02:12 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Warrior I know those feelings. Tn. river (KY Lake) is a wide river/lake. Of course the tows run the channel 99% of the time. But with weather conditions and/or wind they will get out of the channel and create havoc with fishing gear. I can't begin to recall all the times I had those big boys sneak up on me in the fog. Sometimes in the middle of the day or night it didn't even have to be foggy.

The Cumberland is a narrow river. With a lot of twists and turns. Not only would the tows sneak up on ya, but on that river you learned real quick how they handled the turns. Most of the time you want to be on the inside of the bend, but not always. A lot depended on which way the tow was headed, current at the time, and even how that particular captain drove his boat. I have had the head barges close enough I could push off of them with my hands. Most captains were pretty nice fellas, but some I think tried to get ya sometimes. Best way to deal with them was to know the rules and give them all the room they needed. A 18ft. river boat aint no match for a multi ton tow.

And yes, they do suck the water out from under ya. One way I could tell if one was coming that I couldn't see was by watching the water. If it dropped real quick, I knew one was coming. It is hard to believe just how much water they pull.

Snowy don't mean to hijack your thread, I just enjoy talking about things I have done and things I have really enjoyed.

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181462
02/14/21 02:32 AM
02/14/21 02:32 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Oh yeah, almost always run to the inside as the channel runs outside and I've seen some of them knuckleheads put the tow on the bluff and scrape their way around. I've heard tell that downriver where things flatten out they even take the tows across cow pastures and cornfields when the river gets up in the spring. Rule of the road, biggest boat rules. LOL

Sometimes I really do miss my river.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181575
02/14/21 08:33 AM
02/14/21 08:33 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
good read , thanks guys

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181585
02/14/21 08:45 AM
02/14/21 08:45 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
No worry about hijacking not a problem one bit. I and a lot of others I bet enjoyed your experience trapping fish. Very interesting and thank you for sharing those stories.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181596
02/14/21 08:58 AM
02/14/21 08:58 AM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Cool Trap Snowy

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7181997
02/14/21 02:29 PM
02/14/21 02:29 PM
Iowa-Mississippi River
D
Daves Decoys Offline
trapper
Daves Decoys  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa-Mississippi River
I used those basket traps back in the late 60's early 70's when we commercial fished here on the Mississip. When you'd find a deep hole carved out under a bank edge about 15-20' deep you would anchor the end, pull the trap out diagonal to the current tight then drop it and let it roll up under the bank. We used the same method with hoop nets depending on river levels.
The round ones were called basket traps and the square were box traps, at least that's what we called them here on my part of the river. During the winter we use to make a bunch of both back then too and also made/fixed nets. A relative of mine still makes little box traps and gives to relatives just for show and he still commercial fishes just for catfish for relatives and family fish fry's and maybe a beer or 6.

Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave
ITA Lifetime member
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7182024
02/14/21 02:45 PM
02/14/21 02:45 PM
Metropolis Il.
S
story Offline
trapper
story  Offline
trapper
S

Metropolis Il.
I always used them this time of year. Very good for catching fish to stock ponds with. Have a power plant nearby with hot water discharge and they work great in it.

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: story] #7182037
02/14/21 02:52 PM
02/14/21 02:52 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by story
I always used them this time of year. Very good for catching fish to stock ponds with. Have a power plant nearby with hot water discharge and they work great in it.

The best fishing this time year was on the other fork of the river, the mulberry fork, that we called the big river. Gorges Steam Plant discharged into the river and the water would be warm a mile or two downstream. Skipjack and shad would pile up and so would the cats.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7182105
02/14/21 03:43 PM
02/14/21 03:43 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Great stories.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Wood Lathe Fish Trap [Re: snowy] #7182188
02/14/21 05:16 PM
02/14/21 05:16 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
LOL While fishing them back then I also had a power plant near me. On the water it was about a 20-25 min. ride. I headed up there one cold cold day, against the advice of an old timer, to set a few baskets. I couldn't find a spot big enough that didn't already have one!! Everybody that owned a basket had beat me to the punch!!! LOL I would have liked to know how many cats were caught on a given week right there.

It was mentioned about the tows going across pastures and such during high water. I never seen that but I did see tows a long way from where they should of been. One broke loose slidin around the checker board bluff one night with two of the barges wound up in the tree tops about a mile down river. One got pushed sideways and went down tearing out a bunch of trees with it. When the river dropped back there was chunk coal all over that island. For a few days.....LOL Later that winter ya could smell coal smoke everywhere. Folks down there never let anything go to waste. Some kids made a good chunk of money selling that stuff.

One part of comm. fishing was finding stuff along the river. There were spots all along them where you could see where the injuns had had camps. It was pointed out to me by a fella who worked at the Smithsonian Inst. We would stop and pick all sorts of artifacts. Right where I was there was all sorts of Civil stuff too. The canons of Ft. Donelson were said to be right there but were never found. With the better sonar now I am surprised some one hasn't found them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread