No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: texans got trouble [Re: Lugnut] #7189011
02/19/21 10:05 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas

That's about a perfect plan. The dehydrated food packages are nice to have as a backup and if you wanted to get out in a hurry. I would sample the dehydrated food prior to buying it. I would add a good dog for 24 hour security and food for him too.

Originally Posted by Lugnut
All the prepper/survivalist sensationalism the last few years sort of cracks me up.

In my family being prepared is just common sense. My parents have a basement full of preserves. Everything you can imagine is jarred/canned and lasts years with no refrigeration required. There is probably enough down there to feed a family of four for months. They add to it every fall.

My collection of canned goods isn't as big but it's getting there. I have a wood stove for heat and cooking. I have a gas cook stove that has pilot lights, no electricity needed (the oven on modern gas stoves won't stay lit without electricity to operate the electronic igniters). I have a spring on the property for fresh water. I have a flock of chickens for fresh eggs and meat.

So there you have it. I have the means to keep myself and my family warm, dry. well-fed and watered and I don't need electricity for any of it.

Generations of my family have lived the same way. We call it common sense.

Preppers...LOL.

I would also add that I have the means and the willingness to protect all that from anyone who thinks they might want to take it from me.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: Leftlane] #7189012
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Lugnut I love watchin those prepper shows where some city geek buys a few acres and then shows everyone what he has and where he keeps it.

Somewhere there is a Johnny Sneakum type thinkin well now I know where I will go when I run out of anything

Truth^^^

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189018
02/19/21 10:09 AM
02/19/21 10:09 AM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Ohio
What dehydrator does each of you use for doing these kind of meals? Not a bad idea.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189020
02/19/21 10:11 AM
02/19/21 10:11 AM
Nw Pa.
O
Outbackbob48 Offline
trapper
Outbackbob48  Offline
trapper
O

Nw Pa.
Marl, I wonder if Representor not leader Beto knows that when you point your finger at people 3 fingers are pointing back at you. HMMMM. Bob

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189031
02/19/21 10:20 AM
02/19/21 10:20 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by danny clifton
https://www.oann.com/texas-faces-food-water-shortages-amid-winter-storm-power-outages/

Could this happen nation wide for something other than weather? How much food should a person have? I am leery of buying one of those dehydrated food packages in a plastic tote. Claims of a two week supply in a 3 gallon bucket are a little hard to believe. So what should a person be squirreling away and how much?

Most everyone up here is prepared for stuff like this,power outages and such,,cause with our weather it happens often but short term.Generator with stabilized fuel put away.Alternative heat sources.Start with enough food and water put away to care for your family for a week.Then work it up to a months worth.Once you've done that,rotate your food accordingly.Also,only put food away that your actualy going to eat.Dried beans and pastas,,vacume sealed in canning jars will last for up to 30 years on the shelf.Salt and sugar put away like that lasts indefinitely.Canned meats and vegetables lasts for two to three years.After you have done this for a while,,you get the hang of it.Start NOW.

Last edited by upstateNY; 02/19/21 10:24 AM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189041
02/19/21 10:29 AM
02/19/21 10:29 AM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada
Leflane, I know enough about mold issue and I agree anyone who has half of a brain should not mess around with this stuff...when the specs start to show on the surface of the walls it is not good news and uncle Bob who knows how to use a harmer but can not certify mold was entirely removed may not cut it.

No doubt crime rate will go up in many neighborhoods and unfortunately more lives will be at risk.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189054
02/19/21 10:37 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Danny
I gotta think them folks down south are more interested in having the A/C work right in summer. Than thinking about few days the furnace runs when it gets cool. Now when it actually very cold and loose power, they are just screwed.. It's simple fact that city infrastructure things cost more here in north. Fire hydrants are all self draining and sprinkler systems in unheated areas are dry systems. Not sure how things are set up in other cities. But the city well house here have diesel back up for the electric pumps. all to add to very good gravity system.. I know that this last cold snap there were still several main breaks even in a system build for cold.
Anyway as much as what people in metro areas can be a prepper. Still lot folks screwed when power goes out for more than 24/48.
I don't have any of the dehydrated meals squirreled away myself just not my thing.. I do know a guy has a boot legged shallow well in his basement. can use old pitcher pump get water push comes to shove..

I grew up kind of off the grid being what was thought of as suburbs back in day. could shoot gun in yard pet cows over the back fence..We had oil heat from old Super Flame oil burner gravity fed so no electricity need to run that. All Ma's canned goods were in what she called cellar. Just unheated basement under the kitchen had ladder no stairs..All the plumbing was also in there under just kitchen and bathroom.. Kitchen cook stove was LP so wasn't and issue. We did loose water when power went out. Could get few gallons water off the pressure tank if really needed. The only one time we were with out power for more than 24 hours was after house took lighting strike. That was during warm weather so heating wasn't issue. Dad got a generator and ran the refrigerator and freezer with that. Power company had to put in a new service and electrician had to do meter box and breaker panel. they were blown out along with lot outlets.
But anyway I just don't think it's realistic to expect mass amounts of people to worry to much about that 1 time..Pretty easy to see that now even at start of covid and was no power loss or cold involved.

I was wondering how they were doing for toilet paper???
Lot them folks probably freak out can't use a proper bathroom. Things get bad my wife is good with 5 gallon bucket with trash bag in it. Done it more than once.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: texans got trouble [Re: jtg] #7189055
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by jtg
Originally Posted by Lugnut

All the prepper/survivalist sensationalism the last few years sort of cracks me up.

In my family being prepared is just common sense. My parents have a basement full of preserves. Everything you can imagine is jarred/canned and lasts years with no refrigeration required. There is probably enough down there to feed a family of four for months. They add to it every fall.

My collection of canned goods isn't as big but it's getting there. I have a wood stove for heat and cooking. I have a gas cook stove that has pilot lights, no electricity needed (the oven on modern gas stoves won't stay lit without electricity to operate the electronic igniters). I have a spring on the property for fresh water. I have a flock of chickens for fresh eggs and meat.

So there you have it. I have the means to keep myself and my family warm, dry. well-fed and watered and I don't need electricity for any of it.

Generations of my family have lived the same way. We call it common sense.

Preppers...LOL.

I would also add that I have the means and the willingness to protect all that from anyone who thinks they might want to take it from me.

That's about a perfect plan. The dehydrated food packages are nice to have as a backup and if you wanted to get out in a hurry. I would sample the dehydrated food prior to buying it. I would add a good dog for 24 hour security and food for him too.

Yes to the dogs, I always had at least one and at times as many as three. They are good alarm systems, they warn me when the UPS man pulls up or the trash man comes or someone knocks on the door (thanks dogs but I can hear all that for myself). LOL

Actually they can hear way better than me and let me know someone is on the property way before I'm aware of it. They are also good at acting as deterrents to Johnny Sneakums when no one is home. In an disaster/emergency situation I would think that we'd be home though.

Eh...wot?

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189069
02/19/21 10:49 AM
02/19/21 10:49 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Danny C., if you and your significant other can stand one another the easiest food item to store is dry beans. I don't know what they cost in your neck of the woods, but around here you can get 100 lbs of navies pretty darn reasonable. I have bought them as cheap as $30 per hundred. They keep for literal decades as long as you store them dry, and they are a great source of protein and nutrition. Rice and wheat berries are good too.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189079
02/19/21 10:54 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
It amazes me that a little cold snap could shut down the power grid. TX has had cold snaps before. Usually all that happens is oranges cost more. Now freezing rain knocking down power lines would shut it down. Has happened here. About 20 years ago we were without power a week. Some people had a rough time. It was inconvenient for all. But this fiasco in TX makes no sense. Were the power lines down or was the power just shut off?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: texans got trouble [Re: Lugnut] #7189080
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Lugnut has it right, that is the way we lived on the farm. Storm coming, fill milk cans w/water for drinking/cooking and fill tub and sinks so we can flush toilet. Year supply of food in cold cellar. Heat with firewood People today will shrivel up and die. Is it so difficult to be responsible for yourself and your family?

Last edited by mike mason; 02/19/21 10:55 AM. Reason: add info
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189086
02/19/21 11:02 AM
02/19/21 11:02 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Online content
trapper
The Beav  Online Content
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I wonder how many of those people In Texas that were melting snow for water thought about draining their water heaters.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: texans got trouble [Re: The Beav] #7189089
02/19/21 11:04 AM
02/19/21 11:04 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by The Beav
I wonder how many of those people In Texas that were melting snow for water thought about draining their water heaters.

I wouldn't drink the water heater water,,but good enough for washing or toilet flushing.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189103
02/19/21 11:15 AM
02/19/21 11:15 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
Danny, Texans have not had this kind of cold, before at least not like this.

Originally Posted by danny clifton
It amazes me that a little cold snap could shut down the power grid. TX has had cold snaps before. Usually all that happens is oranges cost more. Now freezing rain knocking down power lines would shut it down. Has happened here. About 20 years ago we were without power a week. Some people had a rough time. It was inconvenient for all. But this fiasco in TX makes no sense. Were the power lines down or was the power just shut off?

Re: texans got trouble [Re: mike mason] #7189110
02/19/21 11:22 AM
02/19/21 11:22 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by mike mason
Lugnut has it right, that is the way we lived on the farm. Storm coming, fill milk cans w/water for drinking/cooking and fill tub and sinks so we can flush toilet. Year supply of food in cold cellar. Heat with firewood People today will shrivel up and die. Is it so difficult to be responsible for yourself and your family?

Yea. Buy a bucket of assorted MOUNTAINHOUSE freeze dried meals. They have all different sizes. When the shtf these people will b the collateral damage.

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189115
02/19/21 11:28 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
The Mormans have had this figured out for a while. They have the lists and the systems to manage it. You don't stock up in a day, but over time. And different degrees of "ready". Key is to lay it all in, then rotate the stock.

I've been saying ever since 9/11.....it ought to be our civic duty to be able to last at least 2 weeks with no help from the outside. As for food, a month would be better.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189117
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Leftlane
I suppose father north this would be a bigger concern[/font]

Multiple heat sources.

Nevada bound
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189121
02/19/21 11:31 AM
02/19/21 11:31 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
People need to become more self reliant.
Pretty bad when a whole place crumbles like a house of cards from a little bit of(not even real) cold weather.
Weakness is being revealed.

Last edited by Boco; 02/19/21 11:32 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: texans got trouble [Re: mike mason] #7189139
02/19/21 11:40 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by mike mason

Mike
That is kind of how I grew filling the jugs when was a storm coming. In fact my parents were storm spotters radio in conditions in our area..
But for majority of people to be close to handle lot things them self in city is just not practical. Maybe can't even have wood stove or a place to pile wood if they had one.. I know folks here that have pellet stoves for back up or use it for their main heat only run gas as back up. I've thought of doing that myself have pellet stove in basement stash pallet pellets some where. But I've been here 30 some years never needed it. Was 4 days with furnace down last year coldest week of the winter. Was lucky didn't loose power was furnace issue. I got by them 4 days with it - 15 out side and managed to keep house at 62. Would have been different ball game if it was power out. I'd have had to do that with my two small generators baby sit them..

Just a different world and as much as some can get by, is way more can't.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189141
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
store what you ear eat what you store , a months food or more.

really no one learned from last March covid quarantine to keep more food in the house , sad

I think it is because so few know how to cook for themselves.

my brother works for a university , they were doing grid research a few years ago how to keep their server farms fed and vulnerabilities.

that year he bought a generator when he realized how many ways it could fail I helped him install the panel to tie it into the breaker box and sure enough power out opening morning of deer season we had made it simple enough that he walked his wife through starting the generator and flipping the switches and in about 15 minutes we were back to hunting , we were hours away from his house.

this year I helped him with a supply of firewood he doesn't have the best fireplace but it works.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread