No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Need some more advice on gill nets #7188860
02/19/21 04:54 AM
02/19/21 04:54 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ok need some more advice on gill nets here. B en trying to practice hanging nets since I'm stuck at the house and I've got figure out how to calculate how many issues I need at what percentage and length but what I can't wrap my hard around is the ties. Like how to you know how long each tie should be and how may meshes you would use per tie ? From eveything I've gathered it seems like it's just kinda personal preference and I'm having a hard time with that.

So is there any like base lines ? Like right now for practice I'm trying to hang 8' long 3' deep net with a 2" stretch mesh (#6 mono or #139 old size). Calulated for a 60% ratio it needs to b 123.5 mesh long and 30 deep buuuut not really sure how I'm supposed to hang this thing. What should my ties be and why ? What should I consider ?

I mean I just kinda picked a random number of meshes to use per tie ,in this case multiple that times my steach mesh to see how long it would streach and got 16" and them multiples that by my hanging ratio to get 9.6" long ties but it's still kinda on if those just pick a number and see if it works type thing.

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 02/19/21 06:15 AM.
Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7188920
02/19/21 08:04 AM
02/19/21 08:04 AM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Wolf as I said in the past hanging on the 1/2 is how many along the coast do it. That doesn't over stretch it and still is a fishy net. You don't want supper long hangings the corks and leads will fall through and mess you up. If your hanging 2inch you can swing 6 meshes per tie every 6 inches. That is hung on the Half. 2x6=12 divided by 2 gives you your 6 inch hanging. You can make it longer or shorter. We never make super long ties because you run into problems setting out of the boat. If a hanging were to fall through it would drag that whole clump of net overboard.

Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7189270
02/19/21 01:37 PM
02/19/21 01:37 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
NorthenTrapper Offline
trapper
NorthenTrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Unless you plan in eating every fish caught I advise against it. The natives up here net the lake trout very heavily. They take all the leans out. There is a subspecies of lake trout commonly called the fat or the siscowet lake trout I believe and there more greasy than the back half of a beaver. When they net the leans the fats replace them pushing the leans to very small numbers in our lake.

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7189385
02/19/21 03:31 PM
02/19/21 03:31 PM
Canada
O
Ouananiche Offline
trapper
Ouananiche  Offline
trapper
O

Canada
Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
Unless you plan in eating every fish caught I advise against it. The natives up here net the lake trout very heavily. They take all the leans out. There is a subspecies of lake trout commonly called the fat or the siscowet lake trout I believe and there more greasy than the back half of a beaver. When they net the leans the fats replace them pushing the leans to very small numbers in our lake.

The Siscowet fishery has rocketed over the years from nothing. They're so oily they're used in your supplements, not really food so much. omega-3 fatty acids.
The Siscowet numbers have been rising for a decade, along with the demand for supplements.

Eat the leans, ring out the fats........

**Edit to add that "for a decade" may be a wild under-estimate.

Last edited by Ouananiche; 02/19/21 03:40 PM.
Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7189388
02/19/21 03:44 PM
02/19/21 03:44 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
I do three mesh per tie on all my nets. The general rule of Tie length is the stretched mesh length plus a half of it again. So for my 6" stretched mesh is tied like at 8.3/4" (No slack)

Your stretched 2 " is pretty small webbing . I would tie it about 6" myself. You dont need them too close.

Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7189442
02/19/21 04:46 PM
02/19/21 04:46 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Wolfdog, have you ever thought about trying to get on the show Alone? With your skill sets, I think you would do well on it.

Keith

Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: PineDoggin] #7189453
02/19/21 05:00 PM
02/19/21 05:00 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by PineDoggin
Wolf as I said in the past hanging on the 1/2 is how many along the coast do it. That doesn't over stretch it and still is a fishy net. You don't want supper long hangings the corks and leads will fall through and mess you up. If your hanging 2inch you can swing 6 meshes per tie every 6 inches. That is hung on the Half. 2x6=12 divided by 2 gives you your 6 inch hanging. You can make it longer or shorter. We never make super long ties because you run into problems setting out of the boat. If a hanging were to fall through it would drag that whole clump of net overboard.

^^^^^^
This
This is hanging your web "even"; it is essentially what I do with 5" (stretched mesh) web for sockeye salmon. 5"x1.5=7.5", so I hang three meshes every 7.5 inches. You are just doubling the number of meshes or else you would be hanging three meshes every 3 inches; way too many knots to tie.

Actually I calculate my hanging for "even" which is 7.5 inches, but then I reduce it by 1/8 inch so my net "hangs in" just a little.

Don't tell anybody, but this year I'm hanging 4 7/8" web since I think the fish will be a little smaller this year, so my hangings will actually be 4.875x1.5=7.3125 + 0.125 = 7.4375 inch hangings per every three meshes.

Does this make sense?

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: Wolfdog91] #7189984
02/20/21 12:36 AM
02/20/21 12:36 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I guess I still don't , see if like to know how I'd figure my ties in various different percentages , different size mesh and so. I just can get my mind around the why. Like why would you pick 8 mesh's per tie instead of say 12 why would you fish the ties in and not out and vice versa?

Re: Need some more advice on gill nets [Re: Ouananiche] #7189989
02/20/21 12:38 AM
02/20/21 12:38 AM
Northern Wisconsin
N
NorthenTrapper Offline
trapper
NorthenTrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Ouananiche
Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper

The Siscowet fishery has rocketed over the years from nothing. They're so oily they're used in your supplements, not really food so much. omega-3 fatty acids.
The Siscowet numbers have been rising for a decade, along with the demand for supplements.

Eat the leans, ring out the fats........

**Edit to add that "for a decade" may be a wild under-estimate.

The natives here just toss the real fatty ones on the ice or into the water for the birds and sell the smaller ones to guys down in Chicago.

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread