No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7190763
02/20/21 09:41 PM
02/20/21 09:41 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

We live in a liberal societal age and have our entire lives. It's just picking up speed as more societal causes jump aboard the "save me" list. Conservation for the ecosystem and habitat including animal species has now been leagued with human society needs; perceived or real, depending on your liberal ecological view.

The battle rages in the outdoors as it does in our schools, politics, churches, and homes. Liberalism is a "progression" of ideas and who can imagine where the progression ends? Are we surprised each week now as ideas that used to take year to percolate surface? Progressive liberalism is moving faster and faster in all the areas I mentioned and we can guard our homes and our families against it, and should, unless of course as most do now.... you think it not such a bad idea to make everything "fair" and "equitable" as we head towards utopian principles.

We taste the progression. The topics are here in TMan daily.
Fight the good fight and bend a knee in prayer.
Sounds too simple because it is.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: The Beav] #7190768
02/20/21 09:45 PM
02/20/21 09:45 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by The Beav
I would have called our last Fur bearer biologist partially anti when It came to trapping. He did his best to protect the otter and muskrats. Actually he was no friend of the trapper. The man we got on board know Is a straight shooter.

Thats interesting because he spent a lot of time trying to expose wildlife management folks to trapping through his fur school. I think it was beneficial in winning over those on the fence and helped create allies.

His biggest issue on otter was listening to science and unfortunately his science folks got stuck in a pretty bad paradigm. Once a new person had the science back on track, he didn't fight reversing course. Takes a big person to admit mistakes.

That's said, our biggest problem is the administration ties the hands of the folks that do the work. It wasn't Shawn that refused to be ready for a wolf season. That direction came down from above.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7190785
02/20/21 10:06 PM
02/20/21 10:06 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
Yes in Ohio. We would already have a bobcat season.

X2!!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7190789
02/20/21 10:13 PM
02/20/21 10:13 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
When I was hired 25 years ago there were 2200 applicants for 17 game warden positions. I sat on the hiring interview board a year ago and there were only 350 applicants for 15 positions.

There are way less folks today that have any outdoor knowledge and the anti-LE mentality in this country has also resulted in less applicants.

I dont know of any anti-hunting game wardens, but there are some wildlife biologists employed by Ga that make me shake my head. I call them butterfly biologists.

Pretty sure one of them is in charge of Chickasaw, lol. Not Brian, the overall biologist over all of our area, just the lady at Chickasaw. She decided to burn the dove fields in late July or early August. They would have made a serious green field for Canada’s. Brian asked her a week before the dove opener how many birds she had seen and she was all happy and said a dozen or so.
Thankfully I didn’t put in for that hunt! We got the Albany Nursery hunt and walked off the field at 1630 with 3 limits of dove.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 02/20/21 10:18 PM.
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7190821
02/20/21 10:51 PM
02/20/21 10:51 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Too many politicians in the DNR, many of whom are antis or people with no outdoor experience that are easily influenced by antis.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7190829
02/20/21 10:59 PM
02/20/21 10:59 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
We have appointed commissioners most are on the ball some are clueless. We had a anti trapper but all in for bird hunters one but the others kept him in line for the most part.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: corky] #7190831
02/20/21 11:02 PM
02/20/21 11:02 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by corky
Too many politicians in the DNR, many of whom are antis or people with no outdoor experience that are easily influenced by antis.

Interesting article: www.edf.org › people › eric-schwaab

. . . and as Forrest Gump said "and that's all i have to say about that".

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7190840
02/20/21 11:20 PM
02/20/21 11:20 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

As I mentioned above, these ^^^^^ topics are now front and center and will be for the foreseeable future. Their momentum is impressive, because they are a coalition of people that do not bend and will not quit, and agree to not stab each other on their way to the end zone.

I remember years ago, in a good debate with a progressive in MI who was on the game commission and his comment to me was something like, "Who do you support?" and I answered, "Excuse me? Are we talking about the partridge (it was ruffed grouse laws in debate) or something else?" He laughed and said, "You must be new here (I was). We don't manage for the species. They survive just fine. We manage the money. Who do you support?"

I never forget that conversation in 1982. He was a typical top level bureaucrat - in charge and he knew it.

That said, there are MANY dedicated biologists trying their best to make great decisions based on wildlife and habitat. Trouble is, they answer to people that sign their paycheck and it's not the taxpayers (as it should be).
Hug the good ones!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7190878
02/21/21 12:30 AM
02/21/21 12:30 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Half the game wardens I see around are dressed like swat officers. They sure have the big boy mentality. Makes them a pleasure to deal with. They always seem to jump out of the bushes ten at a time to catch you doing something wrong, but when you got poachers shooting deer in your fields, there no where to be found. Another government bureaucracy that needs thinned. I haven’t seen a grouse around here in 20 years but the state don’t care. As long as they get all the non resident hunters to buy the permits and license. There happy

Last edited by Ohiowoodchuck; 02/21/21 12:33 AM.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7190927
02/21/21 01:35 AM
02/21/21 01:35 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Originally Posted by The Beav
I would have called our last Fur bearer biologist partially anti when It came to trapping. He did his best to protect the otter and muskrats. Actually he was no friend of the trapper. The man we got on board know Is a straight shooter.

Thats interesting because he spent a lot of time trying to expose wildlife management folks to trapping through his fur school. I think it was beneficial in winning over those on the fence and helped create allies.

His biggest issue on otter was listening to science and unfortunately his science folks got stuck in a pretty bad paradigm. Once a new person had the science back on track, he didn't fight reversing course. Takes a big person to admit mistakes.

That's said, our biggest problem is the administration ties the hands of the folks that do the work. It wasn't Shawn that refused to be ready for a wolf season. That direction came down from above.

I'll stand by my assessment. And sometimes the administration doesn't get the real facts. The reason why we can't use guides or place Colony traps In culverts Is because we might catch to many turtles. You really think that that came from some know It all administrator. And If It did don't you think a biologist could have explained the facts.

And If It wasn't for the WTA there wouldn't have been any Fur School.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7190931
02/21/21 01:39 AM
02/21/21 01:39 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Amen Mark -- I thought alot of our ODFW people until about 5-6 years ago. I don't know when the switch was thrown but there seems to be more "educated idiots" than good legitimate biologists. I have had good luck with our OSP who are our game wardens -- to bad that is only a small part of their job. Even that is changing with their primary function being to protect our gov. (new york native). The unit that I "try" to hunt in used to have an OSP presence but have not even seen one in the last 2 times I have hunted that unit. We used to get a visit from them every time checking tags and successes. Of course we used to get tags every or at least every other year. The last time I tried to talk to anyone that knew anything at ODFW was about eagle predation and how I can prevent it. I was informed that " there has been no documented proof that eagles kill lambs in Oregon" end of discussion. I used to be proud of this state because if you look at the surrounding ones we still had the best trapping and hunting regs and good common sense people running the show -- that has come to an end. I guess that I was born about 50-75 years too late. It is time to leave.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191000
02/21/21 08:02 AM
02/21/21 08:02 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
No doubt they do.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7191006
02/21/21 08:06 AM
02/21/21 08:06 AM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline
trapper
Ave  Offline
trapper

Ohio, USA
Half the game wardens I see around are dressed like swat officers. They sure have the big boy mentality. Makes them a pleasure to deal with. They always seem to jump out of the bushes ten at a time to catch you doing something wrong, but when you got poachers shooting deer in your fields, there no where to be found. Another government bureaucracy that needs thinned. I haven’t seen a grouse around here in 20 years but the state don’t care. As long as they get all the non resident hunters to buy the permits and license. There happy

Not to mention they recently raised the prices on our resident licenses and tags. Seems to me like they are making money any way they can, and won’t put it to good use for us sportsmen. Heck, they charged us 3 dollars a spot to apply in the beaver/ otter lottery this year, and of the zone they gave me, half of it was actually private land.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7191008
02/21/21 08:08 AM
02/21/21 08:08 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
. They always seem to jump out of the bushes ten at a time to catch you doing something wrong, but when you got poachers shooting deer in your fields, there no where to be found

Have you written their boss’s to let THEM know bout their staff?
We usually rally a few dozen folks to write the higher ups. Then it’s often looked into. Just saying.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191077
02/21/21 09:43 AM
02/21/21 09:43 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Everything you're reading in this thread is going to get worse over the coming years.

Agency priorities and direction changing. Lack of qualified applicants. Current staff that should not have been hired.

Im retiring in 16 months.

I'll then be a full time trapper, whitetail deer pursuer, and a part-time river bank fisherman.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191103
02/21/21 10:11 AM
02/21/21 10:11 AM
ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

ny
Same in NY, especially in the fisheries dept.
I'm contemplating getting bumper stickers... "DEFUND THE DEC"... cool

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191185
02/21/21 11:26 AM
02/21/21 11:26 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Libturds have held the majority in WI DNR since the 1990s. Not just management either. Some of y'all are late to the party.
Look at the policies and public statements with an analytical eye. Been quite obviously libtard for decades.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191247
02/21/21 12:38 PM
02/21/21 12:38 PM
South West Pennsylvania
W
Wingshot Offline
trapper
Wingshot  Offline
trapper
W

South West Pennsylvania
Had a heated discussion with a state wildlife biologist who was doing a Bald Eagle presentation at an outdoor show a couple years back. She was maybe 22? and she kept repeating that eagles are strictly fish eaters. Challenges came from folks in the crowd and she became very condescending in her replies and stuck to her guns that the raptor ONLY eats fish. I was searching through my album on my phone the whole time until I found the series of pics that I took of a pair of mature bald eagles feeding on a deer carcass. They fed on it for a few days in fact. Her reply? “That is certainly nothing more than an anomaly.” I’m convinced this young thing has a future in politics.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191261
02/21/21 12:47 PM
02/21/21 12:47 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
The antis and gun grabbers are playing a long game of chess. A pawn infiltrates here and a rook is appointed there.

Our side plays checkers at best. Sadly.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191268
02/21/21 12:53 PM
02/21/21 12:53 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
With buzzards gone for the winter, it was eagles cleaning up my coon carcass's this winter. Normally has to age about 2 weeks before they are intereste

Can't speak for the wardens of MDC, most I've met are good........but my concern lies with US Fish and Wildlife. Used to think that was a good agency being leaned on by whackadoodles.......until I had a conversation with one......and realized the whackadoodles were on the inside and running things.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread