No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares #7184476
02/16/21 09:43 AM
02/16/21 09:43 AM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
Anyone have a good idea for how to attach a magnetic reed switch to a snare without it interfering too much with functionality of the snare itself? This is for a homemade electronic trap monitor. My feeble mind has been working on this for a couple days and I'm not coming up with anything clever. Here's an example of a magnetic reed switch, it looks like this and is typically found on alarm systems for doors and windows:
https://www.amazon.com/Normal-Recessed-Magnetic-Contacts-Switch/dp/B0056K5ZC2
The circuit switches ON when the 2 magnetic parts separate.

Obviously when the animal gets wrapped up in the snare, those 2 pieces need to separate to turn on the switch, or I need to find another better way to trigger the electronics. Another factor to consider in the design is I need to keep the waterproof box containing all the electronics safely away from where the animal will be, otherwise the equipment could be easily damaged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Tra; 02/16/21 10:08 AM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185148
02/16/21 04:56 PM
02/16/21 04:56 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
A piece of fishing line should do it

Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185187
02/16/21 05:27 PM
02/16/21 05:27 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
A snare works by a critter pulling on it. So you just need your switch somewhere in the line of pull- i.e. between the noose and the anchor point. How exactly you attach it depends on your snare setup. But basically you just need to leave a loop of slack in the cable and attach the magnets across the slack so they separate when the cable goes taut.

Edit: I drew ya a quick phone sketch. Maybe this isn't what you're asking about at all, but it's what I pictured.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KenaiKid; 02/16/21 05:40 PM.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185194
02/16/21 05:32 PM
02/16/21 05:32 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Tra
I need to keep the waterproof box containing all the electronics safely away from where the animal will be, !!

I would recycle a dead trail cam

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: traprjohn] #7185208
02/16/21 05:41 PM
02/16/21 05:41 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted by Tra
I need to keep the waterproof box containing all the electronics safely away from where the animal will be, !!

Are you saying you want the magnet switch inside a box?

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185262
02/16/21 06:18 PM
02/16/21 06:18 PM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
How big a container do you need for the electronics ? Or are you meaning the magnetic switch? I would screw the wired switch to the container inside and screw the movable magnet to a small piece of wood to set in front of the wired switch so it can slide away and activate the switch. I would secure a thin wire cable to the piece of wood holding the moveable part and run the other end of the thin cable through the bottom of the container and leave a small amount of cable hanging out the bottom and make a loop with a double farell . Then attach fish line from the cable loop to the snare so the fish line will pull the cable and move the switch magnet and set off the alarm . I would use small test fishing line so it would break when the snare was triggered. Probably need a piece of wood for a shelf to set the moveable magnet on to line up with the wired switch.

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185304
02/16/21 06:49 PM
02/16/21 06:49 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

lol

-Goofy-
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185389
02/16/21 07:46 PM
02/16/21 07:46 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Any thing reusable on the snare probably will not be after a catch, unless your using snare entanglement for quick dispatch.

Just a thought about the process, are you using something to read the circuit when it goes off. If so you are going to need something a bit more robust than what your speaking off, cost of such is pretty high to be losing in every catch. Just be mindful of this

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185447
02/16/21 08:25 PM
02/16/21 08:25 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Use a piece of pipe to anchor the snare with about 3 feet out of the ground. Put your device at the top and feed the “breakaway” inside the pile and out a hole in the side at the ground. Attach it to the snare. The catch breaks the alarm, churns out a nice catch circle and your device is safe at the top of the pipe for the next set.

-Goofy-
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: KenaiKid] #7185625
02/16/21 10:06 PM
02/16/21 10:06 PM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
A snare works by a critter pulling on it. So you just need your switch somewhere in the line of pull- i.e. between the noose and the anchor point. How exactly you attach it depends on your snare setup. But basically you just need to leave a loop of slack in the cable and attach the magnets across the slack so they separate when the cable goes taut.

Edit: I drew ya a quick phone sketch. Maybe this isn't what you're asking about at all, but it's what I pictured.

[Linked Image]

KenaiKid, thank you kindly for your sketch. That's what I was thinking as well. What's actually got me stumped is the details of how to hold the parts to the cable. All I can think of is using a zip tie but I want to use something stronger that won't slide around. Maybe I can melt the zip ties on to the cable so they are resistant to sliding around. My preference would be to use wire rope button stops but my snares are already built so whatever I use has to go OVER the cable and not slide onto it, if that makes sense. Is there any hardware that can be bolted to cable that will form a stop or a stationary loop I can tie to? I am new to trapping and unfamiliar with the hardware available. It would need to clamp to 1/8" 7x19 Stainless Steel cable.

Edit: posted 1 hardware option I found below. I assume there are better options available, I just don't know them.

Last edited by Tra; 02/16/21 11:40 PM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: GritGuy] #7185632
02/16/21 10:12 PM
02/16/21 10:12 PM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
Originally Posted by GritGuy
Any thing reusable on the snare probably will not be after a catch, unless your using snare entanglement for quick dispatch.

Just a thought about the process, are you using something to read the circuit when it goes off. If so you are going to need something a bit more robust than what your speaking off, cost of such is pretty high to be losing in every catch. Just be mindful of this

Sorry, I don't understand your question "are you using something to read the circuit when it goes off"

Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: KenaiKid] #7185637
02/16/21 10:15 PM
02/16/21 10:15 PM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
Originally Posted by KenaiKid

Are you saying you want the magnet switch inside a box?

No, the magnetic switch will be as you drew in your sketch.

Edit: Actually, after reading Vermontsters suggestions, putting at least the wired portion of the magnetic switch inside the box is probably better than having it flopping around loosely on the snare's extension wire.

Last edited by Tra; 02/16/21 10:43 PM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: vermontster] #7185674
02/16/21 10:35 PM
02/16/21 10:35 PM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
Originally Posted by vermontster
How big a container do you need for the electronics ?

Planning on using a 1 liter waterproof case from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSF7MQO

Or are you meaning the magnetic switch?

Yes I'm trying to figure out a reliable place to put the switch where it won't get torn up after every use.

I would screw the wired switch to the container inside and screw the movable magnet to a small piece of wood to set in front of the wired switch so it can slide away and activate the switch.

Vermontster, that's probably a big improvement on my original idea which was having the switch on the extension cable.

I would screw the wired switch to the container inside and screw the movable magnet to a small piece of wood to set in front of the wired switch so it can slide away and activate the switch. I would secure a thin wire cable to the piece of wood holding the moveable part and run the other end of the thin cable through the bottom of the container and leave a small amount of cable hanging out the bottom and make a loop with a double farell

One part I'm unclear on from your description, are you thinking both parts of the magnetic switch would be stored inside the container? Just getting the wired side of the magnetic switch inside the box rather than flopping around on the extension cable will be a big improvement in design.

Vermontster, thank you very much for your ideas, this is really an improvement over what I had imagined.

Last edited by Tra; 02/16/21 10:40 PM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185702
02/16/21 10:48 PM
02/16/21 10:48 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Well what's the purpose of the switch if your going to be there to check the snare any way ? How are you going to monitor the alarm makes quite a bit of difference in what you using to make the alarm

Trappers have wanted an alarm system for a long time to send a signal to them by phone or radio band for years, the cost is immense to do and not very economical compared to just checking them on a regular basis, most coded by law any way. Besides being against the law in may areas, just like you can't use a drone to check sets either, though I know it's now done all the time in places.

So I don't get why you wish a alarm on the snare ?

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185721
02/16/21 11:10 PM
02/16/21 11:10 PM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
This is based on Vermontsters smart suggestions, but it seems like the better solution is having the wired portion of the magnetic switch stored inside the box with the rest of the electronics, and then have this type of eyelet magnet attach to the outside of the box, with a wire attached somewhere to the extension cable. I believe this is how the commercial units work. When the animal gets caught and tries to pull, it will pull this magnet off the box, and the alert can be sent. This keeps the electronics including the switch all safely tucked away.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tra; 02/16/21 11:23 PM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185736
02/16/21 11:31 PM
02/16/21 11:31 PM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
I'm thinking of using something like this to attach wire [Linked Image]
to the snare extension cable. As I said, my snares are already built so I don't have the luxury of adding inline parts to the cable anymore. Anyone know what this is called? It comes up on Google as Cable Loop-Cable Cargo Anchor. Anyone have a better idea?

Last edited by Tra; 02/16/21 11:44 PM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185773
02/17/21 12:16 AM
02/17/21 12:16 AM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
Why a magnetic switch. A nail on one side stuck in a wad of aluminum foil for the connection is all you'd need.Let them eat it .Put your sensor anywhere you want.
just

Last edited by AKAjust; 02/17/21 12:20 AM.
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185777
02/17/21 12:18 AM
02/17/21 12:18 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Back in my day, we'd go check the snares by actually looking at them. Old school.

~ADC~

Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: Tra] #7185808
02/17/21 12:51 AM
02/17/21 12:51 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
In places where I need to respond quickly to a catch, like near a home or business, or in a place I don’t want the turf damaged by the catch circle, I just put a cellular trail camera on it and be prepared to go at 3:00am...
If your goal is to just have a light or something you can see at a distance, I think you will find that to be ineffective because sometimes your loop falls and a fallen loop won’t trigger your light, and is no longer functional. You need to visually see the lock at the top to properly check and maintain a snare in working order, and that usually means getting close or having a clear line of sight with optics. Fallen loops are common in my area. Birds, non targets that are too small to be held, non targets too big to fit through the loop can brush by and knock them down, all kinds of ways that happens. And it happens plenty in most situations.
Unless you are within wire-running distance to the location, you will need a transmitter anyway. By the time you do all that, you might as well pay the $150 for a SPYPOINT link-evo with 100 free images a month and use that. And it can double as security camera, deer camera, etc.
Devices like you are working on are fairly simple in terms of engineering and design, and if they had much value on the snare line someone would be selling them.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Need advice - DIY electronic trap monitor - snares [Re: loosanarrow] #7185820
02/17/21 01:14 AM
02/17/21 01:14 AM
Oregon
T
Tra Offline OP
trapper
Tra  Offline OP
trapper
T

Oregon
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
In places where I need to respond quickly to a catch, like near a home or business, or in a place I don’t want the turf damaged by the catch circle, I just put a cellular trail camera on it and be prepared to go at 3:00am...

loosanarrow, thank you. Those are all great suggestions and I appreciate that but I don't have cellular access in my area.

Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Devices like you are working on are fairly simple in terms of engineering and design, and if they had much value on the snare line someone would be selling them.

People are selling them. For example Telonics.com. I like to build my own when I can. For many reasons but here are 2: I can build these cheaper than I can buy them, and when I build it myself, I can make the solution as durable as I want.

Last edited by Tra; 02/17/21 01:48 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread