No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189402
02/19/21 03:54 PM
02/19/21 03:54 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by danny clifton
winterized windmills? i think this emergency was/is contrived. what exactly can freeze in a windmill?

Everything when its covered in ice.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189409
02/19/21 03:59 PM
02/19/21 03:59 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

It amazes me that a little cold snap could shut down the power grid. TX has had cold snaps before. Usually all that happens is oranges cost more. Now freezing rain knocking down power lines would shut it down. Has happened here. About 20 years ago we were without power a week. Some people had a rough time. It was inconvenient for all. But this fiasco in TX makes no sense. Were the power lines down or was the power just shut off?

Power was turned on and off. Mostly off.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189413
02/19/21 04:01 PM
02/19/21 04:01 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Never enough

[Linked Image]

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189414
02/19/21 04:02 PM
02/19/21 04:02 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
those blades are huge. it doesn't look it but they are going 100mph at the tip. unless they were not turning anyway how did they freeze up? still doesnt explain the no wind thing. it doesn't blow all the time. if they did somehow shut down to ice, (they dont here in KS btw) that still doesn't explain the no electricity. Bottom line is that once again we are being lied to. SOMEWHERE THERE ARE MULTIPLE CONVENTIONAL POWER STATIONS FOR WHEN THE WIND AINT BLOWING

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189419
02/19/21 04:05 PM
02/19/21 04:05 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
sugar, salt, coffee and virga someone once told me make great trading stock.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189421
02/19/21 04:10 PM
02/19/21 04:10 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

All I know is, for a boy from the north, they build these homes for heat, and not for much cold. At all. We came through ok because we know how to deal with frozen water lines, but I'm telling ya, these fine folks don't know how the deal goes down in these cases. It's a live and learn. It's not the end of life as we know it, but the rotating electrical power was a fact. Most times, no power in our SA area all night, and since there are no fire places, it's not easy to start a toasty fire. Like my neighbor said, "Fire place? In south Texas? That'd be like putting in extra air conditioners in the Arctic." grin

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189424
02/19/21 04:15 PM
02/19/21 04:15 PM
ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

ny
I was reading about burst water mains there, How does a water main burst? aren't they underground? Here, anything 3' or under will never freeze, and we get weather like Texas had every year, multiple times, So unless the mains are laying on the surface how does one freeze?

Re: texans got trouble [Re: gcs] #7189427
02/19/21 04:24 PM
02/19/21 04:24 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by gcs
I was reading about burst water mains there, How does a water main burst? aren't they underground? Here, anything 3' or under will never freeze, and we get weather like Texas had every year, multiple times, So unless the mains are laying on the surface how does one freeze?

Answer. They get too cold. 3'? My water lines to a nice residential home in San Antonio area are not even 6" down. Maybe 4". And my softener and water heaters are outside in a fancy deal of some sort. We just shut it all off at the head until this cold stops... which is occurring!

And we don't live in the outback. We paid good Texas pesos for our spread which we just put up for sale actually about the time the arctic hit. We have some of the best things taxes and lure biz money can purchase, but that's how people in HOT regions build things. For HOT.
I was praying for global HOT, forget that goofy warming!
[Linked Image]

Son in law is a fire fighter in Plano and he just got off a 33 hour shift of shutting off water mains and he's one tired young man, but that's what good firefighters and service folk do: assist.

Blessings from the state formerly known as the arctic of Texas.

Mark

Re: texans got trouble [Re: gcs] #7189432
02/19/21 04:32 PM
02/19/21 04:32 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
The main problem is the biggest part of the Texas power grid is managed by an entity named ERCOT. They are the ones that control the rolling blackouts and power reductions.

With millions of Texans freezing and 24 dead, five members of the board that manages Texas’ electrical grid don’t have to endure the consequences of the power grid’s mismanagement. Why? They live outside of Texas.

The Energy Reliability Council of Texas’ board of directors consists of 16 seats. The board’s chair and vice chair, Sally Talberg and Peter Cramton, are among the non-Texans nonetheless managing Texas’ electric grid. Talberg lives in Michigan, where she was a Michigan Public Service Commissioner before joining the ERCOT board. Cramton is a professor at the University of Michigan and the University of Cologne in Germany, though his social media account says he resides in Del Mar, California. Another board member, Vanessa Anesetti-Parra, lives in Canada.

According to ERCOT bylaws, these out-of-state appointments are legal, with Texas residence merely “preferred.” New ERCOT board members are chosen by a nominating board consisting of current ERCOT board members.

The school districts in Texas share a big part of the blame also as they have given the wind power and solar power farms tax abatements of 19 billion dollars. This is in addition to the federal subsides doled out.

The State could do a lot with that amount of money. And the taxpayers are picking up the bill for those abatements.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189438
02/19/21 04:41 PM
02/19/21 04:41 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Cedar Hacker, No wonder they're helping me decide to sell my Casa. We just got the "covid" abated property tax increase for 2021 and it's up again like every year, but this year has "covid relief" as an abated 8.52% increase. Nice of them to Covid round that number. I think Wilson County rounded it up. Anyway, that's interesting that the folks with the phones texting back and forth, I vote "yes" or I vote "no" are out of state.

You gotta love bureaucrats CH. If'n you and I were on that committee, you know darn well we'd be accused of NOT being politically correct, or a whole host of adjectives. I'd be shot 1st meeting. You too.

People have died and we pray next time it goes smoother, but I'm not so sure more incidents like this couldn't occur in the future? Who saw this coming? Kinda like Covid.

Blessings to you over there in cowboy country.

Mark

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189440
02/19/21 04:42 PM
02/19/21 04:42 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
I would have been surprised the frost got deep enough to freeze up anything buried even 6”. Guess it would depend on soil, compaction, and how wet the ground is. And then again, I haven’t been following how long this freeze up has lasted nor how cold it has gotten. All these busted pipes aren’t imaginary, so I’m way off in my thinking. Good luck to all.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189475
02/19/21 05:34 PM
02/19/21 05:34 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
if i had busted pipes cause they shut my electricity off i would be one unhappy customer. i still have not figured out why that was done. hopefully there will be class action lawsuits.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189481
02/19/21 05:41 PM
02/19/21 05:41 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

if i had busted pipes cause they shut my electricity off i would be one unhappy customer. i still have not figured out why that was done. hopefully there will be class action lawsuits.

I don't know how it all is constructed here but just heard today we have 13 ruptured water lines in 7 buildings on campus and we never had power go off on campus, probably because we are across the street from Baylor Hospital... the "biggie." That's busted lines with the heat going?!?

I know we had a ruptured line in a ceiling in the main lobby area around midnight Wednesday night. Fire alarm went off. Evacuate. Whole thing.
I figure it's because the water pipes go through the attic area and that area just flat got too cold.
Who puts water pipes from the ground into the roof area???? They do here. Must be some good reason.
I grew up where lines went ground floor to each room. Here, I have the main system into my house and then it drops into each room.
Must be because there are no basements and everything is on a slab.
That was the difference for many, many people, especially if they had no idea to shut off the water prior to the cold.

I'm with you DC.
Something is weird though.
It's sure on the "news" here.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189492
02/19/21 06:04 PM
02/19/21 06:04 PM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Not saying I’m buying it, but I’ve read a couple things that suggest some kind of “payback”, as far as the blackouts are concerned.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189498
02/19/21 06:13 PM
02/19/21 06:13 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Better Midler says it's God's punishment. Wonder what god(s) she worships?

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189500
02/19/21 06:19 PM
02/19/21 06:19 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas

Re: texans got trouble [Re: ] #7189501
02/19/21 06:20 PM
02/19/21 06:20 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
Originally Posted by Mark June
All I know is, for a boy from the north, they build these homes for heat, and not for much cold. At all. We came through ok because we know how to deal with frozen water lines, but I'm telling ya, these fine folks don't know how the deal goes down in these cases. It's a live and learn. It's not the end of life as we know it, but the rotating electrical power was a fact. Most times, no power in our SA area all night, and since there are no fire places, it's not easy to start a toasty fire. Like my neighbor said, "Fire place? In south Texas? That'd be like putting in extra air conditioners in the Arctic." grin

Like mark said. I’m from the north also, there’s nothing you can do but deal with it. Ice storms were the problem we had, half inch of ice equals no power for a week.
We came out ok with the rolling black outs. No frozen pipes, we did let all facets drip.

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: texans got trouble [Re: jtg] #7189507
02/19/21 06:32 PM
02/19/21 06:32 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by jtg

Great article jpg! Thanks!
Like he said, "Texas is not winterized."

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189518
02/19/21 06:48 PM
02/19/21 06:48 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
I can’t believe that all Texans cannot deal with this cold snap ? I’ll bet rural Texans are OK, but urban Texans , like urban dwellers in every state, are the majority that are the most helpless ? Texans here please correct me if I’m wrong ? I’ll bet there will be some serious overhaul of many building codes coming Texans way.
Like burying water mains several feet below grade. I think I’d buy a wood stove.

Re: texans got trouble [Re: danny clifton] #7189520
02/19/21 06:51 PM
02/19/21 06:51 PM
Nw Pa.
O
Outbackbob48 Offline
trapper
Outbackbob48  Offline
trapper
O

Nw Pa.
If the power is failing now because of the cold, what is going to happen when everybody has a green battery car and plugs them all in every evening. HMMM Bob

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread