No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185631
02/16/21 10:10 PM
02/16/21 10:10 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
[Linked Image]

Decided it would be fun to shoot some video in the snow and no no no just no. Guys I'm of a tropical people ,not to mention I'm born and raised in satan's hot sweaty arm pit, I DONT FUNCTION PROPERLY IN THIS CRAP! Heck I can't feel my toes still my bad knee sounds like a bowl or rice krispies after you poured the milk in, the 15% Irish I have in my is telling me to break out the liquor to warm up and everything else is saying go hibernate .And ya know I've delayed with 12 degrees in the desert, dry cold isn't that bad but this is wet sticky cold it didn't just go away it sticks to you smirk I Swear if I have kids and they start saying they want alot of snow there's gonna be problems laugh

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: Deerhunter51] #7185660
02/16/21 10:27 PM
02/16/21 10:27 PM
TN
P
Paulco Offline
trapper
Paulco  Offline
trapper
P

TN
Originally Posted by Deerhunter51
11 degrees in TN this morning with 4” of weird white stuff on the ground - ready for spring to get here..

Deerhunter, it was 5 degrees here in middle TN this morning but finally got up to 17. We have had lots of freezing rain and snow on top of it. I guess more is coming too. My house is an old farm house that is drafty and very cold.

A wicked man saved by Christ
Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7185662
02/16/21 10:28 PM
02/16/21 10:28 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker
I cannot remember seeing sparrows and what looks like a big wren eating on other dead birds but I have now. Both male and female red birds and spanish doves, then mourning doves were freezing to death and the others birds are eating them.

A neighbor called yesterday and said he had found several black buck antelope froze to death.

I left water faucets running slow in the house and it still froze somewhere plus the septic system is frozen. I have a small heater going in the well house, so still have water there.

Water troughs have frozen solid so I am having to get water out of the well house and get to horses.

I have slipped and fell every day for the last three days. We have a solid sheet of ice under snow and have to be really careful getting around. My feet went out from under me yesterday afternoon and I landed flat of my back. I was lucky that my head didn't hit. Sure does hurt today.

Pretty tough when you are pushing 80. I can remember one time in the 1950's, once in the 1970's and once in the 1980's it was really bad cold similar to now but I was a lot younger then and it wasn't as hard as now.

Gotta be careful. Of course I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else...

I made a firewood run the other day. Found a deadfall Hackberry and figured I would add it to the woodpile. It had fallen across a small branch of the creek which was fortunately frozen solid... I knew it wasn't stable so I was being careful, but not careful enough. It rolled and I caught an 8 inch branch across the head and wound up flat on my back on the ice... My head, left ear, and left shoulder look like they went a round with a jackhammer. But the worst part is that when I went down my foot kicked something and pretty sure I broke my left big toe.

My wife was with me, I think I took a few years off of her life with that one.

Stuff sure hurts more than it did 10 years ago. Good times.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185680
02/16/21 10:37 PM
02/16/21 10:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I hate to here about you guys suffering down there like this but it is a little humorous to hear your guys describing what you think about the cold. It was minus 16 up here this morning, the morning before minus 10 with a negative 30 wind chill and never got above zero. Had to spend almost a hour and a half on the four wheeler bringing heavies up. About the second coldest I ever remember seeing it up here but we are use to single digits at least once most winters. I was shedding clothes at -5 yesterday because I was getting too hot, never would have that was possible.

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185688
02/16/21 10:40 PM
02/16/21 10:40 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Snowing and 17 in Dallas so not as bad as last few nights. The cold doesn't bother these Michiganders of old, but our home in SA had the Mrs. up in the attic thawing (and guarding) water pipes that homes down here run in the top of the house for some odd reason. Plus our water heaters sit outside like we're in Phoenix.

Donna finally took a breath today as she was "after it" these last three COLD nights. I got me a good Mrs. and I couldn't even attempt to find a road to go 300 miles south because the parking lot at seminary has the gate frozen shut and since DTS is closed this week, the ancillary lot where I park my rig is not a concern.

8 in SA is way colder than the pipes appreciate and we have a fairly large casa with all sorts of "hot weather" finery that needs TLC this week.
Rolling back outs made using heaters tricky Missy told me.
The people are rugged. Stucco with exposed piping is not.
Did I mention I really, really, really like fossil fuels.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: Yes sir] #7185691
02/16/21 10:42 PM
02/16/21 10:42 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I hate to here about you guys suffering down there like this but it is a little humorous to hear your guys describing what you think about the cold. It was minus 16 up here this morning, the morning before minus 10 with a negative 30 wind chill and never got above zero. Had to spend almost a hour and a half on the four wheeler bringing heavies up. About the second coldest I ever remember seeing it up here but we are use to single digits at least once most winters. I was shedding clothes at -5 yesterday because I was getting too hot, never would have that was possible.

Stick your water pipes on everything you own out in the elements and it takes on a whole new meaning. wink

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185697
02/16/21 10:45 PM
02/16/21 10:45 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Your hot water heater sets outside??

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185704
02/16/21 10:50 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
We have had a few waters froze up each morning here but again we are use to it so we have the equipment and know how to thaw them out. When nothing is built for extended frigid weather it doesn't sound good for you guys. I'd hope it warms up fast down there for everyone.

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185705

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

That is not uncommon in the Deep South. Very efficient to have radiant heat all year warm your water. We have two outside plus our softener also. Donna built a tent city over them with a heater but the power is out quite often so the electric heater comes and goes. I got rid of my big space heaters when we moved from Nebraska.

Grandpa made it. So will we.

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185843
02/17/21 01:50 AM
02/17/21 01:50 AM
Interior Alaska
30/06 Offline
trapper
30/06  Offline
trapper

Interior Alaska
Can those of you with vulnerable plumbing depressurize your water system and drain out the system before it freezes? I do that occasionally in bitter cold as my crawl space, though insulated, can get below freezing in bitter cold, and I don't really trust heat tape.

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: 30/06] #7185848
02/17/21 01:58 AM
02/17/21 01:58 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by 30/06
Can those of you with vulnerable plumbing depressurize your water system and drain out the system before it freezes? I do that occasionally in bitter cold as my crawl space, though insulated, can get below freezing in bitter cold, and I don't really trust heat tape.

With a week or more predicted, trying to keep the water functioning to some degree.
We can dip water out of our pond, which in South Texas, they call a swimming pool. grin

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7185989
02/17/21 09:12 AM
02/17/21 09:12 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
I see now another mess is hitting the south and eastern states. I hope all are doing fine.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: Wolfdog91] #7186018
02/17/21 09:37 AM
02/17/21 09:37 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
Great idea and perfect form.

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
[Linked Image]

Decided it would be fun to shoot some video in the snow and no no no just no. Guys I'm of a tropical people ,not to mention I'm born and raised in satan's hot sweaty arm pit, I DONT FUNCTION PROPERLY IN THIS CRAP! Heck I can't feel my toes still my bad knee sounds like a bowl or rice krispies after you poured the milk in, the 15% Irish I have in my is telling me to break out the liquor to warm up and everything else is saying go hibernate .And ya know I've delayed with 12 degrees in the desert, dry cold isn't that bad but this is wet sticky cold it didn't just go away it sticks to you smirk I Swear if I have kids and they start saying they want alot of snow there's gonna be problems laugh

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7186028
02/17/21 09:50 AM
02/17/21 09:50 AM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
More snow last night, more now, & more to come. Deep freeze again tonight & tomorrow night. First, everyone was being asked to turn down thermostats, etc. to conserve supply. Then the blackouts. Now the gas companies are shutting off gas to some customers. My brother works for one of the largest hospitals in the region. Their gas was cut yesterday & they went to diesel generators. AOG says their natural gas supplies are down by 1/3 but the demand is greatly increased.

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7186057
02/17/21 10:12 AM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Thanks for the thoughtfulness

It is definitely a beating for us as these kinds of temps are unheard of

It was 0 here yesterday morning, I don't know if it has ever been that cold here

Power grid is down, mine was just out for 39hours but as of now back on.

Re: Hope all are fine in the South [Re: snowy] #7186058
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
^ not sure why this shortage has to be. Unacceptable.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread